Second/Third generation exiles? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Second/Third generation exiles?

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Same for me finished school in York went back for a year then settled in South Yorkshire done 80 grounds from here and my 15 year old is now green and red for Argyle & Liverpool
He has done 38 grounds starting at stadium Of Light a game that was also on his birthdate that I unfortunately had to miss ! Yes the Tuesday night 5-1 defeat
How ironic that his first game was against Sunderland and also how typical of Argyle to be a goal down in a minute ! Luckily for him though his first experience was a win and then it was 20 long games before he would see them win again ! That's why I can forgive him also supporting the reds a little!

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
My sons were both born in Swindon but frequent visits “back home “ and trips to Home Park and the Far Post club with grandparents (while I sloped off to the Brit) sealed it. In April this year a grandson arrived and as soon as I can get within 2 metres the recruitment begins. Just need to get in before his other grandad who supports Swindon!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Princerock":1ygovugq said:
I'm a first generation Devonport born green.....but I must admit that having taken my son to Charlton when he was nine with his mate... the outcome 40 years later is... that the second and third generation of my family are Charlton season ticket holders....they have no connection to the W Country at all other than through me.....and we do all live in their catchment area of NW Kent.....good friendly club that revived from near death and have a good ground at the Valley.

Nothing at all wrong with having an allegiance to two clubs Princerock. :thumbs:

Apr 3, 2010
I moved away from Cornwall in 2015, I now have 2 kids both of whom were born in the north west and both now own argyle shirts my eldest I am very keen on taking to her first game next season at some point.

I am proud to support argyle and despite there being many lows in recent seasons I wouldn’t have it any other way to have my kids follow suit despite living miles from home park will make me so proud and living in the north west there’s plenty of away days to go to for example next season I will have 2 away days within 8 miles of my house Blackpool and Fleetwood but I just hope they’re later in the season for obvious reasons attending them!

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I guess i am a 2nd generation, i was introduced to Argyle by mother in the late 50's, my grandfather was a season ticket holder at Torquay, so it would be Argyle one week and Torquay the next, with my grandfather coming down to see Argyle about once a month. If my grandfather was coming down to see Argyle he would get us tickets for the grandstand, if it was just my mum and I it was the Devonport end. By the early 60's i often went to the games on my own, but my mum would go if there were going to be crowds i guess to protect me. Yet she allowed me to go on my own on the Pilgrim Express up to London, my first trip would have been around 61/62 can you imagine today allowing a 11 or 12 year old to go on a train to London by themselves, the train only got you to Paddington so i had to figure out by myself how to get to Charlton or Fulham or wherever Argyle were playing, also remember the train did not leave Paddington to come back to Plymouth until around midnight, so i would wander around get on the tube on the circle line and ride that for an hour or 2, even walked around Soho, which was very educational?????.
The 2 most memorable games i remember were the 2 games against West Ham and Tottenham in the FA Cup in the 61/62 season, over 27,000 for the West Ham game and 40,000 for the Spurs game. Ialso watched many Combination games and even went to i think it was SWPL games, i remember one game my friend Roger Clarke and i went to see Argyle play Newquay because one of the Newquay players was our science teacher at Tamar Mr. Barker, Roger and I were the only spectators at the game and we spent the whole game cheering Mr.Barker, at the end of the game all the players from Argyle and Newquay came over and shook are hands.
In 1964 my mother and I moved to Canada, it was very hard to get the results over there maybe 2 or 3 days later, i ended up buying a short wave radio so i could get the BBC sports service. We moved back to Plymouth in 66 and i resumed watching Argyle, unfortunately this did not last long as in 68 we emigrated back to Canada and for about the next 10 years i would fly back one or twice a year for holidays always making sure it was during the football season, i would stay with my gran and purchased a Brit Rail pass so that i could travel around to see Argyle, remember going to Halifax and Mansfield. Once my gran passed away the trips across the pond became very infrequent.
As time went by i got married and eventually we ended up having 2 boys as soon as they were old enough i introduced them to soccer (football), my family knew not to disturb me on saturday mornings when i would listen to the radio and then eventually to Argyle world where i could listen to Sparksy. Eventually we decided the boys were old enough to take them to England and to introduce them to Argyle. So in the 2004/05 season we came over and thanks to Steve (GOS) he arranged for tickets for us to see Cardiff away and Sunderland at home, we also went to see Yeovil away, Steve also arranged that i was interviewed by Sparksy along with Steve Davey at HT at the Sunderland game, Steve took a couple of pictures of the family with the boys and myself wearing our Argyle shirts, these pictures are still on the GOS site .Unfortunately the boys never got the Argyle fever. Since then the only time i have seen Argyle live was when i went over to watch Argyle at Wembley against Wimbledon. Thanks to Ifollow i can now watch every Argyle game live.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Blackpool pilgrim":qtqrbc7r said:
I moved away from Cornwall in 2015, I now have 2 kids both of whom were born in the north west and both now own argyle shirts my eldest I am very keen on taking to her first game next season at some point.

I am proud to support argyle and despite there being many lows in recent seasons I wouldn’t have it any other way to have my kids follow suit despite living miles from home park will make me so proud and living in the north west there’s plenty of away days to go to for example next season I will have 2 away days within 8 miles of my house Blackpool and Fleetwood but I just hope they’re later in the season for obvious reasons attending them!
Could you pay a visit to Home Park and bring Ryan Hardie with you?

Apr 3, 2010
davie nine":483li097 said:
Blackpool pilgrim":483li097 said:

Could you pay a visit to Home Park and bring Ryan Hardie with you?
I’d happily drive him down right now to sign I’m due a visit to home park soon anyway :greensmile: