Stay up, go down players to keep (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stay up, go down players to keep (merged)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
To be honest I could make an argument for losing every player.

I’d probably keep in League One:

Ladapo (backup),
Carey (will leave anyway)
Lameiras (will leave)
Smith-Brown (backup)
Threlkeld (right back)
J. Grant (backup)

In League Two:

+ Songo’o (rotation)
+ Riley (one more injury and he’s gone)
+ C. Grant (one more injury and he’s gone too).
+ Sawyer (rotation)
+ Jephcott (rotation)
+ Canavan (backup)

I’d get rid of, division regardless:

Ainsworth (lol)
Wootton (worst signing we made)
Edwards (calamitous)
Ness (injury prone - unreliable)
Fox (age is starting to show)
Letheren (third keeper maybe)
Moore (we have better options)
Sarcevic
Taylor (rubbish all season)
Fletcher (isn’t making it, not his own fault)
Anderson (pointless)
Dyson (really pointless)

So basically my conclusion is that upon Carey and Ruben going, we need a whole new starting 11 other than a right back, if we stay in this division. Not far off for L2.

Summer should be fun.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
The only players I'd be really keen to keep either way would be Oscar, Carey, Ruben and Ladapo. I'd like to see Conor Grant stay and get a proper run, and Edwards is possibly a decent squad player, as is Sawyer.

Other than, I'd be pretty keen to see the back of the others. We need a mobile, competent centre midfielder more than anything, it's our number one problem for me.

Unfortunately it seems we'll lose Ruben - and to be fair, the manager was trying to bomb him out earlier in the season, so we can't turn around and be surprised. If he'd played all season, maybe we'd be 3 or 4 points better off and not staring at relegation.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
I would get rid of adams,wooton,nancekiville,the royal marine bloke,macey,ness,sarcevic,sawyer,,canavan,anderson,taylor,edwards,fox and sell Freddie for big money.graham and ruben are of course bound to leave.

Jul 12, 2016
Just get rid of Adams and bring in a new manager with fresh ideas and players. The majority of the current team are just not good enough and I am fed up with them stating that they are all fighting for the cause when the reality is they are a disgrace to the club.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
For next season basically we need 2 decent CB's, key word being decent, and a Fox replacement, rest of the team probably is all right tbf.

G

greengiant1886

Didn't Adams say last summer that he wanted to build a team and had given a lot of the new players 2 year contracts? If that's the case then we might be lumbered with Dyson, Wootton etc for some time and not be able to reinvest.

Mar 23, 2008
IJN":271emsyj said:
Lionel Ainsworth anyone? :problem:
Lionel clearly has talent and could be a real asset in league 2 with a proper manager getting the best out of his talent. Apart from Carey and Lameiras, not too fussed about the rest although the likes of Ainsworth, Songo, Edwards and ADB could form the basis of a decent league 2 side under a new gaffer.

May 1, 2011
Willis88":125w7mui said:
IJN":125w7mui said:
Lionel Ainsworth anyone? :problem:

I hope he paid for a season ticket for the seat he's occupied all season.

He's probably as miffed as anyone else as to why Adams brought him and many others, Grant, Wylde, Dyson etc to never be given a chance.

Jan 7, 2018
Definitely ness and fox can go.

Fox and reuben I see as nothing more than passengers when thinks aren't going our way. And I know he seems to be a favourite but Edwards I just don't get it just a bad version of sonny Bradley. Taylor makes Jack wilshere look fit

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
arthpafc":2rzgn8ag said:
Definitely ness and fox can go.

Fox and reuben I see as nothing more than passengers when thinks aren't going our way. And I know he seems to be a favourite but Edwards I just don't get it just a bad version of sonny Bradley. Taylor makes Jack wilshere look fit
Agree about Edwards surprised Pompey are after him but they can have him.

Sep 15, 2012
Steve Evans":2vlhisuq said:
obviously graham and ruben will be gone.i would dismiss the management team and kkep letheren,asb and alex fletcher.i would then employ a good first team manager and assistant.doddle managing a football team innit?

Stevie
My old friend, I admire your loyalty but don't forget our little handshake,
Like your opinion of Tyler Harvey I was right about that
Alex Fletcher will not be here next season mate

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
After today's "performance" dreaming of a good old clearance ahead of next year is about the only thing cheering me up.

Current Squad

GK
Macey (Out) - Sigh
Letheren (Out) - Decent enough back-up but only looks like a starter this year because the alternative is worse. We need a goalkeeper whatever division we find ourselves in next year.
Cooper (Stay) - Good young prospect, I'd like to see him given a chance next year. Even if he's 3rd choice I think he should be starting Chicken Trade Trophy games.

