Music Plymouth have run out to | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Music Plymouth have run out to

Dec 22, 2009
West London
Semper Fidelis - when the team come out on the pitch. 'A walk in the Black Forest' when we all trudge out into the drizzle after a home defeat.

I remember Warnock using 'Simply the Best'.

The club also went through a spell of playing 'Nellie the Elephant' - not sure why!?

Jan 27, 2012
bristolmac":2vakj3kq said:
For a while it was Simply the Best by Tina Turner. I think during Neil Warnock's time as manager (mid nineties).

I thought it was for a short time in the David Kemp era- early nineties ?

But after much protesting from fans it was changed back to the traditional Semper Fidelis.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Hearing Semper still gets the hairs on the back of my neck !!

I remember as a kid we had the marine band playing ut a lot more than happens now although it could be because I was at big games maybe cant remember
Would love to see that a couple times a s season though again just for my nostalgia if nothing else!!

Jan 27, 2012
Were Plymouth Argyle the first club to play music when the teams came onto the pitch ? Has Semper Fidelis been used longer than any other club’s music ?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":2ox997qd said:
Were Plymouth Argyle the first club to play music when the teams came onto the pitch ? Has Semper Fidelis been used longer than any other club’s music ?

Arsenal always had a marching band right up until the 70’s but don’t know how far back that went.

Jan 28, 2005
I have been attending games at Home Park for at least 50 years. In that time there have only been two interludes when Argyle have not run out to Semper Fidelis by J. P. Sousa - obviously the best recorded version is by the Band of the Royal Marines.

The two interludes were the 1995-96 season when manager of the time, Neil Warnock, insisted the team run out to 'Simply the Best' as warbled by Tina Turner. After six games the team were 92nd in the league with no points ('Simply the Worst').

I have tried hard to remember which season in the early 70s Argyle ran out to 633 Squadron composed by Ron Goodwin who, as a boy, lived in Goodwin Crescent when it was still Swilly Crescent, about 100 yards from the mansion of my childhood.

Apparently, the record used for playing Semper Fidelis had been damaged and the club was finding it difficult to get a replacement - my Dad (who played SF on a 78 when Argyle won away) said that Argyle had failed to win in the several matches when they had to run out to 633 Squadron (which I like and wish we heard often at Home Park) but won when Semper Fidelis was restored.

I am pleased that currently Semper Fidelis gets a pretty good airing as the teams enter the field of play - I just wish that no pre-recorded music were played after it. Presumably, the people responsible for the intrusive noise are inside and don't realise that we do not need this right up until the first ball is kicked. The same applies to Led Zeppelin after Dave Banana's somewhat eccentric offering when the second half is about to begin. 'A Walk in the Black Forest' by Horst Jankowsky is compulsory after the game, whatever the result.

Dear Mr Announcer

You must play SF in full before the game, and play Dave Banana's version before the second-half if you must. But don'[t play anything after both of these.

Dear Mr Researcher

Every success with your project!

Swillyboy (brought up within the sound of Home Park)