Rochdale | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rochdale

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
In serious financial trouble - apparently six weeks away from liquidation unless £2m investment (for a 90% stake in the club) is found before the end of March. The journalist Paul Waugh is a Rochdale fan, and he's tweeted about his concerns for the club.

Last edited:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Once had an interesting chat with their Chairman who was jealous of Argyle's support.

"We're an 80p tram ride from the Man City and Man Utd. Who would you choose"?

Reactions: RochdaleGreen

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Once had an interesting chat with their Chairman who was jealous of Argyle's support.

"We're an 80p tram ride from the Man City and Man Utd. Who would you choose"?

I'd still choose Rochdale to be honest. But I'm weird like that!

No tourists, no state-backed financial doping. Just football.

It must be so hard to run one of the 'other' football clubs in the Manchester area. Look at what's happened to nearby Bury, Oldham and slightly further afield Macclesfield. But there are some who are thriving - Stockport have made it back from regional football, and Altrincham, one of the grand old names of non-league football, could conceivably be a League 2 side next year.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY

It must be so hard to run one of the 'other' football clubs in the Manchester area. Look at what's happened to nearby Bury, Oldham and slightly further afield Macclesfield. But there are some who are thriving - Stockport have made it back from regional football, and Altrincham, one of the grand old names of non-league football, could conceivably be a League 2 side next year.
What do you think re. Salford or do you think the former Man U players, who own the club, make them permanently secure despite their geographical location?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
What do you think re. Salford or do you think the former Man U players, who own the club, make them permanently secure despite their geographical location?

Yeah I'm not a great Salford fan to be honest. I wish they'd taken over one of the many permanently cash-starved clubs in the area instead of adding to the competition. The Nevilles' dad was a Bury director wasn't he?

Interesting article in the Observer a year or so back after a serious survey by a sports management consulting firm. They were convinced that Lancashire could not support the number of professional football teams across the county’s population, and many bankruptcies or moves to amateur status were inevitable. My only thought at the time was that surely Yorkshire must have an equally large number of clubs in a similar population.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Interesting article in the Observer a year or so back after a serious survey by a sports management consulting firm. They were convinced that Lancashire could not support the number of professional football teams across the county’s population, and many bankruptcies or moves to amateur status were inevitable. My only thought at the time was that surely Yorkshire must have an equally large number of clubs in a similar population.

Yorkshire has a much bigger population though, and its football clubs are mostly in the bigger urban conurbations (Leeds and West Yorkshire, Sheffield and South Yorkshire/North Derbyshire), whereas there are a fair few Lancashire teams which are fighting for fans with massive global superclubs and based in quite small towns themselves. Accrington for instance has a population equal to Exmouth, and is within an easy drive of Blackburn, Burnley and Preston. And Manchester and Liverpool aren't far.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Surely to counter that the loan, player moving house etc is eliminate, their in the “fallout zone” for players, but fanbase is incredibly hard. Weird.

BBP

Nov 2, 2023

I used to watch Altrincham back in their Northern League heyday, they were a good side who had a number of excellent FA cup runs.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
May 26, 2015
I heard that the new controversial MP George Galloway has pledged to help Rochdale AFC. Not sure what to make of that.