Playing Very Badly and Winning | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Playing Very Badly and Winning

Feb 2, 2007
After attending many games over the passed few seasons I can not remember a time when we played so terribly and won. We are often told it is the sign of an effective team to be able to do this, and it is not a dig at the players today, in awful conditions. We have often played pretty well and lost or drawn.

Anyone remember games this season or in the last few when we have won playing badly.... the only other one I can remember was the "smash and grab" at St. Mary's last season (how long ago that feels now!)

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
Happy for the Greens to "Win Ugly", only a few teams these days are able to play attractive football and win. I just want us to remain in the Football League and move on from this season. Assuming we are still a Football League club come the 5th of May 2012 we can think about what happens next season then. Huge thanks must go to those youngsters who never mind trying to win, actually turned out in a Plymouth Argyle shirt from August to December to keep the club going. :clap:

Oct 24, 2010
We aren't playing poorly, football is as much about defending as it is attacking and in our situation defending well is more important and we have been defending exceptionally well for weeks which is the reason for our rise up the league. When you are fighting relegation it's all about being hard to beat and grinding out results. Certainly if we are to challenge at the right end of the league next season (not taking anything for granted yet) we will have to improve when we have the ball, but that's for next season, not this.

I quite agree Esmer.

There is more to playing well than dominating possession and having the most shots. Our play has been very effective, and continuing it into next year would possibly see us fairly comfortable.

Loftier ambitions would require a change of style, but that's for then.

N

newquaygreen

And Aldershot were nothng special either, we did okay :scarf:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
As I and many others have said it matters not how we play we couldn't care less if we performed like this all season if it brought about our survival. Today it was clear we were out to score then sit back as we did at Hereford we scored early and sat back as you can tell from our total shot count, on Friday we failed to hold on but today we managed it and it has put us that step closer to survival...

There has been a lot of speculation about Fletch without getting into that old debate I think he has played a blinder today it may not have been pretty but in my opinion it was pure genius we needed points nothing more and once we were in a position to secure those points we shut the attack down and defended for our lives...

Still we're not there yet we may be close but the fights not over not until we are officially safe but I can't help feeling we are there it just needs confirming :scarf:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
esmer":2dr1ige8 said:
We aren't playing poorly, football is as much about defending as it is attacking and in our situation defending well is more important and we have been defending exceptionally well for weeks which is the reason for our rise up the league. When you are fighting relegation it's all about being hard to beat and grinding out results. Certainly if we are to challenge at the right end of the league next season (not taking anything for granted yet) we will have to improve when we have the ball, but that's for next season, not this.

Well said that man! (Especially the bit in bold). Six conceded in the last twelve and no more than one in any game is a remarkable stat and cannot be luck. It's hard graft, professionalism, organisation and team work. How can that be called "playing badly"?

Our seeming escape is quite plainly attributable to shoring up the defence. The stats don't lie. Purse has been fantastic! We have also played a very deep midfield and Wooton and Walton have played their part. The football has generaly been awful to watch and this season I am quite happy about that if it has ensured our survival. Job done Fletch! However next season I won't be quite so mellow about watching such terrible football.!

Sep 16, 2009
I think it's worth remembering our appalling start to the season. When Fletch took over we were already relegated in many people's eyes and he was expected to save our football league status with a porous defence and powder puff attack. I think Fletch is fairly switched on and his initial thoughts must have been survival at all costs, which he MAY have achieved with a series of shrewd signings, ie Chadwick, Purse, Wotton and MacDonald, and by improving our atrocious disciplinary record. However, I do not believe that, at any time this season, Fletch has had the luxury of being able to select a team to play attractive, winning football as he has realised from day one that we are in a survival dogfight and it is win at all costs. Hopefully our league status will be ensured soon and Fletch will be given a good pre season to allow him the freedom to buy and sell players to enable him to select a team that he believes will play positive, attractive football and have Argyle challenging for promotion in twelve months time. COYG !!!! :scarf:

Jan 6, 2004
We won yesterday because of blind luck. We could easily have lost 4-1 with defence playing exactly as it did and people would not have been praising it. Of course the result is the most important thing but I reserve my praise for the team for when they have played well, win, lose or draw. Yesterday we were abysmal in all aspects (save for larrieu's save) and we avoided a hammering not by defending well but by relying on our opponents bad luck and poor finishing