Sinclair ZX Computer | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sinclair ZX Computer

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Here’s the formula one game I mentioned, it was for the spectrum, I swear the graphics were better when I was younger.

Just goes to show that gameplay can trump graphics. Also that game had ads for Malboro, sold to kids 😂

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
What always amazed me about those early games for the ZX81 / Speccy / Vic20 etc etc was just how clever and versatile programmers were, and how they could eek out every possible memory block to try and write a game.

I don't think it even made it to sale, but back in the 80s some programmers made a version of Manic Miner for the ZX81. OK, black and white (the ZX81 didn't have colour), but it's an amazing achievement for 16k.

Reactions: monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
What always amazed me about those early games for the ZX81 / Speccy / Vic20 etc etc was just how clever and versatile programmers were, and how they could eek out every possible memory block to try and write a game.

I don't think it even made it to sale, but back in the 80s some programmers made a version of Manic Miner for the ZX81. OK, black and white (the ZX81 didn't have colour), but it's an amazing achievement for 16k.

The 'buttons' were proper frustrating!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Maybe we should have an old tech thread. Nostalgia apart, it would demonstrate the war wounds we have - just so the current generation‘s only decision is pretty much which type of UX they want. 😎

Jonathan Bolton

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2011
I was convinced it was called 3D Tyrannosaurus Rex, buti was only 11 or 12 at the time! But you're right!

I remember getting the magazine from the shop and then meticulously copying out the basic code to make it run something or other. Now I just type out code from my head to make things run.

The worst punishment I had as a kid was that my mum took the cable between the tape machine and the computer so I couldn’t load any games 😭.

There used to be a formula one management game, where you had to do the pit stop yourself, then later machines had Champioship Manager, Doom, and Civilization series.
Management games were all the rage then. I programmed and released ‘Snooker Manager’ on the Spectrum. At that time snooker was bigger than football due to hooliganism!!!

Oct 10, 2018
My grandchildren visited me yesterday and I was searching for something on the internet. We got talking about the various computers and systems I've had over the years including the joys of dial up internet and watching the league tables slowly fill up the screen. One of them asked me what was the first computer I had and did it have games. From the back of mind I dredged up the Sinclair ZX 80 or 81. It had a game which involved flying an aircraft around the small screen and I think you could get other games but I can't remember how you loaded them. I think the memory was about 1k but you could buy and plug in more capacity. It was a very popular device but laughable by present standards. Did any other old timers on here enjoy or suffer the frustrations of this gadget.
Yep my ZX spectrum, had rubber keys snd a series of addictove simplistic games, hyper sports, Horris goes Sking, Brick in the ball and Knightmare ( based on earliest CGI graphics).

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
I had a ZX 81 and my best mate had a Spectrum. I can't remember now but one of us had Harrier attack and would spend hours playing it.

During the Falklands conflict it took on a whole new dimension as we donned the persona's of the RAF pilots.

What I do remember though was waiting for 30 minutes plus for more 'complex' games to load when a slight vibration would cause the game to crash and we'd have to start again. We were two teenage boys literally glued still on a bedroom floor petrified of moving. As one game was nearing loading I can vividly recall my mate going mental as I shuffled ever so slightly and cocked the whole thing up again.

If you're reading Ian. Sorry mate. 😂