What is the meaning of De La Hay | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is the meaning of De La Hay

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I used to deliver newspapers on De La Hay Avenue, many many years ago. So i was shocked when i was in a bar yesterday in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and saw this sign behind the bar, i asked the waitress she had no idea but she said it has a blue flag and the letters SCO, which i told her it was the Scottish flag and SCO is the shortened form for Scotland. So is the De La Hay in Plymouth linked to Scotland

1700678543503.png

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Yes i know it is street located in Plymouth as i said i used to deliver newspapers there, back in the early 60s, i just wanted to know if there was any linkage between Plymouth and Scotland.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Yes i know it is street located in Plymouth as i said i used to deliver newspapers there, back in the early 60s, i just wanted to know if there was any linkage between Plymouth and Scotland.
There’s a football club called Argyle which is a nod to the “ Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders” from Scotland. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ottawa Green

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
There’s a football club called Argyle which is a nod to the “ Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders” from Scotland. Hope that helps.
...allegedly ;)

Reactions: Mat
Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
The Valletort family are linked to the Mt Edgecumbe family way back in the 18th century. William Edgecumbe was also Viscount Valletort. Stonehouse was originally part of the Edgecumbe estate.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Also found this https://www.houseofnames.com/de+la+hay-family-crest#Early-History

But why was a street in Plymouth called De La Hay?

It is a very unusual name for a road/street/avenue: there are only a small handful around the country (by my brief search on Google Maps) and that's taking into account different spellings. I can only think that, at some point prior to the avenue being built, land around there must have been owned by someone called de la Hay. Around where I live a lot of land was owned by the Courtneys (the Earl of Devon), and even over in Newton Abbot there's buildings and streets bearing that name, from time when the family owned land around there.

Reactions: Ottawa Green