Summer Transfer Rumour Round Up | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Summer Transfer Rumour Round Up

Jan 6, 2004
I know many will feel like £8m for Coops is good business for Argyle, especially given his recent multiple kneeknacks, but I’m not convinced.

I genuinely believe he can grow into a top 10 keeper in the country, and will win England caps. I think there’s every chance if we extended him for a couple more years that £8m price tag would become £15m or even more, and we’d have two more years of the best GK outside the premier league. Hazard is adequate, sure – although I have my misgivings about his linerootedness, presence and distribution – and adequacy is a serious downgrade on excellence.
A player valued at £8m has legitimate wage expectations that we cannot meet. So, unless he is prepared to accept a far lower wage than he is worth he is going to be leaving us and that should be now rather than next year when his contract expires. Further, however good he is the opportunity cost of £8m is huge if we we dont sell him. We are not rich enough to justify an £8m value keeper, we would be better spreading that value around the squad including a replacement keeper if Hazard (who lets not forget only cost £150,000) is not deemed good enough.

The clubs model is that we nurture great players, sell them on, and then do it all over again. If Cooper does not fall into that category I do not know who does. Just make sure we have a sell on percentage in case he turns out to be world class (which personally I do not rule out)

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think I agree with that. We certainly won’t be getting his maximum value with only one year remaining on his contract which would be a great shame.

Why can't we offer Coops a new deal now?

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think when a player gets a chance to move up, bank a fee and up their wage significantly they have to do it because it's a short career. You never know when you might get a career ending injury, and it's a short career (albeit longer for a keeper). I think it's time for him to get into a top tier side. I can't seeing him wanting to run down his contract, as it's his club, but if we're to offer him a contract it would have to be a similar deal to a top tier Championship team, or a low to mid table Prem team. We just can't afford that, and it also goes against the club ethos of us progressing by being a selling club.

Jan 6, 2004
I think when a player gets a chance to move up, bank a fee and up their wage significantly they have to do it because it's a short career. You never know when you might get a career ending injury, and it's a short career (albeit longer for a keeper). I think it's time for him to get into a top tier side. I can't seeing him wanting to run down his contract, as it's his club, but if we're to offer him a contract it would have to be a similar deal to a top tier Championship team, or a low to mid table Prem team. We just can't afford that, and it also goes against the club ethos of us progressing by being a selling club.
Exactly this.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
This feels like a through the looking glass moment to me. Rumour has it we may be selling Cooper Gibson and Whittaker for a realistic combined sum of around 30 million quid.

This might well not be true but should it happen then surely given the suggestion there is investment in the wings and the Sky money, Is this not the beginning of the next phase in making the 5 year plan a reality? In order for it to be realistic we will have to buy or nurture talent develop it and sell at a profit?

At this point like it or not we will have to buy and pay wages for talent that is capable of getting us into a comfortable mid table position next season and also within that side will have to be players, at least in a couple of years, that will be able to be sold on for big money.

All this has to be achieved without destroying the obvious chemistry that exists in the current squad, no small task. It’s obvious the recruitment has been excellent in identifying Whittaker and Gibson in particular and this will have to continue.

Given the above it’s absolutely vital the appointment of the next head coach is a success. For the sake of continuity Nance in particular and Dewsnip need to stay at the club. Is it realistic to expect the likes of Rosenior to be interested? I would say definitely. Can we afford to offer the same sort of money that for arguments sake a Hull Bristol City or Coventry would pay their manager? I would say we have to.

Oct 10, 2018
Hopefully they bid on the strength of the 2023/24 showreel, rather than actually having watched 90 minutes from him since the window shut. They might offer £15m for him then, rather than not bid at all.
12 million Max

Oct 10, 2018
This feels like a through the looking glass moment to me. Rumour has it we may be selling Cooper Gibson and Whittaker for a realistic combined sum of around 30 million quid.

This might well not be true but should it happen then surely given the suggestion there is investment in the wings and the Sky money, Is this not the beginning of the next phase in making the 5 year plan a reality? In order for it to be realistic we will have to buy or nurture talent develop it and sell at a profit?

At this point like it or not we will have to buy and pay wages for talent that is capable of getting us into a comfortable mid table position next season and also within that side will have to be players, at least in a couple of years, that will be able to be sold on for big money.

All this has to be achieved without destroying the obvious chemistry that exists in the current squad, no small task. It’s obvious the recruitment has been excellent in identifying Whittaker and Gibson in particular and this will have to continue.

Given the above it’s absolutely vital the appointment of the next head coach is a success. For the sake of continuity Nance in particular and Dewsnip need to stay at the club. Is it realistic to expect the likes of Rosenior to be interested? I would say definitely. Can we afford to offer the same sort of money that for arguments sake a Hull Bristol City or Coventry would pay their manager? I would say we have to.
Gibson for me would be the biggest loss of the 3, its really difficult to fund young talent who are as strong, read the game as well and can be so consistent at Championship level. His would be the most difficult hole to fill, with Galloway injuries we would have to then recruit St least two CB",s.

Jul 29, 2008
Managers often come back for players they’ve worked with before, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stoke bid for Hardie as they appear to need a couple of strikers

Jul 12, 2016
Gibson for me would be the biggest loss of the 3, its really difficult to fund young talent who are as strong, read the game as well and can be so consistent at Championship level. His would be the most difficult hole to fill, with Galloway injuries we would have to then recruit St least two CB",s.
All about opinions but can’t agree. Seen far better defenders and wouldn’t consider him to be a great loss.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Managers often come back for players they’ve worked with before, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stoke bid for Hardie as they appear to need a couple of strikers

Can’t see Hardie leaving

Reactions: Lancastergreen