Radio Devon Digital Radio | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Radio Devon Digital Radio

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":3kiv49s4 said:
djg145":3kiv49s4 said:
I bought my digital radio specifically to listen to Argyle away matches and found it difficult today to find that I could only listen to Exeter - sort it out BBC - email sent.

Last year Sparksy would say that Argyle commentary would be on DaB in the Plymouth area, implying that elsewhere in the county it might not. When I drive from Plymouth towards Exeter, BBC Radio Devon on the DaB setting I have saved in the car, disappears around South Brent.

Apparently (probably as a cost cutter) Radio Devon can't split their DAB coverage this year so Emma Clements has decided that she should nominate a 'stand out match' each week for commentary on DAB and she selected City v Yeovil. I have emailed explaining that the two men and a dog who follow City are totally catered for by the coverage on 990mtrs mw and she shouldn't worry her pretty little head about 'stand out matches' because the simple test works like this: If Argyle have a match it is 'the stand out match' as their fanbase covers the whole of Devon and beyond and the only time City need to be on DAB is when the play.....Plymouth Argyle...got it? Well done! :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Wilf Carters Boots":2nf703lc said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nf703lc said:
djg145":2nf703lc said:
I bought my digital radio specifically to listen to Argyle away matches and found it difficult today to find that I could only listen to Exeter - sort it out BBC - email sent.

Last year Sparksy would say that Argyle commentary would be on DaB in the Plymouth area, implying that elsewhere in the county it might not. When I drive from Plymouth towards Exeter, BBC Radio Devon on the DaB setting I have saved in the car, disappears around South Brent.

Apparently (probably as a cost cutter) Radio Devon can't split their DAB coverage this year so Emma Clements has decided that she should nominate a 'stand out match' each week for commentary on DAB and she selected City v Yeovil. I have emailed explaining that the two men and a dog who follow City are totally catered for by the coverage on 990mtrs mw and she shouldn't worry her pretty little head about 'stand out matches' because the simple test works like this: If Argyle have a match it is 'the stand out match' as their fanbase covers the whole of Devon and beyond and the only time City need to be on DAB is when the play.....Plymouth Argyle...got it? Well done! :scarf:

I can understand where she is coming from on match selection but I don't understand why their DaB coverage can no longer be split. Putting one plug in a hole rather than a different one is surely not going to save them any money.

You want to thank your lucky stars there aren't more teams in the area. If this was London, there would be no guarantee that every Argyle game would even be featured on the radio locally on any format or frequency apart from online with a subscription. Teams like Barnet and Daggers in this division will be lucky to have local BBC radio coverage of more than 4 games per season.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":38rreyud said:
Lundan Cabbie":38rreyud said:
If this was London.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

So we are lucky, radio coverage wise, that there aren't loads of clubs BBC Devon could choose from. Ever since I have been down here, EVERY Argyle game (Paint pot excluded) has been on local radio. Not everywhere has that luxury.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":25i4tpij said:
Wilf Carters Boots":25i4tpij said:
Lundan Cabbie":25i4tpij said:
djg145":25i4tpij said:

I can understand where she is coming from on match selection but I don't understand why their DaB coverage can no longer be split. Putting one plug in a hole rather than a different one is surely not going to save them any money.

You want to thank your lucky stars there aren't more teams in the area. If this was London, there would be no guarantee that every Argyle game would even be featured on the radio locally on any format or frequency apart from online with a subscription. Teams like Barnet and Daggers in this division will be lucky to have local BBC radio coverage of more than 4 games per season.

