My vision/strategy to move Argyle forward, yah thoughts | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

My vision/strategy to move Argyle forward, yah thoughts

Nov 12, 2012
There are a number elements that needs reviewing at Argyle here are some suggestions. 1) Moving training from our ameteur Harpers Parker set up, by agreeing a season deal to use indoor and outdoor footy facilties at places like Estover colleage, just been finished of great standard, Marjons, Ivygridge sports ground - recently refurbished through national sports federation grant, thus avoiding headlines like "Argyle unable to train due to water logged pitches".

2) Approach European clubs with the aim of setting up a Young and Player development programme, with similar sized club in Europe, perhaps France i.e. Lorient, Nantes, Rennes or Poland like Krakow, Denmark- Silkberb. The strategy/aim - To exchange players whom manager or coaching staff have sighted as having potential to reach the senior squad and make an impact on the league in a season or two's time i.e. Jared Sims, Matt Lecont, players who may benefit from a change in cultural football - learning new techniques /skills etc, or simply mental rehabilitation (confidence boost) by playing or training away from home environment. This scheme would be jointly funded, could be incorporated as part of pre-season and close season. Companies from both local area's could bid for sponsorship, thus help funding the project, in exchange for appearing on match advertising boards, corporate marques, Club websites, programmes etc.

3) Need to stop relying on the loan market so much, by starting an "acadamy assessment programme". Mr N and senior scount at start of each August choose seven premier club acadamy games to visit the aim to review, strengths, tactic's, weaknesses and how they compare to PAFC 's current set up. Then in Sept we look to review finding with PAFC manager, board, and coaching team. Then in Oct we do the same but with seven Championship acadamy games, then conduct same review in NOV, and so forth working down the leagues to the Blue Square premiership.

I believe with these ongoing programmes it would give you an indepth insite to the skills, strengths and abilities of UK football, and perhaps using the knowledge and different attributes of the european partnership to enable Argyle to adapt their footballing product accordingly, and laying foundations for a more such successful club.

Nov 12, 2012
not usre whats confusing here that merit Eh, simply my suggestions on moving the club forward food for thought

C

Cult Of Personality

I like the ideas and think its a good way of moving forward

But sadly i dont think these ideas would be taken on board

I dont think this board care about the football side of things and rather set up deals in europe for better pies and beer then for players and coaches

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Dont we use Marjons already?

And were'nt Nantes in the Champions league not so long ago? Hardly similar size?!

Sorry Matty, but we need to be an established Championship club to make a lot of the stuff with the young players work.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
So to summarise;

Set up a deal with a local uni/college to make use of their superior training facilities.

Go into partnership with one or more European club to send our young players on loan to help develop them.

Benchmarking our academy against setups in other leagues.

All seems reasonable to me.
I remember years back our youth coach (Gibson?) used to send our young lads to Sweden for a month or two in the summer to get games in their league. Seemed to have done Paul Connolly some good.

I've seen a bit of Finnish league football this summer just gone, West Brom had a youngster at VPS Vaasa playing centre back. So seems an idea worth exploring.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
mattym":3fpd86vb said:
There are a number elements that needs reviewing at Argyle here are some suggestions. 1) Moving training from our ameteur Harpers Parker set up, by agreeing a season deal to use indoor and outdoor footy facilties at places like Estover colleage, just been finished of great standard, Marjons, Ivygridge sports ground - recently refurbished through national sports federation grant, thus avoiding headlines like "Argyle unable to train due to water logged pitches".

2) Approach European clubs with the aim of setting up a Young and Player development programme, with similar sized club in Europe, perhaps France i.e. Lorient, Nantes, Rennes or Poland like Krakow, Denmark- Silkberb. The strategy/aim - To exchange players whom manager or coaching staff have sighted as having potential to reach the senior squad and make an impact on the league in a season or two's time i.e. Jared Sims, Matt Lecont, players who may benefit from a change in cultural football - learning new techniques /skills etc, or simply mental rehabilitation (confidence boost) by playing or training away from home environment. This scheme would be jointly funded, could be incorporated as part of pre-season and close season. Companies from both local area's could bid for sponsorship, thus help funding the project, in exchange for appearing on match advertising boards, corporate marques, Club websites, programmes etc.

3) Need to stop relying on the loan market so much, by starting an "acadamy assessment programme". Mr N and senior scount at start of each August choose seven premier club acadamy games to visit the aim to review, strengths, tactic's, weaknesses and how they compare to PAFC 's current set up. Then in Sept we look to review finding with PAFC manager, board, and coaching team. Then in Oct we do the same but with seven Championship acadamy games, then conduct same review in NOV, and so forth working down the leagues to the Blue Square premiership.

I believe with these ongoing programmes it would give you an indepth insite to the skills, strengths and abilities of UK football, and perhaps using the knowledge and different attributes of the european partnership to enable Argyle to adapt their footballing product accordingly, and laying foundations for a more such successful club.

You obviously put a lot of thought into that and have some good ideas for the footballing side of the club, however, what about the important business side of things; car park development, arena, hotel, restaurants, bar, clubs, shop, etc etc, that's what we're focussing on now, football can come later, when the fans come up with the money to fund it.

Nov 12, 2012
Green blood, I take your pont but my thoughts were more towards the playing side of the club, players, coaching staff. However I do have a few ideas there two.

For example I would be putting together a Argyle Portfolio, showing our plans for catering, hotel/accommodation i.e. rates, facilities on offer, business functions, events support and management i.e. Live Music, arts and culture, thus giving a professional marketing catalogue to provide to local, National and international businesses.

In preparation to this I would be consulting with Plymouth Chamber in Commerce, Local and National Companies with office or divisions within or around the city of Plymouth, asking what they would want from Argyle, how they percieve the Club now and how they would like to see the Club develop, i.e. are there any particular markets untapped we could provide a focus.

Lastly I would look to revise the ticket strategy for match days, i.e. Offer special family tickets i.e. Two tickets with two children under 16 for £40 including a match programme, or 10% off the shop or food stand.

Group concession for more than 6 adults entering together each person being over 18, provided they book at least 72 hrs in advance with no refunds permitted enter games at £60.00 plus 10% off Argyle Shop or food stand.

Introduction of "Group season ticket" and "family season ticket " based upon the above terms and conditions,

Away fans ticket concession, if you travel to more than 5 away games not including Exeter or Torquay and keep the ticket stubs as proof then you receive "free entry" to any home game of your choice & 10% off food stand in side of ground.

Combined sports ticket from club outlets - £50, allows adult entry into Argyle home game- cup or league fixture, Plymouth Albion home game - cup or league and one Plymouth Raiders or Plymouth Speed Way meet.

Sponsor a player - donation fund, fans for fun can sponsor a player for as little as £1.00 per game, at the end of the season this money is passed into the trasfer pot for manager.

Nov 12, 2012
Forgot to set a price for the season tickets for my Family plan and group plan, well x individual costs by number of home games.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
mattym":2dhdu6f6 said:
not usre whats confusing here that merit Eh, simply my suggestions on moving the club forward food for thought

Okay, a more in depth response.

Recognising our position at present I would think we should walk before we run.

Approach businesses to sponsor a youth programme! Better we have that revenue for first team development.

Scouting Europe! Scout anywhere as there's no evidence of that at present (can anyone confirm what our scouting set up is please).

Training facilities, I don't recall, though on a day like today I can imagine it happens, that Harpers is unusable for any length of time and I don't believe it's the facilities more the content of training sessions that needs to be looked at.

In short you're either 4 years too late or 4 years too early with your suggestions and would be beneficial only once the club/team has made some progress towards stability.