thanks ben | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

thanks ben

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
up_the_line":1qcxl1oy said:
No idea why pafcstafford's OP was taken quite so far out of the context that it was meant in.
I too have absolutely no problem and would in fact encourage the club to nurture a relationship with the armed forces and I actually feel that more could be done to welcome them to Home Park.
But I really do think stafford has a very good point. Perhaps Fletcher needs to spend a bit more time on talking the team through how to defend set-pieces, how to beat the first man with a cross, how to maintain their concentration levels than showing them, and I quote that;
“But it brings home that, whatever you do, whatever happens, there’s always someone worse off than you."
I mean in what way is that useful preparation for a football fixture?

There just seems to be this concerted campaign to paint Fletcher as some sort of Mother of Theresa type figure off the pitch. Sadly I think she would have more idea on how to break down a stodgy League 2 defence than Fletcher.

I also hope that the game wasn't that dire that Ben doesn't ever want to watch another Argyle game.
He thoroughly enjoyed it but whether he would return is another matter.

Wasn't it Cloughie who took one of his teams down a coal-mine to show them how other people worked for a living? Telling young footballers that they're privileged to be doing the job and that there are plenty of people who would give their back teeth to wear the shirt is no bad thing in my book.

Luggy had a squad working on a building site as labourers when he was here, to show the players what fans did everyday so they could affored to watch the game on a sat......sure im not dreaming that...

Aug 22, 2006
Mr Gillingham":11ffn8tz said:
Time and a place for everything, yesterday afternoon was not it

Why? When is the right time?

I agree with Richard Allan.
Yet again something that's turned into a negative to suit the ant-fletcher agenda, when it was actually a positive. We've had many threads talking about the lack of emphasis on the forces and it's links with Plymouth - why we don't do this that and the other, and then we go and do it only for people to moan about it. Incredible and it's actually proof that people have gone mad and are biased. I can accept posts about Fletcher's tactically naive, or he makes the wrong subs, or he needs to work with the defenders more on set pieces, or he's not the right man, but to use things like his body language on the touchline, bringing ben in to see the players, turning around positive/good/unlucky performances into sh*t ones is just nuts. If i'm not at matches I always like looking at the opposition report because usually it's far more accurate than some of the rubbish flying around on here basically describing us as shambolic. An example is the Burton game. Now according to many on Pasoti we were woeful, I believed it, but their website described it as "smash and grab." I know who to believe. The facts are we're on a very very poor run and the manager probably needs to go for the sakes of change BUT we have been unlucky on many occasions. It's that simple. Fletch said himself he sounds like a broken record. There's no green tint sh*t or anything like that going on, these are the facts. IF the right man is available I believe we should take him because it's clear that it's not working. Regardless of if it's hoofball (although that's not what I personally believe) I think for the sake of the club and it's fans we need a winning mentality regardless of how we play.

BTW - PCH who gets stick for some of his twitter posts also posted a great message with regards to Ben.

Apr 5, 2012
Richard Allan":w7213ox3 said:
Luggy had a squad working on a building site as labourers when he was here, to show the players what fans did everyday so they could affored to watch the game on a sat......sure im not dreaming that...
Exactly, there is nothing wrong with the idea. But to get them fired up before a game its the wrong idea, midweek when there is no game on its fine

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
I am firmly in the "FLetch out" camp, but I dont beleive he is taking stick for this. Its worth a go, he isnt ther first manager to do things like this.

Jul 6, 2011
pafcstafford":3vzfa0qr said:
briangreen":3vzfa0qr said:
Johnson":3vzfa0qr said:
soccerpilgrim":3vzfa0qr said:
Richard Allan":3vzfa0qr said:
Completley disagree actually, many argyle fans on ships and hm forces deployed all over the world, follow us on world service, i used to be one of them.

Shame it didnt reap its rewards....but fully agree with the thinking behind it.

+1 this. The original poster appears to be a bit clueless, to be honest.

Or has a different opinion to you.

No, just clueless. Another keyboard hero. Maybe you should come down and meet Ben yourself, a real hero

Thanks mate I have many friends in different regiments including a number of lads based with the marines in Plymouth. I've had friends come back with serious injury.

My view was that it wasn't a good idea just before the game. In the week or something yes no problem but I didnt think it was the best way to focus on the game.

I dont recall mentioning Ben wasn't a hero. I really do fail to see why thinking that it wasnt the right kind of mental preperation for the wasn't, makes me clueless.

But thanks for your opinion.

That's okay

I will protect the reputation of guys in the mob and what they sacrifice and I personally think it was a good idea. For me Chadders put more into the chesterfield match than he has for all this season.
Like many say on this website, we are all allowed our own opinion and this is mine and that's yours. Nothing personal

Nov 18, 2012
This is my first post so hi all - and go easy on me! lol
Personally I agree that the timing seems wrong, IMO.

I would have chosen a Monday morning following a loss (if possible) as a means of picking them up if they are feeling sorry for themselves and moping around thinking the world is against them, and getting them focused on pulling their socks up and realising the amazing obstacles people can and do overcome with hard work and by putting their mind to it. Obstacles far worse and harder than what they face. So if people like Ben can do what he has, nothing insurmountable is in their way.

Also, I feel Fletcher's approach doesn't help - he seems to come at it from a negative viewpoint - about how awful what happened to Ben was but not how it should inspire them that they can achieve anything if they believe in themselves and work hard enough. Maybe it is just a choice of wording or my interpretation of it though.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I have absolutely nothing against Carl Fletcher and I can see why he would want a proper hero to give a motivational talk prior to the game.

There are many reasons why Carl Fletcher should not continue to manage Argyle, all football related.

This is not one of them.