We should have sold Whittaker (merged) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We should have sold Whittaker (merged)

Feb 11, 2024
Said this in Jan (sorry) weve been poorly managed at all levels since Dec. We are down, based on momentum and the fact our players really dont care (they dont), drop Gibson, discrace today, pulled out of every 50/50. Gibson should never play for Argyle again, he was clearly thinking about his next club today
All those eye rolling, etc. Please justify your counter argument? Im happy to be corrected but a simple emoji wont change my mind, what is your view please?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Guiri Green

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Have a word with yourself.

If he had been sold and we were relegated, you would have been in the front of the queue shouting (in block capitals) Same old Argyle.
So counter it.

Where he done since?

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Selling him would have left us with a very short time scale to get reinforcements in also we would have to factor in player availability in respect of our targets
It would have been pointless selling him if we could not get our targets through the door in a timely fashion
Yes we would have the money in the bank but no players to show for it

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Selling him would have left us with a very short time scale to get reinforcements in also we would have to factor in player availability in respect of our targets
It would have been pointless selling him if we could not get our targets through the door in a timely fashion
Yes we would have the money in the bank but no players to show for it
His value would t have bought enough reinforcements
Tbh the fans have backed argyle Hallett has backed argyle and it's still not enough
For me unless someone with deeper pockets than Simon comes in it's a waste of time not a dig at anyone everyone has done there best but with derby and Pompey confirmed as promoted where do Argyle consider being competitive next year even if we stay up unless more money is available

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
It seems that a lot of players lost interest in Argyle after Schumacher left. He was obviously liked by the players who have struggled mentally since with him leaving.
Sadly I have to agree with this. I'm not going down the route of trashing the players, I believe they are doing their best. Unfortunately players at all clubs play for themselves first, manager second, club third, fans fourth.

Bali, Gibson, Morgan probably signed for us because of SS not because of the club. When SS went he took the players with him mentally, then came the foster car crash and you have a nightmare.

They need a leader they can get behind.

Reactions: oldage

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Silly thread.
The real mistake was the transfer window and replacement of any semblance of an attack minded midfield (to work in tandem with MW) with Alfie Devine and two other primarily defensive midfielders.
I'd guess that Forshaw is our biggest outlay from January and he's a notorious crock who'll be getting a big fat cheque at the end of every week to do sweet FA.
Clearly there was some budget kicking around to offer him a contract, he won't be cheap. The priority clearly should have been loans or signings who continued the same style of football, for all its faults, but Foster went out and recruited a load of players in positions we had enough cover for (especially if Butcher had been convinced to see out the season).
Seriously, when SS left were told in no uncertain terms that there would be a continuation of front foot football. So who the hell was green lighting Foster's signings and not asking him 'look Ian, who are the attacking players off our supposedly wonderful database that you want to bring in?'
I get the impression from various comments from the club that skirt around the transfer window that Foster was given this list of well researched players and turned it down flat because he was the big I am and was doing anything to throw his weight around.
Speculation I know, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was encouraged to go after Azeez at Reading but that he totally half arsed it because he wasn't one of his picks.
His hand should have been forced and he should have been told 'Ian, we're signing X attacking midfielder and another on loan because during the interview you categorically said you were going to be a continuation candidate'.
Its no wonder MW looks flat given he is being asked to carry basically all of our attacking threat on his own.
Same for Hardie, absolutely run into the ground and spent because we didn't go out and get a striker, ANY striker, from the lower leagues or on loan, to occasionally come into the side instead of the mostly ineffective Waine (and this really isn't a dig at Waine, but no other championship club would have him as their ONLY back up striker and I doubt many league 1 sides would even be happy to start a season, then not address in January, a strike force of Hardie and Waine only!)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2004
In hindsight yes, but at the time his goals were keeping us afoul
Sadly I have to agree with this. I'm not going down the route of trashing the players, I believe they are doing their best. Unfortunately players at all clubs play for themselves first, manager second, club third, fans fourth.

Bali, Gibson, Morgan probably signed for us because of SS not because of the club. When SS went he took the players with him mentally, then came the foster car crash and you have a nightmare.

They need a leader they can get behind.
Seems to need constantly repeating. Morgans fall off of form happened many weeks after Schumacher left.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Who should we have sold him to? We only had one bid in January for him.

Slightly off topic but according to reports Blackburn want up to £20 million for Sammie Szmodics with Luton and Brentford interested so any talk of getting £20-£25 million for MW is unrealistic most probably

Reactions: Lancastergreen