The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I love threads like this. Sums up how naive some people really are.

Yes football is a money business, but does anyone truly believe we should be spending an unsustainable amount of cash on players and wages in a hope of getting to the Championship and beyond?

Why do clubs go bust? Why do Chairmen agree to having Premiership B teams in the checkatrade trophy? Because they live beyond their means and will give anything for more cash.

MK's chairman said earlier this season the club is making million pound losses, Wigan are only surviving because of their prem money and the cash their chairman is putting in. There have been countless others say this season they're struggling.

At some point these funds dry up, chairmen move on and the only hope we have to avoid oblivion is to get another rich chairman to take over. Each one with a potential of an alternative agenda (world cup bids, redeveloping the land, naming stadia after themselves and charging extortionate rent etc).

Paying vast amounts of cash doesn't mean success (Portsmouth), DA does a great job with the players he has, but what's to say, if we bought higher "value" players he would be as effective?

I would much rather a well run club, a sustainable club, with a chairman who attends games and cares about the club.

If JB was awful we'd be well out of the EFL, we wouldn't have a redevelopment in works, we wouldn't have an improved training facility, we wouldn't have an improved commercial team (marketing etc).

You've also got to remember we've spent the last few years servicing the creditors we had from the last time we spent beyond our means.

But, if anyone thinks they can do better, you're welcome to put your hard earned millions on the line and take the club on.

Jun 2, 2016
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2bx8fymx said:
One thing I've tried to get my head around during the second half of this season is why there are fans who are opposed to James Brent. Can anyone explain?

As far as I see it;

1. He saved the club from going out of existence.
2. Every season since he has taken over, Argyle have done better than the previous season.
3. He has seen us promoted and almost reach the League One Playoffs.
4. He has paid money for Ryan Edwards and no doubt improved terms for Graham Carey.
5. He is redeveloping Home Park and the surrounding area.
6. He kept his nerve when most Football League chairman would have sacked Adams (having found Adams in the first place).

And for a Brucey Bonus Point, we've had days out at Wembley and Anfield. Am I missing something?

Sure, he's not perfect (show me a football chairman that is!) but I reckon if you showed most clubs the above, they'd bite our hands off for it!

Essentially, the ABB will tell you that he is :
A clever, scheming businessman with too much money trying to take over Home Park.
And an incompetent fool who doesn't have enough money to buy decent players or build a proper stadium.
He does them both simultaneously. Quite something.

Dec 13, 2004
Ruddlemoor
I think people's issues revolve around the fact we had nearly Ā£1m of unbudgeted income from the Liverpool f.a cup games and we were told this would be invested in players it didn't seem to happen. And many were under the impression we would be getting a brand new grandstand within 2 years of him taking the helm, when we are getting a redevelopment of the current grandstand and it's taken a long time to get this far.

Oct 16, 2016
Premier teams fielding B teams in the checkatrade has nothing to do with money and everything to do with blooding youth and playing well-paid fringe players

Aug 5, 2016
999mattyg":g54u50jw said:
Sorry, are you auditing PAFC's accounts?
This is pure conjecture!
You have no idea about the finances. How much of their own money have the directors put in?
Simon Hallett stumped up Ā£5 million for the stand redevelopment and then some more apparently!
Your point about Diagouraga to Fleetwood is nonsense. Fleetwood coaxed him away because their chairman is a billionaire and if you throw money at something you will get it! That doesn't make it right (sacking Uwe Rosler to get Joey Barton in shows the bloke has a screw lose!! :lol: )The player also wanted to move north!
I will also remind you that it was JB and the board that employed, and supported DA, think about it!!

Quoting figures reported in the media is "pure conjecture"?

You are free to disagree with me, I don't understand the ability to disagree with me without implying I am lying however.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ruddlemoor Green":bt7e1n1e said:
why Brent has ignored 10 planning obligations under December planning approval? And ignore it when that will stop work dead in its tracks imminently?

(Asking for someone who doesn't have access to the site)
Any genuine response appreciated without name calling.

