PNE takeover? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

PNE takeover?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire

Hoping there's a consortium for us out there too.

Perhaps this news should be viewed as positive for Argyle.

I always regard ourselves as pretty much on a par with PNE in regard to fan base size and although they are well established in the 2nd tier they've never really got close to getting near the Premier. They have better facilities currently, but, still don't think we're a long way apart.

Reactions: Tavy Tony

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Hoping there's a consortium for us out there too.

Perhaps this news should be viewed as positive for Argyle.

I always regard ourselves as pretty much on a par with PNE in regard to fan base size and although they are well established in the 2nd tier they've never really got close to getting near the Premier. They have better facilities currently, but, still don't think we're a long way apart.

Sorry but I think we are miles away from being on par with PNE

Reactions: Argy1e

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PNE are a long established Champ. club, with a history of top flight football, albeit many years ago. Can’t see any Argyle comparison I’m afraid.

Correct. PNE haven't been in top flight since 1961.

PNE have been in Championship since 2015.

They average around 16,000 at home.

Their wage bill is reportedly in the bottom 6 of the Championship

The last two of these points are where I see similarities. I suspect potential investors will not really pay lot of attention to their rich history in the early years of the professional game.

Aug 17, 2005
The rumours started at the weekend with Nixon stating it was a Miami based consortium and then adding they had new York funding

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I've said this before on a similar thread. I'm afraid it's the same old problem: location, location, location.

And, to a still quite significant degree, I think: history, history, history. PNE are 'storied'as people like to say these days; Argyle are just not. Generally long ago they may be, but compare their honours to Argyle's - not to mention that they were one of the Football League's twelve founder members, and its inaugural winners, thus becoming the first national league champions anywhere and anywhen in the entire history of the infinite multiverse (as far as we know). I don't think the Devon Professional Bowl quite stacks up! (I watched two or three of those finals around the turn of the 60s/70s, along with maybe 1,000 fellow Home Park stalwarts - and I lived out in Yelverton, a two hour-plus round trip by bus and on foot.)

Like it or not, to most people in the country Plymouth the city, and Argyle the club, are in the backwaters. I think the only way this will ever change now is through promotion to the PL, and I for one, having wished for top flight football for Argyle all these years, am no longer sure if I even want that. (Well, OK, maybe just the one heroic relegation season during which they win everyone's hearts but just not quite enough points.)

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
I've said this before on a similar thread. I'm afraid it's the same old problem: location, location, location.

And, to a still quite significant degree, I think: history, history, history. PNE are 'storied'as people like to say these days; Argyle are just not. Generally long ago they may be, but compare their honours to Argyle's - not to mention that they were one of the Football League's twelve founder members, and its inaugural winners, thus becoming the first national league champions anywhere and anywhen in the entire history of the infinite multiverse (as far as we know). I don't think the Devon Professional Bowl quite stacks up! (I watched two or three of those finals around the turn of the 60s/70s, along with maybe 1,000 fellow Home Park stalwarts - and I lived out in Yelverton, a two hour-plus round trip by bus and on foot.)

Like it or not, to most people in the country Plymouth the city, and Argyle the club, are in the backwaters. I think the only way this will ever change now is through promotion to the PL, and I for one, having wished for top flight football for Argyle all these years, am no longer sure if I even want that. (Well, OK, maybe just the one heroic relegation season during which they win everyone's hearts but just not quite enough points.)
Totally agree. Our location is our issue. Dont get.me wrong i love Plymouth and the west country but its seen as a holiday destination or little old plymouth.

My job took me away from Plymouth and i have lived in many parts of the UK. I will retire one day back in plymouth but for a supposed small backwards city the house prices are crazy......

I do have to laugh at the northerner's moaning about HS1/2 etc etc yet we havent even got a motorway past Exeter!!!!!.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Very similar to Blackburn really, once very very famous, now very much not so.

No bigger than PAFC in my book. Far better history though (which isn't hard tbf).