The Box. Why no visitors? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Box. Why no visitors?

My wife and I regularly visit the Box. Great layout and constantly changing special exhibitions and events. Yet on Saturday it was nearly empty. One of the staff informed my wife that this is now normal, and visitors only increase if it rains. Disappointing after all the effort put into creating such a great amenity.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
That's sad to hear. I think it's impressive.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I just had to google it to understand the thread. Not that surprising as I haven't lived in Plymouth for 59 years.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
As an exile, my visits to Plymouth are normally fleeting and time constrained. I have squeezed in an hours visit to the Box though, its truly excellent and was nowhere near enough time to see everything. I'll definitely go back and explore more when I get the time.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I was there with my Dad about three Saturdays ago and it was quite busy.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
It’s a shame that it’s quiet, it should be thriving! Would be interested in seeing the ages of the posters on here who think it’s great as it is.

Having met some of you, I’d say the issue with why the box may be quiet is that it’s not attracting enough of the younger generation. I had a look at their website and it looked completely uninspiring to me, just like the box the one time I have visited. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but for me they should focus on local history and promoting what a great history we have. I don’t know if that fits in to what it was designed for, but if it is quiet it may help.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The aquarium is exactly the same, very busy when wet.

Other than that, very very quiet this time of year.

I've been to the box three times now an immensely enjoyed it.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I've yet to visit but keep forgetting it's there.
Does it advertise or market itself much ?
I’ve not seen much marketing, but in fairness it’s a free attraction, so must be hard to get a budget for it.

Reactions: Guiri Green

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I’ve actually had the opposite problem, each time I’ve been it’s been too busy or there’s a school trip on.

Looking forward to having a relaxed potter around when it’s quiet, because I think it’s absolutely fantastic and seems to be getting good international exhibitions too.