Play Offs - How is money divided up? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Play Offs - How is money divided up?

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Was just curious IF we make the play offs, how is the money divided? And interestingly it looks like the semi final gate money is divided across all 4 x semi finalists but it looks like 50% of the gate money might go to EFL? Also not clear what happens to the TV money as well? Not sure if reading that right . Can anyone explain how it works ?

7103BEC6-9B74-4F68-996E-915A3935F846.jpeg

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, the four play-off clubs receive 12.5% each of the total gate receipts from the four games, the other 50% goes into the Pool Account and is paid out to the other League One clubs depending on their finishing position.

For the final each club receives 25% of gate receipts and the other 50% goes into the Pool Account.

TV money from all matches is paid to the EFL.

Basically, the competition belongs to the EFL and they distribute the revenue generated from the play-offs to the rest of League One.

If we did make the play-offs I guess we would have made more money from the Chelsea game than the play-offs, especially if teams like Wycombe or MK Dons make the play-offs with their small fanbase.
That said, an Argyle v Sunderland final would fill Wembley.

The club could do its own range of play-off merchandise and make its own money that way without the EFL grabbing some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koala Green

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Yeah, the four play-off clubs receive 12.5% each of the total gate receipts from the four games, the other 50% goes into the Pool Account and is paid out to the other League One clubs depending on their finishing position.

For the final each club receives 25% of gate receipts and the other 50% goes into the Pool Account.

TV money from all matches is paid to the EFL.

Basically, the competition belongs to the EFL and they distribute the revenue generated from the play-offs to the rest of League One.

If we did make the play-offs I guess we would have made more money from the Chelsea game than the play-offs, especially if teams like Wycombe or MK Dons make the play-offs with their small fanbase.
That said, an Argyle v Sunderland final would fill Wembley.

The club could do its own range of play-off merchandise and make its own money that way without the EFL grabbing some.
That’s great thanks for clarifying. Not as lucrative as I thought especially no tv money.
So let’s imagine say 100,000 watch all 4 games of the semifinals (home and away) , we get the equivalent of a 12,500 game in receipts . And a Wembley sell out would see us net say 25% of 80,000 which is a 20,000 crowd. And I presume higher ticket prices too. Plus merchandise on top. You would hope we could make a few quid even if unsuccessful and it will all be unbudgeted income too. Obviously the real prize is getting into Championship and the $8m tv money.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
That’s great thanks for clarifying. Not as lucrative as I thought especially no tv money.
So let’s imagine say 100,000 watch all 4 games of the semifinals (home and away) , we get the equivalent of a 12,500 game in receipts . And a Wembley sell out would see us net say 25% of 80,000 which is a 20,000 crowd. And I presume higher ticket prices too. Plus merchandise on top. You would hope we could make a few quid even if unsuccessful and it will all be unbudgeted income too. Obviously the real prize is getting into Championship and the $8m tv money.

£8mill TV money in the championship would double our revenue. No wonder championship sides pay significantly bigger wages than L1 clubs.

Jun 27, 2019
Argyle would probably show the away leg of the playoff on a big screen at HP. That wouldn't count as official gate revenue so we'd be able to keep that, and any money made through refreshments etc as well.