Every time Radio Devon try tinkering with the coverage LC, you come on here pontificating how lucky we are not to be in the midst of bloody London. Well we aint. We are here where there are 2 league clubs and still they can't get it right in proportion to the fanbases and listening areas. I am geographically aware of where other teams are thanks I don't need telling. I just want radio Devon to stop moving the goal posts so I can listen, that's all.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Wilf Carters Boots":xv75nu4a said:
Lundan Cabbie":xv75nu4a said:
Wilf Carters Boots":xv75nu4a said:
Lundan Cabbie":xv75nu4a said:
djg145":xv75nu4a said:

Every time Radio Devon try tinkering with the coverage LC, you come on here pontificating how lucky we are not to be in the midst of bloody London. Well we aint. We are here where there are 2 league clubs and still they can't get it right in proportion to the fanbases and listening areas. I am geographically aware of where other teams are thanks I don't need telling. I just want radio Devon to stop moving the goal posts so I can listen, that's all.

But the Licence fee is the same price in Barnet as it is in Devon. You're moaning about nothing. Argyle commentary is always available in the county on one frequency or another. Anybody would think they were pulling out altogether.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
You don't need a licence for the radio LC and I don't think I am moaning about nothing....I am moaning because
I could not listen to the Wimbledon match on Saturday because, without any warning BBC Radio Devon changed their
policy. If I lived in friggin Barnet I would probably invest in Argyle Player but because Radio Devon said one thing I, like some others on here, invested in a DAB radio to listen to my team in deepest darkest Devon.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I meant it is paid for by the licence fee. I understand your frustration though, what with change happening with what seems to be without notice. It wont be every week though. DAB is bound to carry Argyle regularly.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I wonder what the reason for not splitting th dab broadcast is? The texhnology was there last year and the technology to split the fm broadcast still works ok.

I feel that they are phasing out individual broadcasting and this is the first step.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenThing":352vy1lt said:
I wonder what the reason for not splitting th dab broadcast is? The texhnology was there last year and the technology to split the fm broadcast still works ok.

I feel that they are phasing out individual broadcasting and this is the first step.

It is quite unique to have different commentaries going out around the county. The norm elsewhere is for one match to be selected for main commentary and reporters at the other games being brought in to report goals and significant action.

When Argyle play Exeter or Torquay I have always thought it a bit uneconomical to have two separate productions from the same match being broadcast by the same radio station.

Oct 11, 2014
Lundan Cabbie":14be1kq2 said:
GreenThing":14be1kq2 said:

It is quite unique to have different commentaries going out around the county. The norm elsewhere is for one match to be selected for main commentary and reporters at the other games being brought in to report goals and significant action.

When Argyle play Exeter or Torquay I have always thought it a bit uneconomical to have two separate productions from the same match being broadcast by the same radio station.

Personally for the Devon Derby, they should have 3 in the Commentary Box (Sparksy in one corner, Barge in the other with a neutral inbetween) with two others out with the fans, instead of having two separate commentary teams

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Rich McLean":1n779b1g said:
Lundan Cabbie":1n779b1g said:
GreenThing":1n779b1g said:

Personally for the Devon Derby, they should have 3 in the Commentary Box (Sparksy in one corner, Barge in the other with a neutral inbetween) with two others out with the fans, instead of having two separate commentary teams

Absolutely, and a licence for lots of banter

Dec 3, 2005
Can I make it very clear - over the past 3 or maybe 4 years, I have listened to EVERY Argyle away game on my Digital Radio, now they/she changes the policy, WITHOUT informing anyone. Even before yesterdays match, they were telling us that the Argyle match would be on 95.7FM in Plymouth AND on Digital Countywide, then it got to 3pm and it was the damn Exeter game!!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":1hpx50yr said:
Can I make it very clear - over the past 3 or maybe 4 years, I have listened to EVERY Argyle away game on my Digital Radio, now they/she changes the policy, WITHOUT informing anyone. Even before yesterdays match, they were telling us that the Argyle match would be on 95.7FM in Plymouth AND on Digital Countywide, then it got to 3pm and it was the damn Exeter game!!

Before this weekend, what was put out on DAB in the Exeter area on match days? I have only ever heard Argyle featured on digital but it disappears after South Brent on the A38.