Solar panels on grandstand roof | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Solar panels on grandstand roof

May 16, 2016
Duncan Rice":3b2y89bw said:
More eco rubbish. Let's hope they are more or less invisible from ground level and the club get their money back before they need replacing.

Assuming no whooshing, haven't we moved beyond the need to make money on Renewable Energy ?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
You’d have to be on a wind farm to get whooshed, surely :coat:

Aug 5, 2005
Duncan Rice":2z615492 said:
More eco rubbish. Let's hope they are more or less invisible from ground level and the club get their money back before they need replacing.

Are you seriously calling solar panels "eco-rubbish"?

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
I certainly am Mike, never known anyone get the money they invested back within a reasonable timescale. Aesthetically they are a blot on the landscape, whether on roofs and even worse when desecrating fields. A really awful example is just outside Totnes if you are interested. Hopefully the club have done their sums with an independent CBA and not just jumped on the eco bandwagon. Hopefully, also, the classic lines of the modified Leich roofline remains intact with anything clagged on remote from view! :greensmile:

May 16, 2016
Duncan Rice":1inluhpn said:
I certainly am Mike, never known anyone get the money they invested back within a reasonable timescale. Aesthetically they are a blot on the landscape, whether on roofs and even worse when desecrating fields. A really awful example is just outside Totnes if you are interested. Hopefully the club have done their sums with an independent CBA and not just jumped on the eco bandwagon. Hopefully, also, the classic lines of the modified Leich roofline remains intact with anything clagged on remote from view! :greensmile:

Good points, lets not bother making any effort to contribute globally because it wont 'look nice' and while they're at it, the Club could buck the trend and hand out free Plastic Bags.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
‘Eco bandwagon’... good grief. A tidal wave would be a real blot on your landscape, or a coal mine in your back garden, or... y’know... not having any electricity at all because its sources have all run out.

Well done, Argyle!

Jan 2, 2010
signalspast":1tp7lnv5 said:
Every new building as part.of the planning application should be forces to fit solar panels commercial or residential
I know huge installations of solar panels used to send some fire safety officers into cold sweats for some reason. The idea of a big bank of solar panels generating electricity above a building that had just caught fire.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Obviously this is a bit of a daft thread that keeps us all engaged until we have some signings to talk about! But hey ho:
Plastic and the environment is a completely different issue; Solar panels in the Northern hemisphere are at best of marginal value and obviously only contribute in daylight; Sincerely hope the club get their money back in my lifetime; Global warming or cooling is mainly driven by solar activity and the UK's CO2 contribution is irrelevant, in fact CO2 is probably not a driver in any event; Suggest we judge by scientific fact and not those provided by a Swedish teenage eco warrior who got her facts from an on-line game (or Greenpeace loons for that matter!).... :scarf: Night all.....

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
From the NASA website about whether solar activity is causing global warming....

‘No. The Sun can influence the Earth’s climate, but it isn’t responsible for the warming trend we’ve seen over the past few decades. The Sun is a giver of life; it helps keep the planet warm enough for us to survive. We know subtle changes in the Earth’s orbit around the Sun are responsible for the comings and goings of the ice ages. But the warming we’ve seen over the last few decades is too rapid to be linked to changes in Earth’s orbit, and too large to be caused by solar activity.’

But then what do they know?

Feb 28, 2016
Duncan Rice":1m1ep5gg said:
Obviously this is a bit of a daft thread that keeps us all engaged until we have some signings to talk about! But hey ho:
Plastic and the environment is a completely different issue; Solar panels in the Northern hemisphere are at best of marginal value and obviously only contribute in daylight; Sincerely hope the club get their money back in my lifetime; Global warming or cooling is mainly driven by solar activity and the UK's CO2 contribution is irrelevant, in fact CO2 is probably not a driver in any event; Suggest we judge by scientific fact and not those provided by a Swedish teenage eco warrior who got her facts from an on-line game (or Greenpeace loons for that matter!).... :scarf: Night all.....

Don’t the factories which produce solar panels also have extremely high carbon footprints?

As you previously mentioned they godawful to look at, such a shame to think they’ve spent all that money in trying to make the stand look better to only go and put these monstrosities on it.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Surely they'd be on the South facing part of the roof so you wouldn't be able to see them in the ground.
I don't see what the problem is. Think it's a great idea.

Aug 5, 2005
Duncan Rice":v38xm6pf said:

Duncan,

Can I interest you in some facts for a moment. Your opinion seems to be driven by very out-of-date information or incorrect hearsay and assumptions.

Here's the electricity that is currently being generated in this country in real time

http://gridwatch.co.uk/

When I was typing this, 16.5% of the electricity being used in the UK is solar. I'm sure you will agree that this is significant and not marginal - it's more than coal and nuclear combined (0.9% and 13.9%).

Just because some of your mates haven't got their money back on their roof panels yet does not mean that the entire green energy industry should be shunned.

Global warming is not caused by solar activity. Here's an interesting article about that, with a graph showing global temperature v solar activity. It's from NASA who I think you will agree are a reliable source

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/14/is-the- ... l-warming/

Finally, panels do not have to be ugly. Modern panels are indistinguishable from normal roof tiles. Here's something Tesla has developed

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/solarroof

I hope this has answered some points you have, and I'm happy to answer any others you may have. I'm not a teenager or a "Greenpeace loon".

Aug 17, 2005
I stated that every new property should have them as part of planning applications if this is done they can be built on as the tiles on the roof. Yes it's only daylight they work and winter when we have the highest consumption of electricity is when they produce the least. However if we combine it with wind farms on say the likes of dartmoor and exmoor and tidal farms I feel sure that we would soon have a relative cheap and carbon free source of power.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
signalspast":r2qrh3r2 said:
I stated that every new property should have them as part of planning applications if this is done they can be built on as the tiles on the roof. Yes it's only daylight they work and winter when we have the highest consumption of electricity is when they produce the least. However if we combine it with wind farms on say the likes of dartmoor and exmoor and tidal farms I feel sure that we would soon have a relative cheap and carbon free source of power.

Off topic I know but tidal farms make the most sense to me, have the least visual impact on the area (mostly underwater) and will always be operating.

Back on track, it's a no brainer to have solar panels on the roof at HP, it's a massive, south facing flat roof.

Yes they may take a while to pay back, but given the loan interest rate from SH is pittance any way to save money to push more into the team budget should be applauded.