On GoS: HP59 - Undercover Operations | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

On GoS: HP59 - Undercover Operations

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
From memory I was told it will transmoglify into a store. I doubt whether that facia will stay as it is though. Why would you spoil the look of all that beauty before you. Saying that, I like the retrocity (my word) of the sign.

Plus, what always amazes me is when I look at the webcam which to be fair is no more than 6 times a week (unlike some anoraks :greensmile:) I never see any bugger working. Yet come Sunday, amazing leaps have been made. They're like Borrowers.

Good work as always to Bob and Steve.

May 16, 2016
Action Jackson":3l9v1i3n said:
Penmaster":3l9v1i3n said:
Biggs":3l9v1i3n said:
Action Jackson":3l9v1i3n said:
Does anyone else think that it looks very much like the old grandstand? I'm slightly underwhelmed to be honest.

Also, why is there a window that over looks the pitch in the supporters bar? If theres any plan for the corner fill ins then surely that view would just look onto the back of a stand?

The last three pics in the set show how massively different the new stand looks, though after all it IS the same basic structure as the old one so of course it will look sort of similar. Though I don’t know how anyone can say these pics look ‘very’ much similar...

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/photos. ... oad=pic118

And re the window in the supporters bar, yes the plans are to fill in the corners but why wouldn’t you want to make the best use of the view while you have it?

I think with the new seats in it will look significantly different and much improved. Remember how much better (IMO) it looked for the Liverpool game just by adding vaguely green seats. As for the corners, I'd be amazed if they ever get done. The price per seat would be much more than the work that has been undertaken so far. It would only make business sense if we were selling out for every game over the course of a few seasons, which I think would only happen with a sustained spell in the Premier League. Which is a fair way off from where we are now.

Dont get me wrong, i think it's a great improvement and like you said, it will be great to see people back in the lower part of the Mayflower, however i just dont think it looks that grand now the roof has been put on.

Not sure what architectural gem you were expecting to see on an old refurbished stand with basic Green metallic cladding. One that will be used for 1st Team Football and sat in about 26 times a year including Cup games.

The end result is unsurprisingly pretty much matching the original, but since, updated artists impressions from way back when.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
On what planet does the new stand pretty much match the original?

How can anyone looking at those last three GoS pics not see the monumental difference? And that’s with it still half finished.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks once again Steve/Bob and the freelance guy.

Mar 23, 2019
Biggs":2rgonhwx said:

How can anyone looking at those last three GoS pics not see the monumental difference? And that’s with it still half finished.

It's much nicer, but it's not a monumental difference... a monumental difference would be the corners being filled in and extra 5k seats being added to the grandstand.

Skip between photos 118 and 119 to see an upgrade, nothing more.

Oct 31, 2015
Action Jackson":t9faebfs said:
Biggs":t9faebfs said:

It's much nicer, but it's not a monumental difference... a monumental difference would be the corners being filled in and extra 5k seats being added to the grandstand.

Well apart from

All seater 2 tier stand with more comfortable seating arrangements.
Better facilities internally for conference, board room, match day corporate etc
Up to date changing rooms to modern standards
New physio area.
Better catering facilities
Built for purpose office space instead of temp buildings for the business side of the club.
Better, wider roof with Solar panel generation
Modern team dug outs instead of crap perspex or wooden sheds.
Larger footprint to fit all the above.

All for £7-8M

Fill the corners in and the price really rises. Do you have the money to invest?

Apart from all that there is not much difference :doh:

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
tonsk":snal77bc said:
Wow, what a set that was!

Steve, I think the low sloping roof is the College swimming pool building. I spent many an evening and early morning there when my daughter was part of the Leander club.

tonsk

Is it maybe the back of Hyde Park House?

Here's a screen cap from google after 'flying in' from Home Park

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
PlymouthCasual":2j5gfcra said:
I assume that the tea hut where the stand should extend to at the Barn Park End will be staying :facepalm:

Does anyone remember if this tea hut ever sold beer . Although my memory has seen better days I am sure it used to back in the sixties .

