Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 300 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
299 just doesn't look right. 300 evokes the spirit of the Spartans at Thermopylae. Geddonnnn šŸ’„
Its amazing you should mention Thermopylae today. I took my new one to work today and it certainly kept my coffee hot right into the afternoon.

• Applaud
Reactions: Kernowgreen

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Agree probably the most bizarre 3 months in my supporting Argyle for 55 years....just loved the celebration of the goal on Friday night though,all the subs joining in like it was the goal that got us s promotion or avoided a relegation
I doff my cap to Devizes Green for reaching this momentous achievement!

šŸ†

Reactions: memory man
Jul 28, 2020
Does this make 300 ?šŸ˜‰

For me what we haven't heard speaks much louder than anything that we have heard, so far - the customary message of encouragement and thanks from the players , to a departing manager ....

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I keep coming back to something IF said very early on, in an interview I think, about how he saw Jordan Henderson behave on and off the pitch. I am pretty sure he said that Henderson was a good example to young players of what player excellence looked like. I do wonder if IF had a view of how players should deport themselves, one that did not sit well down here?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Thatā€™s also something I picked up on, he repeatedly described Henderson as ā€˜immaculate in everything he doesā€™ā€¦ or words very similar to that.

Perhaps he was trying to impose that level on players at Argyle, and perhaps he doesnā€™t see having fun and being open with fans and maybe having the odd drink and fish n chips as compatible with being ā€˜immaculateā€™.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Thatā€™s also something I picked up on, he repeatedly described Henderson as ā€˜immaculate in everything he doesā€™ā€¦ or words very similar to that.

Perhaps he was trying to impose that level on players at Argyle, and perhaps he doesnā€™t see having fun and being open with fans and maybe having the odd drink and fish n chips as compatible with being ā€˜immaculateā€™.

I think Foster (given his FA background) tried to treat the players like they were playing for their country at a tournament, you do need to be ā€œimmaculateā€ if youā€™re playing for your country at a tournament, but that isnā€™t sustainable over a longer period. Itā€™s a bit like when a boxer is is in camp training for a fight, they need to be ā€œimmaculateā€ for a month or two, but they arenā€™t going to be able to keep that up all year.

I donā€™t doubt that Foster is a talented coach, but heā€™s got a lot to learn before he dips his toe back into club football.

I think Foster (given his FA background) tried to treat the players like they were playing for their country at a tournament, you do need to be ā€œimmaculateā€ if youā€™re playing for your country at a tournament, but that isnā€™t sustainable over a longer period. Itā€™s a bit like when a boxer is is in camp training for a fight, they need to be ā€œimmaculateā€ for a month or two, but they arenā€™t going to be able to keep that up all year.

I donā€™t doubt that Foster is a talented coach, but heā€™s got a lot to learn before he dips his toe back into club football.
Itā€™s a bit of a strange thing to say, isnā€™t it?

When youā€™re the new guy, you should be saying something like: ā€˜I want everyone, without naming names, to take on a little bit of the determination, energy and commitment of our senior pros. Watch them in training; listen to them on the pitch; and ask them what the success of last season was all about because they know this club better than anyone elseā€™.

Make this point to the new guys youā€™re bringing in with you in front of everyone. Then, once you have the support of the dressing room, start proposing some changes that might, based on some credible evidence base, gradually improve on-field performance without screwing up everyoneā€™s work-life balance in a season where finishing 18th would generally be regarded as a good result.

This is what the best coaches I played under in amateur football managed to do, even with a constantly changing rag-bag of players arriving in variable states of post-Friday night fitness on a Saturday morning to play on a cut-up council ā€˜maintainedā€™ quagmire.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady