Spare a thought for Rochdale AFC | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Spare a thought for Rochdale AFC

May 26, 2015
Please spare a thought this evening for Rochdale AFC, who have crashed out of the Football League, after 102 years.

I have lived in Rochdale for 34 years and can't help but feeling totally sad. I'm an occasional visitor to Spotland and my only horrible occasion was when Dale beat Argyle 1-0 to almost extinguish us a few years ago. I invaded the pitch at the end (as a 60 plus aged idiot) when results elsewhere saved us.

Happier times, for me, was our 1-3 win to secure promotion under Luggy and our 1-2 FA Cup win a couple of years ago.

Dale fans sing that "Nobody Likes Us", but I do. Long live Dale, a real old fashioned cotton, and wool, football town.

May 26, 2015
Nobody liked the re-election scenario of the old days but there is now a trap door that has caught many historical clubs.
The re-election system did Dale a favour on occasions and clearly favoured clubs located in the conurbations.

Was that a bad thing? I don't know, but I would prefer Bury, Dale, Oldham and so on to the likes of Crawley, Salford, Sutton United, Stevenage, Forest Green Rovers, Harrogate Town and so on.

smudja

๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
โœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
The re-election system did Dale a favour on occasions and clearly favoured clubs located in the conurbations.

Was that a bad thing? I don't know, but I would prefer Bury, Dale, Oldham and so on to the likes of Crawley, Salford, Sutton United, Stevenage, Forest Green Rovers, Harrogate Town and so on.
While I feel for Rochdale, the election system prevented teams like Sutton a chance to get into the big boys club.

AdelaideGreen

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Jan 11, 2017
I disagree regarding the olde election system. It allowed teams like Workington to bump along the bottom for (seemingly) decades whilst teams like Yeovil were trying to break through the glass ceiling.

It seems that quite a few teams do raise themselves back up from the National league. Today it is a (largely) professional league, so it's no different to an (old) Division 5. Wrexham and (perhaps) Notts Forest will attest to this in the current season.

Bernie Bernbaum

๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
I disagree regarding the olde election system. It allowed teams like Workington to bump along the bottom for (seemingly) decades whilst teams like Yeovil were trying to break through the glass ceiling.

It seems that quite a few teams do raise themselves back up from the National league. Today it is a (largely) professional league, so it's no different to an (old) Division 5. Wrexham and (perhaps) Notts Forest will attest to this in the current season.
County.

Reactions: AdelaideGreen

demportdave

๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I do feel a bit sorry for Rochdale, particular when you look at it in the context of Bury and Oldham, as well as Macclesfied just the other side of Manchester.

I think there's a strong case for 3 up / 3 down between the National League and League 2 to make the FL a bit more accessible.

demportdave

๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Remember that 3-1 win that clinched promotion at Spotland.
Went into their clubhouse after and the locals were really friendly.

I wonder if the picture of Millbrook legend Reg Jenkins is still on display?

Frank Butcher

๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Interestingly, 7 of the bottom 8 in the National League are former EFL clubs, albeit at least one in a slightly different guise.

May 16, 2016
Isn't it also bizzare to think that with a final total of 109 points, Notts County might well still be in the National League next season after losing out (theoretically) to Boreham Wood, who, as things stand, are in the final playoff spot, currently, some 37 points below them.

I think we sometimes forget - and never must - just how big a bullet we dodged when life was going so wrong. Especially considering the number of clubs stil down there that we used to regularly play..