Playing Very Badly and Winning | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Playing Very Badly and Winning

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Bermudian Green":2v417k8a said:
Graham Evans":2v417k8a said:
Glad we won but a massive clear out is needed next season if we are to avoid a repeat performance.

I had one of those with about 5 minutes left and you're right, I don't want a repeat performance!
You and half the Green army, sometimes it just stinks. :lol:

May 22, 2006
I don't believe in luck when it comes to football, or indeed most sports. Winning the lottery is lucky, because that relies entirely on random chance. If a team spurns a load of good chances then that isn't random, nor is it lucky or unlucky - it's incompetent. If Aldershot couldn't take any of their chances, whose problem is that? They're the ones who need shooting practise. If they had goals disallowed for offside, tough sh!t. They should have learned how to stay onside. Again, not our problem. Luck's got nothing to do with it.

Did we play badly? The object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent. We did that. We also did it against Bradford and Shrewsbury playing more or less the same tactics. You'd barely be able to argue that we're lucky if we achieve it once, but we're achieving it consistently. In that case maybe it's time to re-evaluate what "playing badly" actually means, because although it may not be pretty, and it may go against what you believe are the correct tactics, you can't deny that it's working. Results dictate that.

It isn't luck when you take advantage of someone else's inability - it's natural order.

Jan 6, 2004
Playing badly in this context means

1. Utter inability to pass
2. Creating no chances - even our goal was a fluke
3. inability to leave our half of the field against mediocre opposition
4. allowing the opposition numerous chances

In this context, even though we won, we played badly. Just as on occasion ever fan jumps up and says we woz robbed - sometimes you have to accept the other way around