RIP Dave MacLaren. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

RIP Dave MacLaren.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Yes Dave was very good in the air.That was his strength in my book.Always remember him wearing a flat cap.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
First keeper I saw and my favourite with big Jim Furnell. RIP.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Yes my first keeper too. I would be too young to have been able to appraise him as a keeper in comparison to others that have played for us, however as he played in my first ever game at HP his name brings back great memories.

RIP.

Jul 6, 2005
Very sorry to hear this sad news, condolences to the family for someone who was a firm favourite among Argyle fans in the early sixties.

First game I saw at HP was versus Cardiff City on Boxing Day 1962. My abiding memories of that game are Argyle losing 2-1 at half time but winning 4-2 and of Dave MacLaren sorting out their CF, Derek Tapscott, who had a reputation for roughing up the opposition goalkeeper. The ball came over from a corner at the Devonport End and 3 or 4 players went up for the ball and when they came down, Tapscott was on the floor spitting out blood after Dave MacLaren caught him with a well-disguised punch.

He was a quality keeper but Malcolm Allison didn't rate him and he moved on.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
RIP, Dave.

I certainly remember him as a very fine goalkeeper in my teenage years watching Argyle.

As stated, John Leiper was in the Argyle squad at the same time as Dave and I often see him going past us at the back of the grandstand on the way to his seat. I have wondered, occasionally, when 'argyleapf' contributes on here whether that is John's pseudonym.

However, I did note that 'argyleapf' made a complimentary comment on the recent Argyle Old Boys thread about Dave McLaren that referred to his 'early days as a supporter' so I guess that dispels my notion.

John Squire":258101af said:
dunlop":258101af said:
Green as Grass":258101af said:
Dave MacLaren was a class act. In my 65 years supporting Plymouth Argyle I have not seen a better Argyle goalkeeper.

That's some praise. :thumbup:

How I agree with that!! In my support of Argyle since a young boy in 1957, I can recall 'big' Dave Maclaren dominating his area. A big man with a big amount of talent. One of the best keepers ever at Home Park.

RIP Dave.

I must agree with my bro' !!

When I was a very young lad at Home Park, he always appeared a BIG guy to we smaller folk [well EVERYBODY was] but a soft, gently spoken man.

Sad miss

RIP - soft, gentle guy !

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
As we new it was expected but still sad to hear of the loss. It does sound as if it was a release from a lot of pain.
A great Argyle legend.
:nworthy: