Sky new TV deal & kick-off times | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sky new TV deal & kick-off times

Jan 6, 2004
Sky are launching a new channel from August, in the details it says that each Championship team will be featured at least 24 times. I'm assuming that means that at least 24 of our games won't be Saturday 3pm games? Great for those of us who struggle to get to Home Park but I'd guess there will be lots of interesting kick off times going on.

Its not as big a difference as you might think. This season I think 26 games were played on a Saturday at 3pm and 20 games were not sounds like that ratio will essentially reverse.

Reactions: Penmaster
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
This is going to massively affect the travelling support. Also wonder how the team will cope with all the strange traveling hours, kickoff times and getting back to Plymouth in all kinds of odd hours....it was already a challenge for away form as it was.

Keep things as they were and no one gets the money Vs all the new money and these kick off times??? The former for me.

Reactions: oldage
Apr 30, 2015
Seems that a fairly large proportion of weekend non-Saturday 3pm matches will be Saturday 12:30pm Kick-offs.

Taken from a link via the posted link is this:

Which games will be live on Sky?​

Each full weekend of EFL fixtures will see 10 live matches shown - including three Championship, two League One and two League Two matches all broadcast live at 12:30pm on Saturdays.

All opening weekend, final day, and midweek fixtures in the EFL will be shown live, as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Seems that a fairly large proportion of weekend non-Saturday 3pm matches will be Saturday 12:30pm Kick-offs.

Taken from a link via the posted link is this:

Which games will be live on Sky?​

Each full weekend of EFL fixtures will see 10 live matches shown - including three Championship, two League One and two League Two matches all broadcast live at 12:30pm on Saturdays.

All opening weekend, final day, and midweek fixtures in the EFL will be shown live, as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

So three Championship games at 12.30pm on Saturday's and the other two Championship games spread over the Friday to Monday weekend.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
If you look at some of the accounts lodged at companies house for last season , the football league payout to league 1 clubs was £2M - £2.5M . With the increased tv money that will increase to around £3M ,for next season .

For championship clubs last season the football league /tv/ premier league payout combined was around £9M and will probably be a bit more this season and maybe up to £10M . With the new Sky money that will go up by £2.6M minimum for next season with extra being paid as a facility fee each time a game is televised . As far as I know the new facility fee hasn’t been publicised but with the number of games being shown you can probably add on another £1M .

That excludes any money from the sale of the tv rights in Europe , Asia , America etc which was only signed in March ( doesn’t affect streaming ) so potentially a bit more .

The difference between L1 and Cship next season will be £9M - £11M .

You’d like to think that extra would be made available to the player budget . While all C’ship clubs will get the same ( roughly) they are all making substantial losses so that money may just be used to reduce the losses instead of putting the money into wages .

In terms of wages not all clubs publicise player wages but some do - Ipswich last year paid £12.5M and Cardiff £14.5M - with both making substantial losses( not that Ipswich will care !) .

Notwithstanding our stadium size our turnover for this season at somewhere £22M -£24m will be competitive with mid table championship sides so it all depends on how much the Board release.
How much will Argyle pay back in Vat on ticket sales during the season?

EuroJim

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 26, 2017
Gent, Belgium
www.jimsfrenchflanders.com
We are becoming very popular as people's 2nd team. Our support and location has helped in this, along with the fact we have a very likeable chairman and back story. I expect this will lead to us being featured on Sky more than we would initially expect, which will give us the chance to attract more supporters throughout the Football world....and maybe even some big investor(s).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
With the new EFL TV deal, there will be lots more lives but no new time slots with the games being shown kicking off Friday night, Saturday lunchtime and Sunday lunch time.

If new kick off times were introduced, what would you like to see? For me, Thursday night has always been a fun one. I think ITV did this slot in the 01/02 season.

Thoughts?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
With the new EFL TV deal, there will be lots more lives but no new time slots with the games being shown kicking off Friday night, Saturday lunchtime and Sunday lunch time.

If new kick off times were introduced, what would you like to see? For me, Thursday night has always been a fun one. I think ITV did this slot in the 01/02 season.

Thoughts?

Merged with the other thread about kick-off times. 👍

Reactions: aNorthernSoul

OnicknowlePete

Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
One thing this may achieve is giving more fans a chance to see away games because if you work, no way can you get to all games without using your leave up, especially a Thursday or Monday night game, so should help satisfy that demand,
Pete

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
There's also this and does it mean the entire first weekend of the EFL season will not be kicking off at 3pm on the Saturday?

"The scale of Sky Sports+ will be evident from the opening weekend of the 2024/25 EFL season, with every game from across all three divisions - the Championship, League One and League Two - streamed live, a first in broadcasting history."

Games will still be kicking off at 3pm on opening day and shown on TV because the blackout don’t start until the PL does

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Games what will be shown on TV after FA Cup third round until March will be announced in November then Sky will then revert to a more traditional process of selecting games based on the situation in the Championship, League One and League Two, which will be around four weeks' notice.

