Rupert Lowe | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rupert Lowe

May 29, 2011
Bristol
I live near Bristol. My doorbell just rang. It was a very familiar looking well spoken man canvassing for the Reform Party. I made my excuses and he disappeared and then I realised that he’s the ex Southampton chairman! I nearly ran after him to ask about Luggy’s disastrous spell as Saints boss but didn’t really want to encourage him…

Reactions: bodspafc

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I live near Bristol. My doorbell just rang. It was a very familiar looking well spoken man canvassing for the Reform Party. I made my excuses and he disappeared and then I realised that he’s the ex Southampton chairman! I nearly ran after him to ask about Luggy’s disastrous spell as Saints boss but didn’t really want to encourage him…
You say 'disastrous' As I understand it, after a 3-2 home win over Blackburn Paul Sturrock asked Lowe to back him against one of the Saints' staff he was forced to keep when he first went there. It was clear that one of them was leaking negative stuff to the newspapers and Luggy made it clear it was 'him or me'. When Lowe refuse to back Luggy he left. I went to watch a home game not too long after Luggy went there it was noticeable that the man in question stayed sat behind the new manager, arms folded and I did not see a word pass between them. And that was season before Paul walked away from St Mary's. I cannot be sure but when I moved to Southampton some years later a Saints' fan at work told me a story that was very similar.

RB00194

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jan 8, 2024

Should have invited him in for a coffee. Reform is the only way forward

Jonathan Bolton

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2011
I wouldn’t have said a 38% win rate was a disaster for Southampton in the Premier League at that time.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
You say 'disastrous' As I understand it, after a 3-2 home win over Blackburn Paul Sturrock asked Lowe to back him against one of the Saints' staff he was forced to keep when he first went there. It was clear that one of them was leaking negative stuff to the newspapers and Luggy made it clear it was 'him or me'. When Lowe refuse to back Luggy he left. I went to watch a home game not too long after Luggy went there it was noticeable that the man in question stayed sat behind the new manager, arms folded and I did not see a word pass between them. And that was season before Paul walked away from St Mary's. I cannot be sure but when I moved to Southampton some years later a Saints' fan at work told me a story that was very similar.
Without naming names ex Exeter City player Steve Wigley was Caretaker Manager at Southampton prior to Luggy’s arrival. Following Luggy’s premature departure Steve Wigley became full time Manager of Southampton. There was also some player power involved in Luggy’s demise. As for Wigley he had what can only be described as an unsuccessful spell as Manager and is currently in charge of the Fulham Academy team.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Without naming names ex Exeter City player Steve Wigley was Caretaker Manager at Southampton prior to Luggy’s arrival. Following Luggy’s premature departure Steve Wigley became full time Manager of Southampton. There was also some player power involved in Luggy’s demise. As for Wigley he had what can only be described as an unsuccessful spell as Manager and is currently in charge of the Fulham Academy team.
Thank you. I never realised about the Exeter connection. I was working near Southampton then so I was aware of the rest. I was well pleased at his poor performance when he took over. 3 wins in 17 games with one of them against a League One outfit and another over a League Two club. Of course, Portsmouth hero Harry Redknapp then took over and made absolutely sure that they were relegated. He did have a late scare when with two games a victory over Norwich lifted them out of the bottom 3. But a loss and a draw ensured Harry delivered relegation.

Reactions: Green as Grass

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
It was strongly rumoured that one of the players (I wont give his name for obvious reasons), was using recreational drugs and Luggy became aware of it. Lowe did not want the story leaked as the player was worth about 10m at the time. Luggy didn't want to play him, Lowe did. Lowe made the choice.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The same player went to Accrington Stanley as manager, the press thought he was wonderful.

However, I was told by a VERY good source within the boardroom up there, that he was sacked and he would never work as a manager again, and it's come to pass.

Nov 18, 2011
/me double-checks list of Acc Stanley managers on Wiki.

Oh...
Indeed

Also interesting to see that Luggy had brought in another player who was an upgrade on this person. That probably didn't help the relationship as Luggy could legitimately drop them.

Reactions: Quinny

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Indeed

Also interesting to see that Luggy had brought in another player who was an upgrade on this person. That probably didn't help the relationship as Luggy could legitimately drop them.
Luggy brought in Peter Crouch which did not go down well with everybody because they thought he was going to play the long ball game.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Southampton made £5 million profit on Crouch, plus got a years excellence out of him, so not a bad buy!!