The stats do not lie - there's got to be some changes.. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The stats do not lie - there's got to be some changes..

D

dexydock

I read the article today on this website via news now.
http://mobile.newsnow.co.uk/A/603017774?-1905
Shocking stats and you can only wonder if the downward spiral of our club has ceased? Brent's intervention and Fletcher's great escape act both fantastic positives but these are simply temporary band aids.
I think the moon must have more atmosphere than home park on match days, why is that? Quite frankly there's not enough fans up there (genius), it's too expensive and the loudest fans are split up and thinned out. I understand the issues regarding policing/stewarding costs etc but this has made HP a far less formidable package. I coughed up for a season ticket this year having chosen not to last year as a protest at the cost and closing of block 15, but I couldn't stay away this year. I used to know what I was getting at that end of the stadium, and so did every other regular fan. I've seen some young families go up that end having been allocated these tickets on match day, I doubt they'll come back. A bit of common sense by sales staff, asking a couple of pertinent questions, noting some of the tickets were for children, and this situation could've been avoided.
Solution - cut the price, adult ticket no more than £15, similar scale for concessions and open up block 15 area again, allowing a general gathering well away from those who don't wish to hear traditional footy banter.
Let's get the crowds back, with an intimidating atmosphere again and cheer on the greens even when they are not playing so well.....

To be honest the mis-management of the football club and our subsequent drop down the leagues is obviously going to churn out stats like those stated in the article. I agree with you it is now we need to halt the poor form at home and start moving forward.. We've lost half of the home games already this season.

Aug 4, 2011
Home park used to be an intimidating place to come. How many times would you hear opposition managers state the home crowd influenced officials, or intimidated their players?

We now have an empty side (mayflower) where one linesman runs and the away bench is housed, a "family" area used by about 40 people where the atmosphere used to be generated between home and away fans, and a "rent a crowd" flag waving, drum banging bunch of kids behind the home goal - a place where traditionally opposition goalkeepers would dread defending, and Argyle would love attacking.

It's not the only reason I'm sure but it certainly plays a part.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Its more of a pleasure going away games to watch Argyle nowadays, real atmosphere and footy banter. Going to Home Park is like going to saturday morning cinema, or a Gongo the Clown birthday party, we have become a cheap plasticy sort of club now, the worst ive seen it in 45 years, including manager and team.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Where are the good old days of Fortress Home Park when teams DREADED coming down to Plymouth ?
Always knew they had a nightmare journey with little chance of coming away with a result.

Nowadays its guaranteed oints and a nice little break away by the seaside.

Prefer our away games and having refused to buy a season ticket I fully expect to watch more away games than home ones.
Another disgruntled and disappointed customer - Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
football-bet-data":2fbz1tbi said:
Home park used to be an intimidating place to come. How many times would you hear opposition managers state the home crowd influenced officials, or intimidated their players?

We now have an empty side (mayflower) where one linesman runs and the away bench is housed, a "family" area used by about 40 people where the atmosphere used to be generated between home and away fans, and a "rent a crowd" flag waving, drum banging bunch of kids behind the home goal - a place where traditionally opposition goalkeepers would dread defending, and Argyle would love attacking.

It's not the only reason I'm sure but it certainly plays a part.
All the above is true. I was shocked on a rare visit home. It all started when terracing ended. Groups of pals could pay on the day, stand with others who wanted a sing song and banter with the away fans etc. Now with all seating stadia, allocated seating etc. all those who want to have some atmosphere are spread all over the place.

Apr 15, 2008
London
But did teams ever 'dread' coming to Argyle. If so, why have we never won anything of significance in 100+ years? Home Park has never been the San Siro or Anfield (which isn't exactly a fortress anymore either).

Nov 18, 2011
I imagine a lot of the intimidation factor of Home Park was the fact that it was a massive coach journey to get there, nowadays I bet that far more teams fly down to the south west or are happy to have overnight stops in a hotel thus meaning they are a lot fresher for the game.

B

bandwagon

dexydock":zcqge4r2 said:
I read the article today on this website via news now.
http://mobile.newsnow.co.uk/A/603017774?-1905
Shocking stats and you can only wonder if the downward spiral of our club has ceased? Brent's intervention and Fletcher's great escape act both fantastic positives but these are simply temporary band aids.
I think the moon must have more atmosphere than home park on match days, why is that? Quite frankly there's not enough fans up there (genius), it's too expensive and the loudest fans are split up and thinned out. I understand the issues regarding policing/stewarding costs etc but this has made HP a far less formidable package. I coughed up for a season ticket this year having chosen not to last year as a protest at the cost and closing of block 15, but I couldn't stay away this year. I used to know what I was getting at that end of the stadium, and so did every other regular fan. I've seen some young families go up that end having been allocated these tickets on match day, I doubt they'll come back. A bit of common sense by sales staff, asking a couple of pertinent questions, noting some of the tickets were for children, and this situation could've been avoided.
Solution - cut the price, adult ticket no more than £15, similar scale for concessions and open up block 15 area again, allowing a general gathering well away from those who don't wish to hear traditional footy banter.
Let's get the crowds back, with an intimidating atmosphere again and cheer on the greens even when they are not playing so well.....

I'm not sure the club are allowed to drop the price permemantly? Also turning the us back into an intimidating venue is not what the bosses want - it's happy clappy corporate punters they want, perhaps I should say 'spectators' not fans!! If and when I go back to HP, I'm certainly not doing the Dem'port again, even though they have the only halftime Tribute - freaky place that!!

Aug 4, 2011
Specifically remember in the championship season, a game we turned around on boxing day from 1-0 down to win 2-1 (against QPR I think), might even have been ollie managing them - who said the home crowd won them the points. We were the 12th man, there used to be more atmosphere when we only had one side open during 2001.

I guess its catch 22 with a winning team = better atmosphere. I just don't ever see the atmosphere of old returning.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Matches this season in Football League:

CHAM: 55 homes 24 draws 40 aways Away win percentage 33.6%

L1: 47 homes 38 draws 44 aways Away win percentage 34.1%

L2: 48 homes 37 draws 43 aways Away win percentage 33.6%

I don't think any team finds it easy to win at home these days.
Home advantage is not such an important ingredient in the modern game.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
That really surprised me, league 1 and 2 almost the same number of away wins as home wins.

Aug 10, 2006
Steve Wooldridge":3h7y8szm said:
Its more of a pleasure going away games to watch Argyle nowadays, real atmosphere and footy banter. Going to Home Park is like going to saturday morning cinema, or a Gongo the Clown birthday party, we have become a cheap plasticy sort of club now, the worst ive seen it in 45 years, including manager and team.
amen to that.

Aug 10, 2006
Joe Totale":2tno66ky said:
I imagine a lot of the intimidation factor of Home Park was the fact that it was a massive coach journey to get there, nowadays I bet that far more teams fly down to the south west or are happy to have overnight stops in a hotel thus meaning they are a lot fresher for the game.
exactly right and thats why our away resuts have picked up over the years.