The 'Southampton Way' | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The 'Southampton Way'

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ucces-as-they-near-Premier-League-return.html

Read this really interesting article about Southampton, and how their incredible rise over the last 2/3 seasons. Its not, however, just about the footballing aspect, but looks at the fruition of the '5 year plan' - words that horrify most Argyle fans.

It addresses how they intent to stay in the premier league, and use Barcelona as an example. 8 home grown players in a champions league final..?

looks at there training ground (which already has an impressive track record of young players) and how its been developed. They want 8 year olds playing proper football, and prepare for the future.

To me, if Argyle were ever going to replicate something like this, now is the time.. Even last week Fletch blamed our training picture for SooMoo's injury, but Southampton's seems like its built for a winning mentality?

Is this plausible to Argyle? They've achieved great things in the last 2 seasons, albeit somewhat prematurely, but they are prepared.

I know a new stand makes more sense from a business prospective, but if we can churn out players such as Lallana, Walcott, Bale etc, surely that is more beneficial? Its not like we haven't got the catchment area?

Would like JB to see this, be interesting to get his views.

(Mods feel free to move if not relevant, although I think its directly Argyle-related. Thanks)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Fantastic fanbase is the foundation to a successful, sustainable football club.

L

lostinleeds

If we could produce such players, do the new 'youth academy' rules mean that we will be able to cash in to the same extent that Southampton were able to with Bale and Walcott, or would they get poached for next to nothing by bigger clubs?

G

greenblood79

If the Southampton way is so good and the youth facilities were so good why do they persist in getting our youngsters just as they are getting into their peek....

Shouldn't they be bringing their own through the ranks and not have to be circling smaller clubs like vultures?

I think this is something that needs to be addressed in football.

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Agree on both accounts, but if our academy was as highly rated, perhaps more will inclined to stay?
There should at least be a far cost on these players, and numerous ad-ons for promotions, sell ons etc..

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
If you look at some of the young players that have come through in recent years , Luke Young , Joe Mason ect , i see no reason why we cannot have a decent home grown side. Obviously some players will have to be brought in from outside but it does seem to be false economy to be a "selling club" when most of our good young players seem to be sold for a pittance.

Nov 8, 2010
Helps when they can steal talented young players from clubs like Argyle for peanuts.

What's the point in developing a brilliant academy if we lose them all for no more than £150k? Waste of time.

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
My point is, players are more inclined to go to Southampton's academy because of the quality imbedded throughout? If we built a similar reputation, this wouldn't be the case. 7m for Bale, 9 for Theo?

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Rather unbalanced article. No mention of their 'springboard' poaching of the head coach for example?

Youth camps likes this seem the equivalent of internal R&D investment for big companies in certain sectors - coming in and out of fashion. High risks, and paying off well only occasionally. Patent protection is a key part of an R&D regime, and there's nigh zero equivalent in practice in pro football for reaping the benefit of such investment.

This doesn't seem an area where many clubs can afford the gamble. Chelsea can and have lost fortunes doing so, to name one.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Manchester Green":3kjvdq30 said:
Helps when they can steal talented young players from clubs like Argyle for peanuts.

What's the point in developing a brilliant academy if we lose them all for no more than £150k? Waste of time.

Answer: Get rid of agents, and make contracts binding for their natural term, (on both sides). :thumbup:

Jan 12, 2009
I see where your coming from Drew and you make a good point but the system is all wrong, we could have the best under 15s side in the country but they would all be poached for next to nothing.

The key is what you said about building the reputation where the players dont want to leave, the best example of this is probably Crewe.

There youth side is always one of the best in the country and they do tend to hold on to them. But is Dario Grady a reason for this, he has a very close relationship with his youth players, he is at most games etc. What do we have?

Dec 7, 2006
It also helps if you have an extremely wealthy financial backer to underwrite the expense of setting it all up. For all his good intentions and help in keeping us afloat, JB is, unfortunately, no Swiss billionaire. :cool:

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
This is true, but it relates more back to the infrastructure of the club?
I fail to see how this is a 'gamble' - Chelsea gambled 50m on Torres and need instant sucess, they have an owner which has pumped millions in without much reward.

We're potentially starting on a blank canvas.. Already players like Luke Young and Matt LeCointe can make an impact to the first time, that wouldnt happen at Chelski..

Doesn't seem like it would require horrendous investment to reap massive (potential) rewards?

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Didn't Tony Waiters want to set up some kind of Academy back in the 70s but got rebuffed by the board?

Shame as it could have changed a lot about where we are now.