Thank you / Lets be friends | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thank you / Lets be friends

Dec 6, 2011
Hi All

Firstly as many of you will know I lost my father recently and its been a bit of a tough time. I wanted to thank all the Argyle fans for your messages, calls, tweets etc. It has been a huge help. Dad was a massive Argyle fan and I've put some memories of our trips to Home Park on the rememberance thread that Nikkk kindly started on here.

Aside from being the worst experience of my life this period really has given me some perspective. Pre-Admin I was always obsessed with Argyle following us home and away but obviously the fight to save the Club and the Presidents role have taken that a step further. I got to the point where i was constantly checking pasoti, replying to every tweet and treating Argyle like a job rather than a love.

I have just finished jotting some notes for Dads funeral on Tuesday and I thought I would catch up on the Argyle internet world for the first time in a while. Blimey, ha.

There are a few myths out there that I guess could either be left to fester but I think its only right to clear some up. I will no doubt be hammered in some quarters for it but hey, if I am moaned at for being honest then I can live with that.

Firstly the thread about Charlie the drummer, the banners in the Devonport and the myth that FV was somehow set up to silence any anti-Club noises. I really have never read for much rubbish in my life. In reality this is what happened. Some lads brought a flag in, a steward said 'do you have a fire certificate because I will have to take it if you don't' (I checked this with the stewards. The lads didn't and willingly handed it over. To answer the other questions yes all FV flags have the fire safety documentation. Dave Boobyer the Stadium manager is very hot on this. So not orders to rip banners off people, no state directives and no big deal.

So Charlie banged his drum when people shouted Fletcher out. Maybe not the wisest thing to do but he is a young lad. It isn't the end of the World.

To the whole attacks on FV. It is well out of all proportions. Nobody is told what to do, nobody is told what to sing and certainly never, ever has the Club spoken to me or anyone else involved in FV and tried to push anything Club wise onto the group. We simply have a few hundred, mainly youngsters who want to get behind the team no matter what. That maybe mad, stupid or illogical to some of us but it is what they want to do. I remember being 14 and thinking that Shilton was God and that he could do no wrong. Years on perhaps with the benefit of growing up and more information i realised that not all was as it seemed. There is nothing sinister. Simply kids wanting to cheer the team.

Fans should be able to boo if they want to and fans should be able to cheer if they want to. Anyone who tries to suppress either is wrong.

There is also no need to the sectioning off of Argyle fans into pro and anti camps. We all love this Club. This site should be about free debate not hammering somebody for an opposing view.

Onto the 'James Brent doesn't care' etc etc. This could not be further from the truth. I had a brief chat with James Brent last week (obviously I have had other things on my mind so it was quick) and it is clear that he is hurting. The results are worrying him sick just like all of us. One thing is absolutely crystal clear to me though - we now have an owner that does things properly. If there is an issue it is dealt with behind closed doors and in the private. I actually told JB that he should let the supporters know how he is feeling /how the Club plans to deal with it. He refuses to be drawn into the public drama that is the average football Club. I have a feeling that whilst at the moment it may drive us crazy but in the long term he will instill a professionalism to this Club that has never been seen before. I guess the message of this paragraph is that just because everything isn't reported doesn't mean nothing is happening all he time. Things move at the Club every single day of the week whether it be challenging people, transfer targets etc etc.

These are frustrating times for all Argyle fans. Turning on each other isn't the answer.I travelled to Bradford last week in memory of Dad. It was hard to go and even harder to come back. This run is killing me and every goal that goes in sucks the life out of me. I have light at the end of my tunnel though and I think in the near future as everything unfolds and the Club communicates its thoughts we will all share in that.

I wouldn't mind betting that James Brent is spending more time on Argyle than the rest of his businesses put together at the moment. This is as many have said the first real test of the Brent era. He'll pass it with flying colours. Why? Because he does things properly and will I am sure produce a communication to supporters in the near future. Hold tight everyone. As always with Argyle it is never smooth. If truth be told though we wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks again for everything and once the funeral is done I will get back into routine and reply to the stack of emails / tweets etc.

Chris x

Jul 29, 2010
Smiffy doesn't agree with the facetw@ttification of modern life, but if he did, he'd 'like' that post.

It's nice to hear something even quasi official that doesn't bury it's head in the sand, excuse everything as simply a run of bad luck and gives no indication that it's hurting one little bit. Engagement, not delusional detachment and excuse mongering.

Thing is though it's not your place to do it Chris, especially at this of all times. The media department should hang it's head in shame that you've articulated more of the hurt we all feel and more reassurance in a stolen few minutes from your distractions than it's managed in months. You have better things to do with your time right now, engagement and communication however is their job, but still blind propaganda is all we are fed.

All the best for Tuesday fella, our thoughts are with you and yours.

Mar 23, 2008
Some interesting and sensible points which are good to read. Sorry for your loss Chris and thanks for taking the time to post.

Jul 1, 2006
It'll never be forgotten - what you did for Argyle - in this neck of the woods Chris. Thanks for your honesty & sorry to hear about your loss.

Dec 9, 2008
Buy that man a drink... Excellent post, and one I trust!

Hope all goes well on Tuesday Mr. P for you and your family.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Nail head, hit. Top post Chris, I think we all needed to read that.

Thanks for taking the time & going to the trouble, at this difficult time. Our thoughts are with you.

I reckon you deserve to put on the number 9 shirt for a game, as an earned honour. You couldn't do any worse :thumbs:

T

t._green

Many thanks Chris, communication is everything and you have expressed the situation brilliantly.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I can offer some comfort at this difficult time, then I believe that there is more to life, and more in each of us that says the end is not in fact the end. In short, I believe human beings are not just unique physical beings but spiritual beings too, with all those abstract attributes that define us in relationship to one another, like self-sacrifice love and generosity . All the major faiths believe there is more than just the here and now, and as a Christian I take great comfort in Jesus's words “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

Obviously, I'm not sure of your beliefs, so please feel free to dismiss and reject this post if it offends, I only post in case it helps and brings eternal hope, and some measure of peace beyond the reluctance of our age to touch upon such things.

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

stewthenoo

Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
tigertony":2ltx81u1 said:
Take it steady Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWY1vFMd ... re=related

I've always had and still have total faith in JB to produce .. with foundations.

Easy Tiger. You've reduced me to a blubbering heap.

Chris, excellent post and good to see you back on the net.

Hope all goes well Tues. My thoughts are with you and your family.