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
As GOS says in the final picture of this set, I can't see many people wanting to use the lower Mayflower east section nearest the barn park. That's a soaking waiting to happen, actually worse if your sat down rather than stood up.
Still doesn't sit right with me that there's no long term plan to extend the upper tier to provide symmetry, extra capacity and coverage for the lower tier at that end. It leaves it looking a bit hotch-potch still. Even the ends of the roof structure are different with one end angular (Devonport) and the other straight up (Barn Park).

Mar 23, 2019
rsp4":3fjoncmv said:
Action Jackson":3fjoncmv said:
Biggs":3fjoncmv said:

Well apart from

All seater 2 tier stand with more comfortable seating arrangements.
Better facilities internally for conference, board room, match day corporate etc
Up to date changing rooms to modern standards
New physio area.
Better catering facilities
Built for purpose office space instead of temp buildings for the business side of the club.
Better, wider roof with Solar panel generation
Modern team dug outs instead of crap perspex or wooden sheds.
Larger footprint to fit all the above.

All for £7-8M

Fill the corners in and the price really rises. Do you have the money to invest?

Apart from all that there is not much difference :doh:

Like i said, an upgrade. Not a monumental difference.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Think that you're both missing what each other are saying.

HC - AJ is saying that as far as supporters are concerned and visibility the revamped stand doesn't offer much. He doesn't see that the money has been spent wisely and is inferring that new supporters won't be drawn to the stand per se.

AJ- HC is saying that what is going on under, or as part of the revamped stand, is far more important than the capacity and how the stand differs visually. He is saying that the facilities are such an upgrade that it will attract players (and some supporters) and therefore will attract supporters.

I think you're both right. The new stand will not be the panacea for attracting a horde of new fans (personally I don't think filling in the corners will either but hey) - but if players believe that they will have good facilities available to them it MAY make a difference in their decisions to commit to sign for or stay at the club.

Exciting, winning, football will bring the crowds in. The facilities needed the upgrade but from a fans perspective it's a big improvement on what was there but not a massive one visually.

Mar 23, 2019
Mark Pedlar":1l3k0ejq said:
Think that you're both missing what each other are saying.

HC - AJ is saying that as far as supporters are concerned and visibility the revamped stand doesn't offer much. He doesn't see that the money has been spent wisely and is inferring that new supporters won't be drawn to the stand per se.

AJ- HC is saying that what is going on under, or as part of the revamped stand, is far more important than the capacity and how the stand differs visually. He is saying that the facilities are such an upgrade that it will attract players (and some supporters) and therefore will attract supporters.

I think you're both right. The new stand will not be the panacea for attracting a horde of new fans (personally I don't think filling in the corners will either but hey) - but if players believe that they will have good facilities available to them it MAY make a difference in their decisions to commit to sign for or stay at the club.

Exciting, winning, football will bring the crowds in. The facilities needed the upgrade but from a fans perspective it's a big improvement on what was there but not a massive one visually.

Spot on, Mark.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
up_the_line":3m5spsap said:
As GOS says in the final picture of this set, I can't see many people wanting to use the lower Mayflower east section nearest the barn park. That's a soaking waiting to happen, actually worse if your sat down rather than stood up.
Still doesn't sit right with me that there's no long term plan to extend the upper tier to provide symmetry, extra capacity and coverage for the lower tier at that end. It leaves it looking a bit hotch-potch still. Even the ends of the roof structure are different with one end angular (Devonport) and the other straight up (Barn Park).

I think you're right in a way BUT it would almost be 'wasted' money in so much as it's not necessary is it?

Plus, you never know, the off centre look about it, when all finished could be quirky enough to be cool. I'm into straight lines and symmetry but sometimes, it's good to be slightly off with design. Let's face it, Pisa was a fluke, but it's a nice fluke. :greensmile: