Team of this Century | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team of this Century

Aug 5, 2016
Pogleswoody":wrh6ts5y said:
Knibbsworth":wrh6ts5y said:
Kentishgreen":wrh6ts5y said:
Can’t get over the number of people who would have Holloway manage this “team”. Personally I wouldn’t want the gnome from Bristol anywhere near an Argyle team even an imaginary one. What’s the matter with Sturrock. He was much much more successful and stayed for a considerably longer period of time.

I always felt Holloway's Argyle team played with positivity and a spring in their step from the off.

I remember one game in the Championship when Argyle drew at home with Dennis Wise's Leeds, the season they went down. Argyle were pedestrian, played long ball football an didn't look like scoring, and neither did Leeds. Argyle were unrecognisable from the performances we had been used to at home despite having the usual players available. We were booting the ball up the pitch to no-one and doing all kinds of things the players didn't usually do. It turned out Holloway had been away for personal reasons and not present at the game, leaving Des Bulpin I think to take charge for the match.

It struck home just how important a manager's presence is on the way the team plays. The team talk, his presence, his energy - it is all evidently vital because one absence from the manager and it was noticeable.

Looking at Argyle now, there is no doubt that Ryan Lowe is the biggest personality at the club, the most charismatic, and the team wouldn't tick without him being around. Holloway was exactly the same.

In terms of leading a team out, creating a positive atmosphere and getting the maximum out of every player on the pitch, I don't see how you can feel that strongly against Holloway. His subs we usually good and made sense, and he won more games than he lost.

If he hadn't have gone and the board didn't dismantle his team, we would have been a fairly good bet for promotion that season.

What did Sturrock bring after he was hired a second time that was better than Holloway was doing before?

Integrity, honesty, trust.

All very important characteristics going forward, but looking back not many Spurs fans would pick Martin Jol over Harry Redknapp on the basis that he was a more trustworthy bloke. Fans just want to remember the good times, the good memories, decent winning football. For all Holloway's faults he was a brilliant manager at Argyle, his signings were spot on, his football was entertaining and you could trust him to put out a good side and get the best out of them. I don't see what the surprise is at him being the pick of the managers of the last 20 years. After all his side had the highest finish and his signings fetched a fair few million quid in profits.