thanks ben | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

thanks ben

P

pafcstafford

I have just seen the official site Fletcher brought an army lad in just before kick off to in his words tell the players"it could be worse" and showed all the lads pictures of the lad after just having his leg off.

Now I fully respect the army fella (Ben) but what kind of pre match talk is that! Looking at pictures of young lads having their legs blown off surely wouldn't be focusing on the game etc

Completley disagree actually, many argyle fans on ships and hm forces deployed all over the world, follow us on world service, i used to be one of them.

Shame it didnt reap its rewards....but fully agree with the thinking behind it.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Richard Allan":8y84yfwb said:
Completley disagree actually, many argyle fans on ships and hm forces deployed all over the world, follow us on world service, i used to be one of them.

+1 this. The original poster appears to be a bit clueless, to be honest.

Oct 10, 2012
soccerpilgrim":h34edvwe said:
Richard Allan":h34edvwe said:

Or has a different opinion to you.

R

RWW

In Michael Jordan's autobiography he says that the hardest games he played were the ones where he met a terminally ill child before the game in the locker room.

Trying to convince yourself to focus on a basketball match after seeing something so much more important was his issue.

Jul 6, 2011
Johnson":3kt549qf said:
soccerpilgrim":3kt549qf said:
Richard Allan":3kt549qf said:

No, just clueless. Another keyboard hero. Maybe you should come down and meet Ben yourself, a real hero

P

pafcstafford

briangreen":2xelv1x5 said:
Johnson":2xelv1x5 said:
soccerpilgrim":2xelv1x5 said:
Richard Allan":2xelv1x5 said:

No, just clueless. Another keyboard hero. Maybe you should come down and meet Ben yourself, a real hero

Thanks mate I have many friends in different regiments including a number of lads based with the marines in Plymouth. I've had friends come back with serious injury.

My view was that it wasn't a good idea just before the game. In the week or something yes no problem but I didnt think it was the best way to focus on the game.

I dont recall mentioning Ben wasn't a hero. I really do fail to see why thinking that it wasnt the right kind of mental preperation for the wasn't, makes me clueless.

But thanks for your opinion.

Apr 5, 2012
This is the wrong attitude to have.

The squad dont need to be told it can get much worse, they need to be told it can get much better to motivate them otherwise more complacency will come in.

Oct 10, 2012
Rattler":30z782bt said:

The squad dont need to be told it can get much worse, they need to be told it can get much better to motivate them otherwise more complacency will come in.

This for me.

P

pafcstafford

Johnson":6rx4wdj4 said:
Rattler":6rx4wdj4 said:

This for me.

probably better and more simply put than myself. think some thought it was a pop at the lad who came in.

O

old redeyes

soccerpilgrim":1gw06zmc said:
Richard Allan":1gw06zmc said:

What is this thinking that you are both fully behind? What were the rewards you were expecting?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
No idea why pafcstafford's OP was taken quite so far out of the context that it was meant in.
I too have absolutely no problem and would in fact encourage the club to nurture a relationship with the armed forces and I actually feel that more could be done to welcome them to Home Park.
But I really do think stafford has a very good point. Perhaps Fletcher needs to spend a bit more time on talking the team through how to defend set-pieces, how to beat the first man with a cross, how to maintain their concentration levels than showing them, and I quote that;
“But it brings home that, whatever you do, whatever happens, there’s always someone worse off than you."
I mean in what way is that useful preparation for a football fixture?

There just seems to be this concerted campaign to paint Fletcher as some sort of Mother of Theresa type figure off the pitch. Sadly I think she would have more idea on how to break down a stodgy League 2 defence than Fletcher.

I also hope that the game wasn't that dire that Ben doesn't ever want to watch another Argyle game.

Aug 10, 2006
i know ben he is an inspiration and i can sort of see why fletch did it and is he saying then that the players are feeling sorry for themselves if they are then they should get over themselves and get on with it.