Offside Rule | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Offside Rule

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
I've watched the occasional Big Match Revisited games on BT Sport recently and it has struck me how many goals were struck off for offside which would be allowed now. It seemed that if someone was offside it didn't I matter if they were interfering with play or not.
I suppose that it is the same with many things but you can't compare someone with x many goals today with the past. Many of the goals scored today wouldn't have been allowed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I've watched the occasional Big Match Revisited games on BT Sport recently and it has struck me how many goals were struck off for offside which would be allowed now. It seemed that if someone was offside it didn't I matter if they were interfering with play or not.
I suppose that it is the same with many things but you can't compare someone with x many goals today with the past. Many of the goals scored today wouldn't have been allowed.
"Seeking to gain an advantage by being in that position" was all the referee had to decide in order to call a player offside back then. Also, "level" was offside which is no longer the case.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Before 1925 there had to be 3 players between the attacking player and the goal line. I think there are a couple of posters on here that remember those days.

• Haha
Reactions: Lundan Cabbie