Let's not pretend we don't know the real intentions behind the binning of the blackout on the opening weekend.
The first match of the season is usually a decent gauge for likely attendances throughout the season.
Considering the fact this doesn't apply to the PL, means that the FA are perfectly happy to test waters with smaller clubs, but wouldn't want another battle with the self-important PL and all the big clubs with plastic fans who must be obeyed.

This move, imo, is to assess the impact on behalf of Sky, building towards 2029 when the existing PL TV rights deals end.
Between now and then, Sky will, I believe, increase the number of non-blackout weekends to apply substance to the argument they'll inevitably push upon the FA and UEFA to drop the blackout altogether.
Remember, it's only England, Scotland and Montenegro who apply blackouts, so the statute is pretty weak - weakened further by how much better Spanish, German and Italian clubs have been in Europe than English clubs who have enjoyed the protection of the statute, the bigger English clubs who have primarily generated absurd wealth as a result.

There's a valid argument that the statute is detrimental to football in this country in the modern age, partly because media focus is almost entirely honed in on the big clubs with big brands and big players with big egos, but also because status and credibility - earned or presumed - are now fundamental factors of life for so many younger fans.
Additionally, the blackout applies pressure on clubs and broadcasters to plop more matches into weekday slots, which aren't ideal at all for clubs like Argyle with all the travel involved.

On the flipside, the argument to retain the blackout also has some merit.
It certainly helps many of the smaller clubs financially - not all though, so this merit is pretty shallow.

Ultimately, imo, the blackout is an archaic measure introduced because a northern club owner got a little salty because the money in the sport started to filter out too far beyond the North and Midlands for his liking, reaching the South beyond London, and at the time there was still the phoney culture of Northerners blaming the South for all their ills. Much of that BS still remains.

The clubs that benefitted most from this blackout were - yes, you guessed right - all the already bigger clubs located in all the wealthier cities - London, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham.
Hmm, how many of those cities are down South?
Don't presume that to be mere coincidence.

How many top-tier titles have been won by Southern teams outside of London?
Portsmouth twice, 48-49 & 49-50.
Silly me, Southampton and Bristol City each finished as runner up once, Portsmouth finishing third once - that's all better then, level playing field.

My point is that, in light of decades of national investment into the sport being centered almost entirely around the big cities, the clubs relevant to them are in no position whatsoever to talk about financial equality in the sport, just as those cities themselves are in absolutely no position to have any Burnham-like fool lecture the country about poverty and economic prospects - they can all stfu with their BS.
The blackout, IMHO, was taken as a tool by the Northern/Midlands/London-centric FA to further establish the power in the sport within the big cities - everyone else has had to scratch and claw their way in.
Now we also have to hear the waffle from that Ratcliffe fella about Wembley-of-the-North being paid for by us for Manchester - wtf?

So balls to the blackout, and balls to all the precious lot who want to further exploit the protectionism that is geared to serve them.
Bin it - permanently!

I enjoyed that rant immensely, cheers.

Jan 6, 2004
Silly me, Southampton and Bristol City each finished as runner up once, Portsmouth finishing third once - that's all better then, level playing field.

Doesnt that have more to do with the way population is distributed? After London, the next biggest "southern" city is Bristol which is far smaller than the football power houses of Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Tyneside.

Doesnt that have more to do with the way population is distributed? After London, the next biggest "southern" city is Bristol which is far smaller than the football power houses of Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Tyneside.
In 124 seasons there have, obviously, been 372 top 3 finishers.
Of those 372 top 3 finishers, only 5 have come from the South beyond London.
Even the addition of Cardiff's 2nd place in the 20s brings the figure of tope 3 finishers outside the North, Midlands and London to 6.
That's a 1 in 62 chance of finishing in the top 3.
Do you really think that's a fair reflection of population density?

As of 2022, according to Statista, the English regions of - London, North West, East, West Midlands, Yorkshire and The Humber, East Midlands and North East, have a combined population of a little over 41.96m people.

The regions of South East and South West England, combined with Wales, have a population of 18.27m.

I don't see the ratio being 1 in 62 there mate.

It might sound like tin hat theory, but the facts don't lie.

As proven above, the concentration of focus in football in England and Wales, still to this day, delivers a remarkably unfair bias towards the North and Midlands - it's just a simple, irrefutable fact.

Bob Lord hated the idea of televised football and forced the hand for the blackout because he banned the BBC from Turf Moor.
The reality about Bob Lord was that he was a Grade A w⚓️ who hated any Southerner who presumed to be his equal - apart from the politicians he'd have his tongue ready for.

The blackout was the product of a complete sack of a Northerner who should be considered an embarrassment to the North, bought into by the North/Midlands-centric FA, further solidified by the way it keeps the wealth coming to the privileged clubs - it's a certain kind of BS that should never have been and should absolutely be binned off.