We still have a legacy to pay for | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We still have a legacy to pay for

Sep 26, 2009
Plymouth
Sadly all this talk about handing out sackings (your entitled to your opinions) does not sit
well with me, reasons for our current dilemna are I believe varied and cannot always be solved by removing people and spending yet more money, Mr Brent already has to fund the
legacy of administration, and with gate receipts falling will do so for some time to come, if
we had won perhaps two or three of our recent fixtures then I am sure there would have been a different outlook, what can the manager do on the training ground to force a player
to put the ball in the net instead of missing the target in the game?, how do you stop defenders giving away penalties at crucial times, getting sent off, not defending corners
properly, all these failings have cost us this season, we take a one goal lead and invariably
we concede within minutes, these players are not children, they are professionals and should
be fully aware of what is expected of them, I feel once again that the players keep their
heads down while the manager takes all the stick, so it's time for the players as well as the manager to stand up and be counted, and the sooner the better, I will say though that it is
laudible that through all this our hard core fans still travel in numbers in support, as reliable as ever.
Heres hoping for a change in fortunes.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
What are you saying then, that we don't need a manager or a coach on the training ground as they can have no influence on what happens on a match day? Why don't we let the players train on their own all week and let the chairman or captain pick the team then?. Of course there is a hundred a one things a good coach can do during the week to maximise the team performance from the sum of it's parts. Worrying for me is that we have no defensive coach in as much as our management team are a keeper and 2 midfielders. Likewise who coaches the strikers? It's a real chicken and egg situation. Can we afford to sack the current management set up or can we afford not to if gates slide noticeably which is now a real possibility if there is not a sudden upturn in results. It it is James Brent's money and his decision but the day is coming close when he might well need to make that decision.

G

Gareth Nicholson

I recall these same arguments being given extremely short shrift when it was Williamson, Mariner, Sturrock (II) in charge. They're equally as redundant now. The buck stops with the manager and then it stops at the owner.

Dec 19, 2008
The problem is that PAFC as a football business isn't particularly lucrative whereas a hotel complex with a load of stuff built on the old car park is potentially a lucrative business. If the club is a loss leader, it seems that Mr Brent is prepared to take a loss to make a profit.

You need football people involved in football clubs for footballing success. We don't have that.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
slider":2h3qvdzu said:
Sadly all this talk about handing out sackings (your entitled to your opinions) does not sit
well with me, reasons for our current dilemna are I believe varied and cannot always be solved by removing people and spending yet more money, Mr Brent already has to fund the
legacy of administration, and with gate receipts falling will do so for some time to come, if
we had won perhaps two or three of our recent fixtures then I am sure there would have been a different outlook, what can the manager do on the training ground to force a player
to put the ball in the net instead of missing the target in the game?, how do you stop defenders giving away penalties at crucial times, getting sent off, not defending corners
properly, all these failings have cost us this season, we take a one goal lead and invariably
we concede within minutes, these players are not children, they are professionals and should
be fully aware of what is expected of them, I feel once again that the players keep their
heads down while the manager takes all the stick, so it's time for the players as well as the manager to stand up and be counted, and the sooner the better, I will say though that it is
laudible that through all this our hard core fans still travel in numbers in support, as reliable as ever.
Heres hoping for a change in fortunes.

To some extent the players are to blame but it is the job of the manager to deal with players that make mistakes, they are his subordinates he is in place to get the best out of the players and if he can't do that then he can't do his job...

You say what can the manager do to deal with errors? When the errors occur, very little however when the same errors keep cropping up almost every game then something isn't right, what can Fletch do to stop us conceding from set-pieces? Work on set-pieces in training, they are full time pros, they spend every day on the training ground and it's the managers job to recognise the problem, address the problem and then ensure the problem is at least on the mend, if the training isn't working then it's his job to change the training techniques. Along that chain something has gone wrong because things aren't changing and we still see Argyle conceding from very average set-pieces.

Again when it comes to red cards and stupid penalties it is again Fletch's job to stop them from being given away. Ok so at the time he can't do much about them but what he can do is he can have a word with the player, he also has the ability to hand out warnings to his players and he also has disciplinary measures at his disposal. Instead what do we hear from him? Something along the lines of "Purse got caught up in the heat of the moment, it happens to us all". We also have Hourihane our worst player in terms of discipline and cards, handed the captains armband as if he's some sort of role model on the pitch, yes it's nice to give younger lads an opportunity to lead the team out now and then and I know that Hourihane is the player Fletch does want the rest of the team modelled on in terms of passing and possession but, he had just come back from suspension not too long ago and now he's being given the captains armband? So much for dealing with red cards, if I didn't know any better I would have thought Fletch is applauding his players for discipline issues...

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
fudge everything else. I just want to see PAFC winning games and injecting some good feel factor at the club again.

At the moment it's a dark cold building with seats and grass. No soul, no passion and no direction.