VAR | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
oldage":14lf80dm said:
VAR is creating more problems than it is solving. Get back to letting the ref decide and stuff the technology.
VAR is here to stay, you cannot put the genie back into the bottle. It has only had one season and there are many lessons to be learnt.

Prior to the start of next season there needs to be a thorough review involving the Referees, the clubs and the FA over how it is used. In particular, the Referee has got to use the pitch side monitor far more often so that they make the decisions, not some guy in a Warehouse. It also needs to be speeded up.

If you scrap VAR from matches, it will still be there because the likes of Sky, BT and even the BBC on Match of the Day will use it to make a big issue out of Refereeing mistakes, further undermining confidence in them and their decisions.

It will be like when the Cricket authorities resisted the introduction of reviews and you had the embarrassing situation of Batsmen being given Out but all the world knowing that the Umpire had made a mistake before the poor old Batsman had even got back to the Pavilion.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Perhaps (perhaps) the worst VAR decision to this point - Balbuena's red card for West Ham last night.

I was utterly shocked, until I heard that the Video Assistant Referee was a Mr Peter Bankes... oh, it's the absolute berk who refereed us against Wycombe in the playoffs that time. Where do they find them.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":2uihxy0y said:
Perhaps (perhaps) the worst VAR decision to this point - Balbuena's red card for West Ham last night.

I was utterly shocked, until I heard that the Video Assistant Referee was a Mr Peter Bankes... oh, it's the absolute berk who refereed us against Wycombe in the playoffs that time. Where do they find them.

Insane. Where was he supposed to plant his foot? Purely accidental.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Why didn't VAR overturn the penalty decision in the Arsenal game yesterday? Saka clearly and deliberately tripped his leg over the defender's leg. Obvious incorrect decision by the ref so should have been overturned (and Saka booked) Arteta called it 'clever footwork'

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
mervyn":2zx0hfsd said:
Can anyone explain to me why VAR decisions in American football are so much quicker than ours, in what is arguably a more complicated game where rules are concerned?

Probably because:

1. Their video referee team knows what they are doing.
2. As soon as a play stops the US TV companies are showing it over and over from many different viewpoints for the benefit of their audience and the video refs. Even in the premier league there aren't as many cameras on the play as there is in gridiron.

Dec 3, 2005
Last I looked football was played by humans and ref'd by humans, now it is being ruined by technology.

Footballers make mistakes and Ref's make mistakes and so do Linesmen.

VAR is taking away that human part of the game and ruining it.

The original idea of goal line tech is as far as it should go.

All this do I celebrate or should i wait crap needs to stop.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There have been some very poor decisions in the EPL this season but there was an incident in the Man City v PSG game last night that demonstrates its value.
The referee, who was excellent over the whole game, gave PSG a penalty for hand ball.
VAR showed, very clearly, that the ball hit the top of Zinchenko’s shoulder and not his arm and the decision was overturned..