The Northampton Home Game next season | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Northampton Home Game next season

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
gaspargomez":20eezzb6 said:
There could be a 8,000 gate for the Northampton game vs a 17,000 gate for Exeter City (assuming crowds are allowed back into stadiums by then).

It would have been like Argyle getting the gate receipts of an extra home game. Just at a time when cash flow is so important to the club.

So it would have been great news for Argyle if Exeter had won last night. It s a blow to the finances of both clubs which is not good for Devon football.

I donā€™t agree. How great was the news when we last played in L1 together and they relegated us? Iā€™m delighted that they failed last night and spectacularly so. As far as Iā€™m concerned, the more Argyle are above Exeter League-wise, the better. More Devon youngsters getting into football for the first time, getting their mums and dads to bring them to HP rather that SJP, even if they might be wearing the latest Liverpool shirt :funny:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
gaspargomez":c07mpi09 said:
macleanie":c07mpi09 said:
Some things are just better then money. Watch Exeter fail and sit behind us is one of them. Im not bothered about missing a Westcountry Derby. :wave:

Much healthier to be pro-Argyle rather than anti-Exeter in my opinion.

Argyle could Exeter a pre-season 'friendly'?

John Cooper

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
saffronwalden green":1taa5r86 said:
Devongreenowl":1taa5r86 said:
Action Jackson":1taa5r86 said:
I saw a few people saying they wanted Exeter to win last night because it meant a full house and extra revenue for the game next season.

Now although i can say no part of me wanted them to win, the financial bonus of having a full house would go along way i'm sure.

Providing fans are allowed back by the time we play Northampton next season, my suggestion is that we make a huge deal of this game, treat it almost like its Exeter. Bring along your friends and family. Make a huge deal of it on social media, ensure we get 15k+ plus.

Depending on the schedule we'll have some big crowds already for the likes of Bristol Rovers, Sunderland, Maybe Pompey so why not target this game as another for a bumper one.

P.S - Cheers Northampton, hope you're all waking up with sore heads this morning.

Hopefully Ipswich will bring a good number too, as we havenā€™t played them for ten years. Letā€™s also hope the fixtures lot ensure we play Rovers and Swindon on bank holidays which should ensure full houses, at HP at least.
I havenā€™t seen Argyle play Ipswich since my first game watching them in the 65/66 season, been an Argyle addict since then.

I'll always remember the 1-2 win at theirs in 87-88. Nicky Law scored from way out wide with a (he said it was a shot) speculative cross.
Supporters bus broke down at Excretia on M5, we only just got to Ipswich in time for Kick Off.
If I recall correctly, a directors son also got kicked off the bus at Exeter - for drinking out of a hip flask.

Oct 14, 2015
Quintrell_Green":3vr8wu7q said:
gaspargomez":3vr8wu7q said:
macleanie":3vr8wu7q said:
Some things are just better then money. Watch Exeter fail and sit behind us is one of them. Im not bothered about missing a Westcountry Derby. :wave:

Much healthier to be pro-Argyle rather than anti-Exeter in my opinion.

Argyle could Exeter a pre-season 'friendly'?

Even a friendly would probably bring the idiots out so not worth it .

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Iā€™m not really bothered, personally.

The games v Rovers and Pompey have shown to attract in excess of 13k-14k anyway. Dependent on goes up and down of course but Ipswich, Stoke and probably even Huddersfield would result in 11k-12k gates.

Jan 27, 2012
A friendly would be good. However, if its pre-season then I expect it would be behind closed doors. Some iFollow revenue maybe ?

Barrie Davis

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
WoodsyGreen":2tg91veb said:
Devongreenowl":2tg91veb said:
Policing costs for a match against Exeter are very high, regardless of venue Woodsy.

Yes, that's the point I was making. That even though we'll lose out on around 5,000 ticket sales due to playing Northampton and not Exeter, police costs would absorb a lot of that.

Although it is true that policing costs are high, the club cannot be asked to pay unless the officers are deployed inside the ground. What happens between the station and the ground or in the town centre is considered 'normal' policing and is not the responsibility of the club, in the same way as if George Clooney was getting married at St Andrew's Church and large crowds of vulnerable, hysterical girls are expected. The police must consider their resources and plan accordingly.
When a police chief knows a local game is being played, the costs will be considered and met from existing budgets. If more cash is required, this can be requested from the Home Office. In 2012, Leeds United won a High Court action against West Yorkshire Police, with the judge ruling that the club only had to pay for police inside the ground and on land that it owned or controlled.

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
gaspargomez":18eelira said:
A friendly would be good. However, if its pre-season then I expect it would be behind closed doors. Some iFollow revenue maybe ?

I could be wrong on this but didn't we have a "friendly" against Excreta when they managed to put Bradley Wright-Phillips out for the season ?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Barrie Davis":cy2b94mk said:
WoodsyGreen":cy2b94mk said:
Devongreenowl":cy2b94mk said:
Policing costs for a match against Exeter are very high, regardless of venue Woodsy.

Yes, that's the point I was making. That even though we'll lose out on around 5,000 ticket sales due to playing Northampton and not Exeter, police costs would absorb a lot of that.

Although it is true that policing costs are high, the club cannot be asked to pay unless the officers are deployed inside the ground. What happens between the station and the ground or in the town centre is considered 'normal' policing and is not the responsibility of the club, in the same way as if George Clooney was getting married at St Andrew's Church and large crowds of vulnerable, hysterical girls are expected. The police must consider their resources and plan accordingly.
When a police chief knows a local game is being played, the costs will be considered and met from existing budgets. If more cash is required, this can be requested from the Home Office. In 2012, Leeds United won a High Court action against West Yorkshire Police, with the judge ruling that the club only had to pay for police inside the ground and on land that it owned or controlled.

Quite. But those figures I gave would all be deployed inside the ground or on the concourses at a typical Argyle v Exeter game, for when the stewards canā€™t cope. Additional officers would be patrolling the city during games. The last time D and C scaled it back in about 2010, they got a serious amount of egg on their faces when it all kicked off. Even so, the clubs only pay a portion of the cost.

For instance, the highest Policing cost so far for any championship game was Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United two seasons ago. The overall policing cost was over 200k and the club were invoiced for 40. As I said, itā€™s not just the cost that the club have to consider, itā€™s the negativity publicity and effect on the local community too. In my opinion, we are well off without the ā€˜Devon Derbyā€™. Let Exeter have that when next in the same league as Torquay. :whistle: