Stoke v Argyle MatchDay Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD | Page 32 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stoke v Argyle MatchDay Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD

May 16, 2016
Nobody has suggested Houghton and Randell are useless, apart from you. However, at best they are pretty average by Championship standard.

As such, do you seriously believe that we can play week in/ week out in the Championship with just these 2 in midfield.

Meanwhile, we have 2 players who are not really wingers but not really No 10s either but who are mostly peripheral figures watching us get overun and outplayed in Central midfield.
I think my point is being missed, my response was to the overexcited extremes of some posters.

When we're winning or having a good game, certain players are judged suitable or good enough at this level - if they get mentioned at all.

Fast forward a few days to the next game, we play poorly, lose to a better team and suddenly, they've become bad players overnight.

There's some overeactionary, superficial posters and those who only see the superficial of any response.

May 16, 2016
I worry we are beginning to see why Swansea let Whittaker leave. His honeymoon period is over and dare I say it the main reason he joined us was Schumacher. Whatever the reason his value is nowhere what it was at the start of the season
"Beginning" ?

Came to that conclusion some time ago.

Reactions: oldage

Mat

šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Heā€™s all about confidence and at the moment he ainā€™t got any .
And service, he had a little more space and the ball in more dangerous positions when Azaz was playing. However, he needs to do more off the ball, and perhaps pass rather than take speculative shots. The type of goals he was scoring were not sustainable over a whole season.

Reactions: Ganna Green

TaviGreen1990

āœ… Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
I think that many of our games in the second half of the season have basically come down to the first goal. Boro, Swansea and Leicester we got it. Preston, Bristol City and today we didnā€™t. Norwich being the only outlier. The championship is a great league full of quality and that first goal is so important. Fur obvious reasons Iā€™m gutted for today but at the start of the season I think I wouldā€™ve taken this position. Itā€™s in our hands.

Reactions: Ganna Green
Feb 10, 2024
"Beginning" ?

Came to that conclusion some time ago.
Came to that some time ago really ? You must be watching a different player to me then. Heā€™s quality and agreed not worth some of the silly figures thrown about.The whole group are struggling in the toughest league about. Chaos and a small squad with a limited budget hasnā€™t helped .

Oct 9, 2023
Feels like Gyabi might have come in handy today
Yes, the injury to Gyabi came at a terrible time a few weeks ago and likewise with Forshaw after only 9 minutes today , missing his experience , cool- head and transition play like last week leading up to the goal against Leicester.

Others and myself have been saying all season that we need more energy, speed , bite in midfield.
Every club needs a Gyabi,
Panutche CamarĆ”, Boateng, Bakinson ,
Ndidi, Field, Nicky Marker etc.
to cover the defence, win the ball , carry it up the pitch to feed the attackers etc..
Matete wasn't replaced in the summer by the recruutment team and Gyabi when injured wasn't replaced with a
Free Agent for the key final games of the season.

In defence of the overworked Houghton and Randell in midfield , they were often left exposed by our three attackers in front of them who often do very little work off the ball , are not physical enough on the ground and are weak in the air. Unlike last season's Ennis and Cosgrove who both kept the ball well and worked tirelessly off the ball.
A year later and neither of them has been replaced by the recruitment team

Possibly Pleggy or Gibson could help out defensively in midfield then Sorinola, Sousa, Devine, Mumba or Roberts could
add energy to midfield at some time in the game to surprise Millwall and Hull.

Likewise, Waine , Issaka and Mumba again (!) (Bali the further up the pitch the better !) must be used in attack
at some time (or even starting !)
in the final two games.

mutley marvel

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
This season was always going to be a struggle for us
Finishing 21st will be a monumental achievement for us
We are fully aware of the calibre of players required to be competitive & achieve the results required to stay in the league
We have not been in the bottom 3 all season & that is an achievement considering our budget
The Championship is a totally different animal compared to the last time we were in the Championship
Sometimes the opponents you face have the quality we cannot match
It has been a long hard season & the players are probably running on empty , they maybe nursing niggles but we have what we have until the end of the season
2 more games- hopefully we will acquire 21st place

May 26, 2015
We really suffer as Argyle fans don't we. Chucked away 2 points at home to Coventry and 1 point at home to Saints. Also chucked away a point at Brum. Then the robberies away at Ipswich, at Saints and away at Coventry. Only 2 lucky events being last gasp home winners against Rotherham and Stoke.

BUT, we dust ourselves down, prepare for Wednesday to beat Blackburn tomorrow, but then repeat that famous 60's win at Millwall next Saturday!

May 16, 2016
Came to that some time ago really ? You must be watching a different player to me then. Heā€™s quality and agreed not worth some of the silly figures thrown about.The whole group are struggling in the toughest league about. Chaos and a small squad with a limited budget hasnā€™t helped .
Maybe I'm just a better judge of player than you.

Feb 11, 2024
Sorry, how can it be the toughest league about? Has the Championship suddenly overtaken the prem? Are the three teams going straight back down from the prem. who got promoted last season actually being promoted back to the champ? I agree its a very tough league, and actually well above most countries top flight leagues, but lets not over stretch it

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: RB00194