Who would want to be in James Brent's position | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who would want to be in James Brent's position

Nov 12, 2012
Unsure if he can afford to sack a manager, whilst aware that relegation is more costly, and with two of the chasing teams in this dog fight having games in hand were a long long way from being out of the woods.

My concern is that CF was given 3 objectives as highligted by JB in recent interview with the media. I would have given him one simple aim to consolidate the team and squad, getting the team competitive 12th/13th at end Nov2012. As far as playing attractive football that comes once you have achieved the latter. I can guarantee people will follow a winning team despite how ugly they play if getting results, lets be honest you would'nt pay £26 to back a horse at 300/1 in the Grand National just cause it had an green saddle.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I agree it is not a particularly rosey position for JB. It does nothing to increase his love for the ownership of a FL club. I just hope the outcome proves satisfactory for all.

Apr 1, 2009
To answer the OP's question, James Brent I imagine. He chose to be there. How bad it is for him at the moment depends on whether, and to what degree, the football side matters. There is certainly more to life, and more to his Argyle deal, than purely football. Don't feel sorry for him.

Jul 6, 2011
mattym":qwuovru8 said:
Unsure if he can afford to sack a manager, whilst aware that relegation is more costly, and with two of the chasing teams in this dog fight having games in hand were a long long way from being out of the woods.

My concern is that CF was given 3 objectives as highligted by JB in recent interview with the media. I would have given him one simple aim to consolidate the team and squad, getting the team competitive 12th/13th at end Nov2012. As far as playing attractive football that comes once you have achieved the latter. I can guarantee people will follow a winning team despite how ugly they play if getting results, lets be honest you would'nt pay £26 to back a horse at 300/1 in the Grand National just cause it had an green saddle.

Good points
For me it's all about the result and the position we find ourselves in in the league. Pretty football is a bonus, but I like it when we bombard their goal as we did on occasions on Saturday. We need a greedy b'stard in there who would put it in with his backside if he had to. Do we have such a man though?

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
briangreen":3w2r12dr said:
mattym":3w2r12dr said:

Good points
For me it's all about the result and the position we find ourselves in in the league. Pretty football is a bonus, but I like it when we bombard their goal as we did on occasions on Saturday. We need a greedy b'stard in there who would put it in with his backside if he had to. Do we have such a man though?

I don't know, but the problem is the coaching team don't seem to know either given their rotation of strikers.

Jul 6, 2005
Its an indication of just how little Brent knows about football and football fans when he sets Fletcher an objective of "playing more attractive football", which he has not achieved anyway as our meagre average shot-count and goals scored tally clearly demonstrates.

Its nothing short of pathetic and embarrassing in its naivety.

It sounds more like the sort of objective set during the Annual Appraisal of one his Hotel Managers rather than someone running a football team.

Something along the lines of, "Make the guests stay more enjoyable and they will come back again."

You would have hoped that the business man in him would have kicked in by now and he would realise what's required to attract the fans, customers, paying guests or whatever he thinks we are.

The best way to get people into the ground on match days is to actually win a game, the style is irrelevant; win games and the fans will turn up in ever-greater numbers, simples!

Do you think any Gillingham fans are complaining about Mad Dog Allen's up and at 'em style, probably because its actually more exciting to watch as it produces more excitement and more goals.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think it's a tough choice for JB to have to make, as a lot of us did he put his faith in Fletch (although JB has the added pressures of putting money in to back him whereas all us Fletch fans only have to think about plucking up the courage to admitting to being wrong). Sadly his faith seems to have been mis-placed which although is hard for JB to give up on, as a man that has been in business for a long time he will be used to making tough decisions. I can't imagine it gets any easier telling someone that they will be shown the door but if there was ever a man to do it, then a successful businessman like JB is surely that man...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
demportdave":nhzh2ulz said:
Its an indication of just how little Brent knows about football and football fans when he sets Fletcher an objective of "playing more attractive football", which he has not achieved anyway as our meagre average shot-count and goals scored tally clearly demonstrates.
Its nothing short of pathetic and embarrassing in its naivety.

It sounds more like the sort of objective set during the Annual Appraisal of one his Hotel Managers rather than someone running a football team.

Something along the lines of, "Make the guests stay more enjoyable and they will come back again."

You would have hoped that the business man in him would have kicked in by now and he would realise what's required to attract the fans, customers, paying guests or whatever he thinks we are.

The best way to get people into the ground on match days is to actually win a game, the style is irrelevant; win games and the fans will turn up in ever-greater numbers, simples!

Do you think any Gillingham fans are complaining about Mad Dog Allen's up and at 'em style, probably because its actually more exciting to watch as it produces more excitement and more goals.

Fletcher has played for West Ham and Bournemouth, two teams who traditionally like to play the passing game, so he's been schooled in that type of attractive football anyway.
The problem is that Fletch doesn't have a proper plan B and doesn't know who to beat a team (and experienced opposition manager) that plays shape, sits back and waits for a set-piece to score.

Fletcher's plan B is to bring on a couple of subs and throw Nelson up front and that's it!