If the person hasn't access to this site, you may well ask yourself 'why' - I think most people will know the answer but anyway, here's a GENUINE factual response.

Tony Hopwood is in weekly (sometimes daily) contact with the planners, they are entirely happy with the project at this moment in time. There has been an agreement that a lot of the obligations are to be 'bundled' and completed at the same time. I repeat what was said at the Grandstand Committee meeting last week, the planners are satisfied with what is being done and how it is being done.

Now then, I have seen a very verbose post from a person who has obviously been given the wording and he has simply copy and pasted it to a) Avoid the author of the notes being 'outed' and B) To make the person who posted the piece to appear more important and informed than he already thinks he is.

Now I happen to know that both people have got JB's personal number and both have been told if they have any queries they should give the man a call. Have they? I think not.

I'd also add that this actual planning is regarding PAFC, it's a PAFC application, who's paying the Ā£100,000's? JB's Akkeron, yet another thing that the anti JB brigade conveniently don't advertise. Why? I think most normal people know the answer to that as well.

Agendas abound, there's no doubt about that.

My agenda? The main one Is I'm an Argyle fan that can't wait to see the Grandstand looking good and the other is I'm a pal of JB and the vile and sick stick the man takes is above and beyond anything any person should take.

Why can't we just wait and see what transpires, if in December 2019 we're all sitting in the horseshoe looking at the knackered old Leitch Stand with its roof off and seats gone, then the NAGS can come back in and sing from everywhere 'We told you so'. But let's face it, up to now, the delays etc etc that were foretold by the harbingers of doom, haven't materialised have they?

Hope that answers your question Ruddlemoor. If it doesn't, I'm sorry, but I would ask that that you don't ask any more for this that 'haven't any access'. People get banned, people gloriously (in the full glare of everyone) ask to be deleted for a reason, so let's not have any gobetweening eh? They have their FB page, let them spout forth on there.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Knibbsworth":1lz2l2ck said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1lz2l2ck said:
I always find 'information' about finance in football interesting. How can anyone other than those involved possibly know the sums involved? What's more why do those 'in the know' seem to 'know' more than those whose actually job it is to be in the know!

When Derek Adams gets criticism for how Argyle are doing, he isn't shy about using the media to remind us all just how prudent his financial budget is.

Some fans think big crowds equal big budget and good players, and it just isn't always the case. 50,000 fans at Newcastle week in week out doesn't get them in the Champions League for the same reasons.

During Scunthorpe v Argyle, the commentators referred to Argyle's 16th placed budget and how well our run from the bottom of the league to the playoff pack had been. You will have to take up your gripe with their research/sources with them. I'm merely saying Adams has is over-achieving year after year with Argyle, and some naive fans really do take it for granted.

But Adams is never going to say he has a large transfer budget is he? It would increase the cost of potential targets, players may ask for higher wages and in terms of the bigger picture, it would reduce the 'value' of his services. Manchester United are the richest football club in the world and Jose Mourinho still moans about his transfer kitty. In my opinion, Derek Adams handles (and uses) the press very well.

Now this isn't to say that he doesn't think our budget is small, but does he actually know that? Do Sky Sports really know that? From a logically perspective (and perhaps I've missed the point) why would the Shrewsbury Town chairman tell anyone othern than Shrewsbury Town officials how much the budget is, let alone how much player X, Y and Z are earning?

Of course, you can speculate and yes, you can look at attendances, ticket prices and what managers say etc. but I can't get my around what I imagine to be very sensitive knowledge, actually being very public knowledge.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ruddlemoor Green":1dhy225z said:
I think people's issues revolve around the fact we had nearly Ā£1m of unbudgeted income from the Liverpool f.a cup games and we were told this would be invested in players it didn't seem to happen..

SOME people Ruddlemoor. Just a few. Some of the plans long term for this club will knock most (not all for obvious reasons) fans eyes out. It's hard to understand for some in these days of Social Media and the 'I demand to know" brigade, that some things have to be taken slowly and all the balls lined up before any announcements can be made.

