Stoke Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stoke Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
After the Lord Mayor show!
As good as we were against Leicester we were as bad against Stoke today.

We made them look like a top team although the comments from the Stoke fans was that was the best they have played this season.

The second half was particularly bad for us, highlighted by an out of form Whittaker kicking a corner straight out of play. I've never see that before.

Nothing went right for Whittaker and it was a surprise that he wasn't subbed, although he can produce a piece of magic.

The players didn't look up for it, we never at any time looked like we could get back into the game.

Galloway, Scarr and Mumba had decent games, Hardie continued his poor run, he barely touched the ball, Randell regularly lost the ball in midfield.

It's so disappointing, our goal difference took a hit as well, so now we hope other poor teams also lose.

Our ex-manager had his players fired up for this one.
Schumacher and his coaching staff were booed when walking onto the pitch before the game and chants of 'Schuey is a c***' was a regular occurrence. He looked shocked by it.

First half
We started the game well enough, Bundu and Mumba were causing problems on the left.

Stoke were a danger running at our defence, they particularly targeted our right side and we struggled to contain them.
Stoke hit the bar with an angled shot and Whittaker hit the side netting from a free-kick.

Forshaw went down injured early doors and was swapped with Houghton.

The ref started to take centre stage with some decisions against both sides.

An attempt to leave a foot on Cooper finished in a player scrum with several players booked.

We looked to be going into half time all square but Stoke scored two quick goals, one an angled shot across Cooper and into the far corner and the second after Randell lost the ball in midfield.

The 2-0 lead was undeserved but the pressure was growing.

Second half.
Gibson and Devine replaced Edwards and Pleggy and we switched to a back four.

Devine showed some promise with some attacking runs at the Stoke defence.
That hope was soon extinguished because we spent most of the second half trying to stop a Stoke third goal.

When we had some attacking play a stray pass would stop our momentum.

In the final minutes Stoke scored a third goal and this time it was deserved.

A demoralising defeat.
As a type this Forshaw limps past me, that sums up our game.
I think Nancesnip made a mistake by not taking off Hardie earlier and not subbing Whittaker.

Man of the Match - Mumba.

Cooper 6, Pleggy 5, Scarr 7, Galloway 7, Edwards 5, Forshaw n/a, Randell 5, Mumba 7, Whittaker 4, Bundu 6, Hardie 5.
Subs - Houghton 5, Wright 5, Gibson 6, Waine n/a, Devine 7.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Sorry Posty but those ratings don't match up with your description of the game (which I agree with). Nobody was above a five today. Useless at both ends, no composure, no ability to use the ball. Awful performance and the most damning of all was that they wanted it more than us. We'll probably stay up but that was a relegation level performance.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
We were simply outcoached today. SS found a way to stop us moving it through the thirds, and we looked open, gave the ball away regularly and by the end dead on our feet. It is what we used to do to other teams.

Reactions: Drake

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Suspect that performance will mean no Matchday Moments.

Playing 4 at the back with Scarr was always a risk. 2 poor goals conceded and our midfield was non existent and Schumacher knew if they ran at our defence we'd have no answer.

Grateful to Huddersfield for not making a bad day even worse.

Oct 20, 2015
A really flat performance. I was hoping players would get a Nancesnip rocket at HT after conceding twice in quick succession but they came out just as dozy as before the break.

Forshaw was a big blow for us early on, I'm beginning to see why we could afford him. Glass bones.

Mumba and Whittaker struggled. The most annoying result of this is his likely transfer value in the summer. I can't see it being £10m now.

Scarr looked out of his depth. Two or three real howlers in the box.

One again our passing would have looked bad in League Two. Where passes did find their man, they were short and killed any forward momentum. More often they were way off target gifting possession back to Stoke.

Speaking of Stoke - their fans say that was their best of the season? If that's true then they are also in trouble, longer term. Bang average apart from the Korean Bae. We were so easy to play against, no steel in midfield and looked disorganised defending a Stoke break away.

I'm afraid our fate is to be decided by the teams around us. I can't see any major improvement at Millwall, what are we going to do - throw Issaka on and hope for the best?

Frank the Phone

🚑 Steve Hooper
Feb 19, 2021
Rands and Morgs possibly their worst games for Argyle. I thought we were good for twenty minutes, but we lost our heads in an intense atmosphere. Sod Schumacher and Stoke. Their whole club is vile and vulgar and I'd never choose them over Argyle, no matter how many millions they swipe from gambling addicts. It's still in our hands.

Apr 15, 2024
I think we'll stay up (just) but the level of investment needed in the close season will be extreme
No question of loans and free transfers we need real quality brought in. With the teams likely coming down from EPL and those coming up from L1 next season it will be all the more difficult
Where the club find the money from I don't know but find it they must

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
My stoke supporting mate said that was by far the best his has seen stoke play this season. Cundle took us apart. We have such a massive disconnect between the defence and strikers. Its glaringly obvious how much we have lost without cundle and azaz. Complete lack of being able to ro hold ball up and create anything. MW is trying way too hard and Hardie is on Holiday.

If shef wed lose tomorrow then a point will do for us.

We move on.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Poor all over the pitch quite honestly. Totally incapable of holding on to the ball for any length of time.
4 points for Coops, Bali and Moose, 1 for everyone else.
Stoke played well to be fair. Deserved to win.
Disappointed to say the least!

Reactions: Green 1886
Apr 30, 2011
Hardie and Morgan are both exhausted, it really does feel pointless continuing to start them in every game. Bring them on with 30 minutes left and they will have the edge on tiring defenders. Our subs felt weird in that we were losing 2-0 and bring Lewis Gibson on... but I guess that highlights the lack of attack ling options we have in the squad.

I thought today highlighted our lack of strength in depth, they brought on Ennis and we brought on Ben Waine. We don't have a Cosgrove type who we can turn to when out passing game isn't as effective.

I think and hope that we will just about have enough to get over the line but there will be a lot of work to do over the summer.

We need a plan B, Forshaw was a gamble that probably won't pay off, Ben Waine needs to leave on loan for a season, as good as Whittaker is, he is still only a human, same with Hardie.

Just to add, I thought Schuey was respectful of the Argyle fans inspite of the abuse he faced. He looked really emotional at the final whistle, no matter how much he hurt us when he jumped ship I couldn't help but feel some empathy with him. Probably me being soft but there you go.