RB
ASB (Stay) - He's improved as the year has gone on and should develop into a decent L1 full-back. Have certainly preferred him at right back so would like to see him and Oscar fight it out for that position if we can get the latter back permanently.
Threlkeld (Sign) - Presumably no chance of him playing at his parent club so certainly worth an offer to get back permanently.
Moore (Out) - Shocking, if he's lucky he may develop into a decent non-league defender. Not got the right attributes to make it for us or league football though.
Riley (Out) - Not good enough to warrant the injury record he comes with. If you believe our "manager" our wage budget is very, very small. As such why wages are wasted on so many who are only fit half of the time I'll never know.

LB
Sawyer (Out) - Thanks for the years of service Gazza but I think the pace of the game has got the better of you. Certainly if we are in League 1 next year he shouldn't stay on, perhaps he'd fair better against L2 defenders if the worst happens but even then I think we should be looking forwards and signing players to not only take us back to L1 but develop into good players at that level if/when we do return.
C Grant (Out) - Liked him at left back I have to say. If we go down I actually wouldn't mind keeping him on as cover if he's cheap but as with Riley his injury record is a huge concern. If we're tying up wages in players they need to be fit or at very least brilliant players who are worth the months/weeks on the sideline for their ability when they do play.

CB
Edwards (Out) - Not good enough, perhaps keep him around in L2 if he's used as cover but even then he's far too shaky and inconsistent.
Wootton (Out) - Pointless signing, get rid
Caravan (Out) - Not helped by those around him to be fair but still far too error prone for my liking.
Jones (Sign) - If Luton go up I'd like to think he won't be in their plans so on the last two games wouldn't mind starting our new look defence search with him. So long as he's a permanent signing, otherwise let Luton develop him themselves. We need to build our own defence not somebody else's.

CM
Fox (Out) - Thanks for all of your efforts Foxy but this year was 1 too many sadly. If Derek had actually signed a replacement and used Foxy as cover he would have been a good option but he sadly lacks the pace to be a starter in this division. Amazingly Derek hasn't spotted that in the 2 years we've spent in L1.
Sarcevic (Stay) - On his day he is brilliant, those days are fewer and further between sadly but he's useful cover and as I recall on a 2 year deal so worth keeping around rather than paying off.
Ness (Out) - Would throw him in the Grant and Riley category of not being fit for long enough to be worth the wage. He's also very slow and doesn't do anything particularly spectacularly to justify his injury record.
Songo'o (Stay) - Mr dependable, when you need someone, when the rest of the team is playing p*ss poor you can rely on Big Yann to be giving everything. It says a lot that he has been our best player this year because he's not L1 quality by any stretch. I'd keep him as cover but a good ball winning midfielder is as much a priority as it was when Toums left.

AM
Carey/Ruben (???) - Would obviously like them to stay but judging by recent weeks I think they are already gone and simply going through the motions until they leave. I could be wrong and they may well both have just dropped off in form right when it matters most. If so then that is a worrying sign in itself that our two most important players go missing when the chips are down. I do however think it's more a case of them setting their sights for next year outside of Plymouth and not being arsed where we end up next season.
J Grant (Stay) - A good back-up option to have, would be good if he could find a way to have an impact for more than 45 minutes a game but that's why I think he's a good option rather than a starter. A player you bring on to make an impact or take off when he tires. Fingers crossed the time out injured doesn't have too negative an impact on his game.
Ainsworth (Out) - I was 65% sure he'd gone back to Scotland in January until he appeared on the team sheet today. Complete waste of wages from day 1.

FWD
Ladapo (Out) - Scored a few good goals but cash in when his value is high. I don't see him being as good next year and he just doesn't offer much else besides scoring which for a lone front man isn't ideal unless the system is built purely to feed them. If we got a manager who played two up front then he'd be good alongside a target man but if someone comes in offering money I say take the cash and run.
Taylor (Out) - Not sure if it's lack of match fitness or simply an injury too many but he seems to have lost it. A shadow of the man who our attack relied upon last season, I was so hoping he would come in and change things but I today I think we got a glimpse of why he hasn't been able to knock Ladapo out of the side.
Fletcher (Out) - Came in and looked alright today but doesn't really offer much at all. He's not quick, he's not strong, he's not tall and he's not technically gifted. Would probably do alright lower down, if we kept him it's last chance saloon to prove he's got something to offer.
Jephcott (Stay) - Has looked pretty good whenever he's been called upon. Still young and learning his trade but I think he could be a good option to have around.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Letheren - keep.
Threlkeld - Release.
Edwards - Release.
Jones - Not our player.
Sawyer - Keep.
Fox - Retire hopefully.
Yann - Keep. Good back up, debatable whether he's good enough to be a starter.
Sarcevic - Keep mediocre L1 player but that's till good enough for our poor standard.
Carey - Keep.
Ruben - Keep.
Taylor - Keep.

Riley - Keep.
Canavan - Release.
Ness - Don't care, maybe keep as backup.
Anderson - Keep.
Ainswoth - Release.
Ladapo - Keep.
Fletcher - Keep. Decent backup imo.
Dyson - Release.