No domestic live EFL from next season on iFollow - ATV Too? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No domestic live EFL from next season on iFollow - ATV Too?

Feb 22, 2021
Ok Argyle techies, strictly in the interests of research of course , I have got myself a month long proton vpn trial package but am little bamboozled on quite how one would then access territory restricted English footie. Is it simply the case that if I were to be connected to the interweb via proton, say via Holland, I could just click into a hypothetical English footie club site, purchase a match pass (subject to the credit card id point discussed above) click and watch?

Could you do this in advance or would the IP address then be different when you log back in via the VPN and mess things up?
I am a truly at the far frontier of my technical ability here. Help!

Jan 6, 2004
A short history on VPN technology for anyone interested (Mark 😉). Back in the day I helped design/deploy many of the early VPNs. Virtual Private Networks were originally designed to segregate private network traffic from other networks - typically the public Internet. In the old days companies would buy leased lines from BT, Virgin etc. and pay through the nose on line rentals. VPNs changed that allowing traffic to be ‘tunnelled’ through the Internet with authorisation and encryption technology ensuring that the connection could be trusted and secure. This was typically known as site to site VPN. There are other use case examples but I’ll keep it simple.

Then along can remote access VPN, allowing individual users (home networking for example) and small offices to connect to HQ doing away with costly dial up and/or ISDN type technologies. My company was using and selling this technology in the early/mid 2000s and I was regularly working from home long before the boom during Covid.

The hosted VPN services discussed here are based on the same principles, except the main objective is to disguise your identity. Basically, making it look as though you are coming from a remote location even though you are local - or vice versa as the use case determines.

Clearly there’s lots of detail but I’ve tried to keep it fairly straightforward - hopefully that helps explain it a little if anyone is interested.
What I am more interested in is how easy it is to detect a VPN is being used?

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Ok Argyle techies, strictly in the interests of research of course , I have got myself a month long proton vpn trial package but am little bamboozled on quite how one would then access territory restricted English footie. Is it simply the case that if I were to be connected to the interweb via proton, say via Holland, I could just click into a hypothetical English footie club site, purchase a match pass (subject to the credit card id point discussed above) click and watch?

Could you do this in advance or would the IP address then be different when you log back in via the VPN and mess things up?
I am a truly at the far frontier of my technical ability here. Help!
Exactly right. Fire up the VPN and connect to an overseas country then purchase a match pass. You can then disconnect and reconnect when it's time to watch. You won't even have to connect to the same country, just somewhere where ATV is being shown.
I have a season long pass (I live in Switzerland a lot of the time, especially at weekends!) but I'm sure it's the same for individual ones.

Reactions: WasthereatBury

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

No simple answer because it will depend on what the host VPN company is using, but also of course the tracking capabilities of the destination content provider. There will be a multitude of spoofing tools being used and remember their reputation is solely based on anonymity/security. So, hard, but …

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
A few years ago VPNs were frequently blocked but I think it was a case of the specific VPN IP address being blacklisted rather than the VPN use actually being detected. It often used to take a few tries with different connections before one worked.
I haven't had an issue with VPN use for several years now, though.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
A short history on VPN technology for anyone interested (Mark 😉). Back in the day I helped design/deploy many of the early VPNs. Virtual Private Networks were originally designed to segregate private network traffic from other networks - typically the public Internet. In the old days companies would buy leased lines from BT, Virgin etc. and pay through the nose on line rentals. VPNs changed that allowing traffic to be ‘tunnelled’ through the Internet with authorisation and encryption technology ensuring that the connection could be trusted and secure. This was typically known as site to site VPN. There are other use case examples but I’ll keep it simple.

Then along can remote access VPN, allowing individual users (home networking for example) and small offices to connect to HQ doing away with costly dial up and/or ISDN type technologies. My company was using and selling this technology in the early/mid 2000s and I was regularly working from home long before the boom during Covid.

The hosted VPN services discussed here are based on the same principles, except the main objective is to disguise your identity. Basically, making it look as though you are coming from a remote location even though you are local - or vice versa as the use case determines.

Clearly there’s lots of detail but I’ve tried to keep it fairly straightforward - hopefully that helps explain it a little if anyone is interested.

Thanks for posting.

I am no techy, so, wanted to check something. I believe a game on Sky may not be shown in many other countries either. So, the VPN won't resolve that issue will it?

Or are all these posts about trying to watch Saturday 3pm games when actually in UK and masking that fact?

Reactions: Belfast Green

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
When you get off the bus, if the German guard says "Good luck", just act like you don't understand what he's saying.
Classic cultural reference, Jon! (y)

That brief moment in The Great Escape has been used in our family whenever describing something that initially seems to be fine but goes drastically wrong. Let's just hope that all the pre-Stoke match optimistic hype doesn't fall into that category...

Reactions: Jon with no H

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018

Thanks, Frank, I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for the likes of me. It certainly makes more sense but I fear that I am a lost cause, having not moved on much from the 90s, when I thought that Working With Windows was something to do with selling double glazing... :confused:

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Feb 13, 2021
This may have been mentioned before, what happens to the staff associated with Argyle TV and will the Station still be up and running with interview's after matches and during the week etc. Will they be made redundant? I hope not.

Feb 13, 2021
I've checked with Argyle and there will be no reduction to staff numbers

Indeed they are looking forward to improving the already brilliant (in my opinion) offering.

All positive from Argyle Towers Tony. 👍
Good news and thank you

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Thanks for posting.

I am no techy, so, wanted to check something. I believe a game on Sky may not be shown in many other countries either. So, the VPN won't resolve that issue will it?

Or are all these posts about trying to watch Saturday 3pm games when actually in UK and masking that fact?

So re: your first para. That’s actually the reverse use case as I mentioned earlier. Here a foreign user might use a VPN to appear as they are inside the UK and therefore ‘legitimately’ access domestic services (though clearly there is a subscription challenge with Sky).

Your second para is correct - when games are only available internationally, you might use a VPN to appear as though you are outside the UK.

BTW - I should say I’m not endorsing any of this 😝 - simply trying to explain how the technology works.