I'd also add, I can distinctly remember someone saying (it may have been Simon Hallett) that the money would NOT be used on players but on the infrastructure. So again, internet fact and the actual fact seem to be at odds here.

May 8, 2011
Ruddlemoor Green":2dg04e1i said:
why Brent has ignored 10 planning obligations under December planning approval? And ignore it when that will stop work dead in its tracks imminently?

(Asking for someone who doesn't have access to the site)
Any genuine response appreciated without name calling.

Because they havenā€™t been ignored as they donā€™t need to be signed off until the works they apply to will start.

As that work is the final phase of the entire project there isnā€™t any need to sign them now. I think people donā€™t understand the concept of phasing the work.

Similarly there are lots of sarcastic comments about no bricks being laid yet, well surely people realise you have to knock down a few bricks before you can lay new ones. Those people obviously havenā€™t seen the tweet from Wrings posted on another thread.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd also add that the super super freaks, the ones that mock anyone that says 'JB saved the club' have sort of won, because most that read that bile, ARE actually scared to say that.

Well, without a shadow of doubt the man did.

How do some people repay him. By slagging him off, making up nasty stuff, likening him to a paedophile (yes folks that actually happened on Free Chat and was allowed to sit there for days and days).

This has bugger all to do with our fine club, or football in general, there are some very nasty people out there who should hang their heads in shame. I don't hold out much hope for the ones that say this sort of thing, as they are beyond that, but the ones that allow this to continue in the name of 'free speech' and 'democracy' are the real poison.

Rant over, I'm off for a game of golf.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Shankster":3b0zr40k said:
Willis88":3b0zr40k said:
Shankster":3b0zr40k said:
Premier teams fielding B teams in the checkatrade has nothing to do with money and everything to do with blooding youth and playing well-paid fringe players

Give this a read and say it's got nothing to do with money: https://nottstv.com/notts-county-fans-v ... de-trophy/

Nothing to premier league clubs, everything to the lower echelons

The point I was making about it was that the chairman ignored the wishes of the fans (and some would argue what is best for football in general) in an attempt to make more money for his club which is living beyond it's means.

Whereas we have a club that didn't need to bow down to the premier league teams and Shaun Harvey because it's well run and not in financial distress.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I do worry that James Brent talks well about building projects in Plymouth and Torquay....but the actual building list that he has brought to fruition seems to be a total ziltch.....at least someone else is footing most of the grandstand refurbishment bill....lets hope they don't get the Brent bug of non-building achievement as well.....even the ice-rink is being pushed further down the road and seen as a trivial build.....a shed with ice has been mentioned.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Willis88":1pjj9fnt said:
I love threads like this. Sums up how naive some people really are.

Yes football is a money business, but does anyone truly believe we should be spending an unsustainable amount of cash on players and wages in a hope of getting to the Championship and beyond?

Why do clubs go bust? Why do Chairmen agree to having Premiership B teams in the checkatrade trophy? Because they live beyond their means and will give anything for more cash.

MK's chairman said earlier this season the club is making million pound losses, Wigan are only surviving because of their prem money and the cash their chairman is putting in. There have been countless others say this season they're struggling.

At some point these funds dry up, chairmen move on and the only hope we have to avoid oblivion is to get another rich chairman to take over. Each one with a potential of an alternative agenda (world cup bids, redeveloping the land, naming stadia after themselves and charging extortionate rent etc).

Paying vast amounts of cash doesn't mean success (Portsmouth), DA does a great job with the players he has, but what's to say, if we bought higher "value" players he would be as effective?

I would much rather a well run club, a sustainable club, with a chairman who attends games and cares about the club.

If JB was awful we'd be well out of the EFL, we wouldn't have a redevelopment in works, we wouldn't have an improved training facility, we wouldn't have an improved commercial team (marketing etc).

You've also got to remember we've spent the last few years servicing the creditors we had from the last time we spent beyond our means.

But, if anyone thinks they can do better, you're welcome to put your hard earned millions on the line and take the club on.
Bang on for me.