Torquay Friendly (Match thread) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay Friendly (Match thread)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Biggs":npeyn4jx said:
Tugboat":npeyn4jx said:
Ladapo looking a real threat to Taylor right now. Great having that option.

I don’t see it yet. We know Ladapo has excelled at non-League level but struggled a little higher up, while we know that Taylor is a supremely effective League One target man.

Currently Ladapo is merely showing us what we already know, which means nothing if he doesn’t perform against those League One defences. Would be fantastic if he does though, and I wouldn’t put it past DA to get the best out of him.

Where is Taylor, is he injured?

G

greengiant1886

GreenThing":vy36bei9 said:
Biggs":vy36bei9 said:
Tugboat":vy36bei9 said:

I don’t see it yet. We know Ladapo has excelled at non-League level but struggled a little higher up, while we know that Taylor is a supremely effective League One target man.

Currently Ladapo is merely showing us what we already know, which means nothing if he doesn’t perform against those League One defences. Would be fantastic if he does though, and I wouldn’t put it past DA to get the best out of him.

Still hasn't fully recovered from the injury he got at the end of last season.

Jul 12, 2016
Bit of a concern. Taylor might be a good League 1 target man but that doesn't count for much if he is prone to injuries. It cost us last season and could happen again.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was a good test against a strong and physical Torquay team. They used a wing back system which we initially struggled against in the wide areas but after 20 minutes or so we got to grips with that and played most of the game in the Torquay half.

Carey and Lameiras linked up really well, some of the tricks and one-twos were fantastic but sometimes you just wish one of them would shoot instead of choosing another pass.

Ladapo was a real handful, his pace and height caused problems and he ran the channels which is something that Taylor doesn't usually do.
He lacked composure in front of goal and on another day would have scored at least two. Is he in the team to score goals or hold up the ball for others?

The goal came after Carey tapped in a rebound off the crossbar.
We should have scored more but good saves, blocked shots and poor finishing stopped us.
We just lacked that final pass or reluctance to shoot.

We moved the ball well from side to side.

There were only two changes and one of them was forced due to injury to Canavan.

Canavan is composed and Wootton is a leader and very vocal.

Conor Grant was my Man of the Match, he linked up play and got into some scoring positions.

Adams will probably field a different team for the whole game against Yeovil but I reckon Burgoyne for Letheren and Fox for Songo'o will be the only changes for the Walsall game providing Sarcevic and Taylor are still not fit.

On this evidence Torquay should do well this season.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":1470qii0 said:
It was a good test against a strong and physical Torquay team. They used a wing back system which we initially struggled against in the wide areas but after 20 minutes or so we got to grips with that and played most of the game in the Torquay half.

Carey and Lameiras linked up really well, some of the tricks and one-twos were fantastic but sometimes you just wish one of them would shoot instead of choosing another pass.

Ladapo was a real handful, his pace and height caused problems and he ran the channels which is something that Taylor doesn't usually do.
He lacked composure in front of goal and on another day would have scored at least two. Is he in the team to score goals or hold up the ball for others?

We should have scored more but good saves, blocked shots and poor finishing stopped us.

There were only two changes and one of them was forced due to injury to Canavan.

Conor Grant was my Man of the Match, he linked up play and got into some scoring positions.

Adams will probably field a different team for the whole game against Yeovil but I reckon Burgoyne for Letheren and Fox for Songo'o will be the only changes for the Walsall game providing Sarcevic and Taylor are still not fit.

Thanks Posty. Out of interest how did Banton look?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
PL2 3DQ":n7lntmm7 said:

Thanks Ian.

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":1w6rk09f said:
Tugboat":1w6rk09f said:

i'd rather see Ladapo excelling against this standard than not, as Dyson and some of the others have been described.

Ladapo has been a strong contender for MOTM in every pre season match so far. Keep it up Fred!

Mar 14, 2009
Lapado in the first half was excellent.

He looks big, strong and direct. All match he was looking to make runs in behind. He is an alternative to Taylor because we can now look to go in over the top with his pace.

Lots of neat passing which was sometimes very slick one touch in combinations. Conor Grant, Carey and Lameiras all interchanged well and look out for those 3 players looking to form a decent understanding as the season wears on.

Defence seemed comfortable. Riley got up the right hand side well. Created the overlap which often allowed the space for players to go inside.

Argyle faded as the match wore on because this was many players first 90mins under their belt.

A good test against a more than competent & committed Torquay. Be interesting to see how pre-season unfolds against better teams with more pace. Canavan looked a little slow when isolated and l do wonder if thats an area which could be targeted.

Sep 6, 2006
greengiant1886":3aic6k5s said:
GreenThing":3aic6k5s said:
Biggs":3aic6k5s said:
Tugboat":3aic6k5s said:

Still hasn't fully recovered from the injury he got at the end of last season.

IS he training?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Totally agree. Both have impressed me in the last two games.

Sep 8, 2013
Just back. Was impressed with Torquay who seem to have a useful squad. We had lots of possession but lacked the killer finish. Thought that Yann Songo’o had a good first half, but he was rarely closed down and always had time to develop play. Freddie Ladapo also had some good attacking forays and held the ball up well but failed to convert his chances. Some lovely intricate passing moves by the team but little end product in terms of clear opportunities to score. When the season begins in earnest, teams will close us down more quickly and challenge more for midfield supremacy. However, I do feel that we have a better squad to that of last season but whether it is good enough to take us into the playoffs depends on how things gel between now and the start of the season. Sorry I did not see more of the new signings as this was my first match into the new season. My verdict therefore is that there is promise but still much work to be done.