Royal Marines Band | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Royal Marines Band

O

ogwellmike

They are class. Whether they are marching on parade or entertaining in an arena the Royal Marines are simply the best there is. I may be biassed but this German commentator obviously agrees with me.

Roll on Home Park on Saturday 15th.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pDTYAZ6iw

Ottawa Green":13js9coq said:
I thought it was the Royal Marines Band that played at the Argyle v Spurs FA Cup game in 1962, but reading John Lloyds book of classic matches i see it was The band of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment.

Often confused at a distance as they both wear white pith helmets but they do wear different colour tunics and the army march slightly quicker (tin helmet on!)

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Ottawa Green":3kpn5rc1 said:
I thought it was the Royal Marines Band that played at the Argyle v Spurs FA Cup game in 1962, but reading John Lloyds book of classic matches i see it was The band of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment.

Ah the D+D's, a very, very fine regiment and just so happens to be my old regiment. I remember marching to the band on many occasions and feeling proud as a peacock, nothing like it. I have no doubts we have quite a few old Devon and Dorsets on here as a large portion of the regiment was always made up of Janners.

O

ogwellmike

ogwellmike wrote:
They are class. Whether they are marching on parade or entertaining in an arena the Royal Marines are simply the best there is.
It was great to see them at Home Park again on Saturday even if the stadium acoustics were unhelpful. It was a pity we didn't hear more of them but it was an ambitious programme and I, for one, wouldn't have wanted any of the other things to be left out.

If you missed it on Saturday then here are the Marines on another occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pDTYAZ6iw

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
pilgrimmike1":1mpiwjjv said:
Ottawa Green":1mpiwjjv said:

Ah the D+D's, a very, very fine regiment and just so happens to be my old regiment. I remember marching to the band on many occasions and feeling proud as a peacock, nothing like it. I have no doubts we have quite a few old Devon and Dorsets on here as a large portion of the regiment was always made up of Janners.
John's book is correct about the Spurs game. It was the Band of the Devonshire and Dorset (by kind permission of Lt Col. PT Willcocks MC, MBE). The next big game was an under 23 international against Belgium on 7 November 1962 and the Board wanted the RM Band. However, according to the original Board minutes after they received a quote for £150 they turned to the Devon and Dorsets again - for £90. Both of these games also featured the RAF Dog Demonstration Team and Community Singing a la Wembley style. For the Football League v Irish League the programme lists it as "The Devonshire Regiment 1st Rifle Volunteer Territorial Army Band and Drums." At the bottom of the page in bold print is the following notice - "Young Spectators are warned that if they run on the pitch before, during or after the match the club will take drastic action." Drastic - a strong word? Perhaps it meant that they would be given tickets for Argyle's next home game!!!
Elsewhere in the Belgium programme was an advert for driving lessons with The Motor Training Centre, Tavistock Road - all for 13/6 (68p) and hour.

Apr 22, 2013
To correct my earlier post I have it on good authority that there are currently 5 (not 2) Bands of HM Royal Marines. Plymouth, Portsmouth, Scotland, CTCRM(lympstone) and MWS Collingwood.

T

Tyhee_Slim

I've got a vague recollection of the RM Band playing on the pitch before the FA Cup quarter final against Derby in '84. By the way, there was a RM Band based at HMS Raleigh back in the 70s/80s - was that separate to the one based at Stonehouse (or was there one at HMS Drake)? I vaguely remember the whole shebang having some sort of reference to 'FOP - Flag Officer Plymouth' or something like that, but as a civvie I don't really understand it all. Any experts out there who can enlighten me on this?

By the way, it was quite something to see someone referring to 'the modern era' thus dismissing quite a lot of my memories like the English League 12 Irish League 0 match. Blimey - I feel veeeerrry old all of a sudden. :sad:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I have a dim and distant memory of some military people (marines?) carrying a giant pasty onto the pitch before a game, it might have been the Watford FA Cup game at Home Park about 6 years ago? Can anyone fill in the gaps?