What has happened to last season's momentum?? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What has happened to last season's momentum??

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Justin":3hs5v2pb said:
crownhillpilgrim":3hs5v2pb said:
nickboyuk":3hs5v2pb said:
Maybe Shrewsbury fans think the same.

Yes, good point. It's a league in which you can compete for play-offs one season and be at the foot of the table the next.

We just didn't build on last season. Our squad is weaker and we're being out planned and out fought on the pitch.

Who says our squad is weaker than last season?
Why have you written it off so soon?

I'm certainly not writing off the squad yet, but on current evidence, it's hard to deny that Moore/Riley don't look like an upgrade on Threlkeld, and Wootton/Canavan/Grant don't look like an upgrade on Vyner/Bradley.

Mar 16, 2009
London
In my opinion, early days but in terms of the squad vs last season’s:

Goalkeeper - stronger than last season

Defence - jury’s out: left side possibly stronger, cbs and right side (last season Miller and Threlkeld / this season Riley and Moore) possibly weaker. Vyner was always going to be tough to replace, Bradley less so.

Midfield - more depth, more options, some really good additions with consideration also to age and potential (ie sell on value - a sign of a maturing club)

Attack - more options, genuine alternative to Taylor.

As said it’s very early days. Some of the players that had the biggest impact last season had probably never even heard of Argyle at this stage.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Last year we had a strong team with a thin squad which bit us when injuries and suspensions hit. This year we've developed cover in the squad and should be stronger when the injuries hit, but the strongest team seems to have suffered as a result.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I agree that on the whole the squad is probably stronger and has more depth than last season, all all areas bar RB and CB.

But quite simply, the problem is that we're not playing our strongest team.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Maybe Craig Brewster had more of an influence than I realised. Didn't he leave close the end of the season? He was with us for the upturn at xmas, and left shortly before out rocky finish. Just a thought

R

rdr123

Monster Green":r8893nlz said:
Maybe Craig Brewster had more of an influence than I realised. Didn't he leave close the end of the season? He was with us for the upturn at xmas, and left shortly before out rocky finish. Just a thought

Why did he leave?

Oct 16, 2016
The momentum? Absolute falacy

Diabolical at Charlton, Northampton etc.

Had a decent run for a bit but the ‘fantastic end’ is complete fabrication and fanciful nonsense

May 1, 2011
Shankster":1ni51cx3 said:

Had a decent run for a bit but the ‘fantastic end’ is complete fabrication and fanciful nonsense

Sadly this is true for the last month or more we were limping at best.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
rdr123":2ijx2mc6 said:
Monster Green":2ijx2mc6 said:

Why did he leave?

Never really disclosed. Only that he was called by DA and told not to come back

Apr 15, 2008
London
Justin":2l8nhpy3 said:
crownhillpilgrim":2l8nhpy3 said:
nickboyuk":2l8nhpy3 said:
Maybe Shrewsbury fans think the same.

Yes, good point. It's a league in which you can compete for play-offs one season and be at the foot of the table the next.

We just didn't build on last season. Our squad is weaker and we're being out planned and out fought on the pitch.

Who says our squad is weaker than last season?
Why have you written it off so soon?

Me. It’s a personal opinion.

I still think we have enough about us not to go down, so I haven’t written us off. You’d be unwise to do that after last season.

R

rdr123

Monster Green":3fhw6e59 said:
rdr123":3fhw6e59 said:
Monster Green":3fhw6e59 said:

Why did he leave?

Never really disclosed. Only that he was called by DA and told not to come back

Bit of a strange one then really. I can imagine that DA isn't the easiest person to work with at times!

Oct 16, 2016
Bristol Rich":ycargs34 said:
Shankster":ycargs34 said:

Northampton, Charlton, gillingham, Scunthorpe

Absolute pathetic, fanciful, nonsense that Argyle had some huge momentum

Aug 13, 2011
Shankster":3lu8k1wr said:
Bristol Rich":3lu8k1wr said:
Shankster":3lu8k1wr said:

Northampton, Charlton, gillingham, Scunthorpe

Absolute pathetic, fanciful, nonsense that Argyle had some huge momentum
No, no, no. The momentum we had before Taylor got injured. We all know that everything went to ratshit after that. The point being that Taylor is fit to resume that triangle with Carey and Lameiras now. And what's happening? They are sat on the bench and he's rarely if at all yet, played all three together yet this season which seems dumb. Very! Seeing Adams himself said they worked together so well last year it had us mowiing up through the league like a juggernaut. THAT momentum! Which we now seem to have lost by this TLC formula (Taylor, Lameiras, Carey) not getting TLC, but being sacrificed, suddenly having a crap defence, not having a Tombs or Masaki type playmaker in midfield which sould have been a close season target, we get Connor Grant?! We seem so weakened. Instead of taking the momentum we had before last season's Taylor injury and building on it. In short we should be top 10 right now and are bottom and it looks uncertain where the first win's coming from?!? ! That's the harsh reality