Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 227 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
So if we are patient, perhaps Foster will lead Argyle to Premier League success followed by becoming back to back European Champions.

Personally, I would be very happy if we could just become a solid mid-table Championship club, with the occasional tilt at the Play-offs and decent run in the Cup.
You want us to become Preston North End ? Look how there fans moan about that ! 😂

Mar 18, 2024
Falmouth
Evolution - The Argo Way

It's late December, the board have just opened their Xmas pressies and..

Parky: Well, didn't we do well.

Dewsy: Yeh, two great lads, only one club experience behind them. We made them superstars didn't we?

Parky: Yeah, so what now guys. How do we top that?

Simon: Simples. We go for no experience whatsoever and a guy the fans will hate (snigger), until we make him a superstar too. Any ideas?

Dewsy: Ofcourse. Stick with the lucky scousers, I know an elite coach going under the radar who just perfect. Let's just pretend we got hundreds of CVs tho, mustn't show our hand too soon right?

Parky: What we aiming for, mid table, chance of the playoffs?

Simon: I know I'm modest and jovial about it, but come on let's push for play offs eh. With our track record.

Collective head nodding and high fives all round.

Simon: Oh guys guys, save the wrapping paper. We work smarter.

Wait for the next episode due to come out in June...

'Implosion - The Argo Way'

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
I'm not sure Rob Edwards was shaped in the same way though, he only had a few months coaching England U16s after a few years at Wolves.

Steve Cooper more so, but he managed Liverpool's academy and coached their U18s before working at the FA.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they both appear to have much more experience of top level clubs. And Ian Foster was initially appointed as Out of Possession coach at the England U17s, so it doesn't seem unfair to say from that and the evidence we've seen so far, that his speciality appears to be the defensive side of the game.
Fair enough …I was just trying to make a point that coming through the fa pathway doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t have success as a club manager

Reactions: SWTT and Biggs

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
New chant - fully expect this to be sung for the rest of the games:

Foster is our leader,
Taking over from Schuey and Lowe,
They hung around for a while,
Then back up north they go,
Fosters not had it easy,
He certainly divides opinion,
But we must all stick together,
And stay in the division!

Alez Alez Alez
Very catchy I must say

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Oct 19, 2021
Apart from Ryan Lowe, has anybody come out with public support for Foster?
I wasn’t supportive of the Foster out chants in the PNE game, but the fact is that they did happen and they were loud. I’m absolutely amazed that Simon Hallett or someone else at the club hasn’t come out with some sort of statement backing Foster and asking for unity over the last few games of the season. It seems like such an obvious and necessary thing to do. Ignoring it seems so counterproductive because it increases the risk of it happening again which can’t help our fortunes in the remaining games. I can only assume that they don’t want to make a statement supporting Foster on the basis that they actually might sack him if things don’t improve rapidly.

Jun 2, 2016
I wasn’t supportive of the Foster out chants in the PNE game, but the fact is that they did happen and they were loud. I’m absolutely amazed that Simon Hallett or someone else at the club hasn’t come out with some sort of statement backing Foster and asking for unity over the last few games of the season. It seems like such an obvious and necessary thing to do. Ignoring it seems so counterproductive because it increases the risk of it happening again which can’t help our fortunes in the remaining games. I can only assume that they don’t want to make a statement supporting Foster on the basis that they actually might sack him if things don’t improve rapidly.
It's the only conclusion isn't it. Like an ultimatum has been given.

Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
New chant - fully expect this to be sung for the rest of the games:

Foster is our leader,
Taking over from Schuey and Lowe,
They hung around for a while,
Then back up north they go,
Fosters not had it easy,
He certainly divides opinion,
But we must all stick together,
And stay in the division!

Alez Alez Alez
I think I’d rather be relegated than hear an Allez Allez Allez chant ever again.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I agree from the replays and also that Miller should have seen red. The thing is most Argyle fans like fans of other clubs see things from a very one sided point of view. Hence, the mainly ludicrous markings for referees doing a very difficult job and the preponderance to blame the referee it seems every time we lose.

l have to admit when Miller went in like he did, it seemed a red in todays footballing environment.

Whatever the fans think about Foster, they have to realise incidents like that are down to the players.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
l have to admit when Miller went in like he did, it seemed a red in todays footballing environment.

Whatever the fans think about Foster, they have to realise incidents like that are down to the players.
Maybe, but he stayed on the pitch and we still lost.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Maybe, but he stayed on the pitch and we still lost.

True, but the question remains for me whilst we ponder if Ian Foster is good enough how many of our current squad are really Championship quality.

As a coach you can shape the team. Influence the way we play. Yet they can’t score for the team & when Bundu put it wide at end of first half against Preston, l think that’s an example where you have to look at our squad & wonder if there is enough quality in depth. For example take out Whittaker & Hardie, who can you rely on to consistently find the net from midfield or wide areas.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
True, but the question remains for me whilst we ponder if Ian Foster is good enough how many of our current squad are really Championship quality.

As a coach you can shape the team. Influence the way we play. Yet they can’t score for the team & when Bundu put it wide at end of first half l think that’s an example where you have to look at our squad & wonder if there is enough quality.
The negative tactics mean that we had to score the only chance we had and Bundu missed it. Earlier in the season we could afford to miss a few chances as we were creating plenty.