Team v Barnsley? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team v Barnsley?

Feb 2, 2007
Old Gunner":1y9e7l9c said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":1y9e7l9c said:
Taylor up front?? What is this fixation with him?? Judged on this seasons performances he’s done absolutely nothing apart from give away free kicks and hasn’t scored for goodness knows how long.

Why would you drop the clubs top goal scorer??

We will have to disagree Terence :) Taylor needs to be in the team with or without Freddie. As I have said elsewhere team sport is about the sum of the parts not individuals...and what is the point of a 20 goal striker if the team gets relegated? We have phenomenally short memories and our best spell of football coincided with Taylor being in the team...Pasoti was in despair when he got injured last season. Taylor buys precious seconds with his hold up play which brings Carey and Lameiras into the game...Freddie can't head a ball to save his life... watch him today, he actively avoids heading the ball. It's one of the strangest things I've seen from a striker.

We also need Oscar on the pitch...I've lost track of what's happened to Songo'o, we need a scrapper out there today.

I totally agree and posted similar in August/September time when it was patently obvious what Fred's merits were and what we missed without Taylor. Ever since Taylor joined he has been a talismanic force, when given a run of starts and when able to maintain fitness. It's been very frustrating and I would imagine Derek has the dilemna in his mind all the time.

My post back then basically stated- if he picks Fred he needs to score/assist 2 goals per game to make up for the system issues his selection causes us; Taylor would not directly contribute this but by getting us up the pitch, occupying two defenders so well, being an aggressive aerial force, he enabled the space for Ruben and GC to score/assist more. Fred simply doesn't do this and despite his great scoring record, the team has suffered.

Sadly I think it's too late now- Taylor needed a run a long time ago in the season.

Dec 2, 2010
Gillingham were poor but were able to change the game with personnel and pace.

Jones and Edwards coped well with Eaves in the first half, but Lovell clearly saw that joy for them would come from running at defenders wide. With what we have we need Ladapo and Lameiras to take them on and set up chances for Carey. There is absolutely no point in lumping the ball to Ladapo as happened for most of the second half. We need a lot more threat today from Sarcevic, Fox, Ness

Whatever the team out there, they owe us a performance and a win...Resurgam!