Swansea huge losses. Keep our finances in perspective? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Swansea huge losses. Keep our finances in perspective?

Feb 20, 2021
Am I right in thinking this might be the first season, for a while, without a Championship Club getting a points deduction? Just our luck! Reading, Wigan, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday have all been hit with deductions in the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Nov 22, 2018
Is this anything to do with the betting odds posted the other day which had Swansea with higher odds of relegation compared to us?

Oct 31, 2015
Am I right in thinking this might be the first season, for a while, without a Championship Club getting a points deduction? Just our luck! Reading, Wigan, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday have all been hit with deductions in the last 3 or 4 seasons.
Makes no odds. Lets be truthful we are either the 3rd or 4th worse football team in the championship.

Thank god the football club is being run properly.👏👏I'd rather relegation than those debts.

Football is going to the wall soon.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Is this anything to do with the betting odds posted the other day which had Swansea with higher odds of relegation compared to us?
no, that was an incorrect / out of date price on the summary page of Oddschecker for Swansea.

Jan 6, 2004
Swansea have lost close to £30 million in the last 2 years.
Their turnover for 22/23 was £21.5 million. They lost £17.9. Therefore they spent £39.4 million in 22/23.
This is ridiculous.
I'd rather get relegated than run the club like Swansea are allowed to do by the extremely lax FA and EFL rules.
When we stay up on Saturday let's keep in perspective what an amazing achievement it will be with our budget and financial security that Simon Hallett insists on compared to the money madness of the other clubs.
If the money is by way of owner equity investment rather than loans, why would us fans care? I would welcome that sort of investment, although I would hope for a better return for the money obviously.

Financial security for the club means no loans. If owners are covering losses they do not impact the clubs financial security. I dont blame Simon at all, he can afford what he can afford, but I am not sure why we should be applauding him for not investing to the same degree most other championship club owners do. Indeed he is actively looking for investors that will allow us to have a competitive budget.

I think there is some naïveté about the sustainability of Championship club losses, which last year averaged £21 million. Think about it. If you are a multi-billionaire corporation or individual, then spending £21 million as a punt to gain Prem. riches if all goes well is about the equivalent of someone on an average salary betting £100 on the same outcome. The assumption these clubs must ultimately go broke is daft. History shows that disappointed rich owners just sell on to the next lot with money to burn on a similar punt. Until the governing bodies acquire the balls to demand real world financial sustainability then nothing will change imo.

Sep 28, 2022
The great divide between clubs in the Championship is huge. Apparently Leicester City, s wage bill for the this year is £60 million! Compare that to our own and I think you can see why we are where we are with regards to the league table. Crazy situation and no doubt similar in the Premier league. Also surprisingly enough, not, Man City and Man Utd voted against a wage ceiling. No doubt to ensure that the status quo continues to tilt very much in their favour. Unfortunately the romance of football is being slowly crushed!.

Jul 29, 2012
Last season Swansea spent 100% of their turnover on wages and are losing £350k a week . Over the course of this season the Swansea owners have invested £5m into the club .

Jan 6, 2004
I think there is some naïveté about the sustainability of Championship club losses, which last year averaged £21 million. Think about it. If you are a multi-billionaire corporation or individual, then spending £21 million as a punt to gain Prem. riches if all goes well is about the equivalent of someone on an average salary betting £100 on the same outcome. The assumption these clubs must ultimately go broke is daft. History shows that disappointed rich owners just sell on to the next lot with money to burn on a similar punt. Until the governing bodies acquire the balls to demand real world financial sustainability then nothing will change imo.
Mervyn I do not think football investment is rational from an economic point of view. But you are talking about people so wealthy they dont really know what to spend their money on and for them £20m a season to enjoy running a football club and dreaming of the premier league may be worth it, they are still going to be able to afford all the other luxuries they are accustomed to so they are not sacrificing much in real terms but gaining a significant interest.

Mervyn I do not think football investment is rational from an economic point of view. But you are talking about people so wealthy they dont really know what to spend their money on and for them £20m a season to enjoy running a football club and dreaming of the premier league may be worth it, they are still going to be able to afford all the other luxuries they are accustomed to so they are not sacrificing much in real terms but gaining a significant interest.
I agree GF. It’s only rational if you are a billionaire, and they are sacrificing nothing because they can afford to lose it.

Jan 6, 2004
I agree GF. It’s only rational if you are a billionaire, and they are sacrificing nothing because they can afford to lose it.
Yes, at league one somebody who is wealthy but not worth hundreds of millions can afford to own a club largely as a hobby, as Simon has done, at championship level, unfortunately, you need a next level of wealth.

The Wrexham actors will probably find their ceiling in league one. Wrexham may be promoted again, but they will not be staying in the championship long.

Reactions: jimbogreen
Sep 22, 2020
If the money is by way of owner equity investment rather than loans, why would us fans care?

I would agree with this to a point but the issue is that every time an owner puts more in the paper 'value' of the club goes up. For example, would anyone buy plymouth argyle for £20m plus. I really doubt it which causes a problem when the owner moves on. then again another mug punter seems to always come along.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
If the money is by way of owner equity investment rather than loans, why would us fans care?

I would agree with this to a point but the issue is that every time an owner puts more in the paper 'value' of the club goes up. For example, would anyone buy plymouth argyle for £20m plus. I really doubt it which causes a problem when the owner moves on. then again another mug punter seems to always come along.
If we stay in the Championship, then absolutely yes someone might pay £20m plus for Argyle now. Whittaker and Cooper could generate transfer fee income of over half that at least.