Mid-table | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mid-table

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
To Nobby & Co, who I accept unreservedly as loyal Argyle fans.

You have said that those of us who have been calling for a change of leadership had too high an expectation for this season and should be satisified with the mid-table finish which you yourself expect.

Do you still think we are on course for a mid-table finish under the present Management, or will you now finally accept that we are deep in relegation trouble?

Personally, as things stand and with Brent's apparent reluctance to make the obvious decision, I would bite your hand off for 3rd bottom come early May.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
The writing is on the wall for a defeat at excretia, to put us to the bottom of the division - how smug they will be and we will have been "unlucky"

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
demportdave":2x4n13v8 said:

You have said that those of us who have been calling for a change of leadership had too high an expectation for this season and should be satisified with the mid-table finish which you yourself expect.

Do you still think we are on course for a mid-table finish under the present Management, or will you now finally accept that we are deep in relegation trouble?

Personally, as things stand and with Brent's apparent reluctance to make the obvious decision, I would bite your hand off for 3rd bottom come early May.

I wasn't at today's game so can't really comment. From the sounds of it we were largely the better side and should have had a penalty.

Still think this crop of players are easily good enough for mid-table just need to get out of this run of form. Think Fletch is capable of doing it, but I doubt he'll be given the time now. Results not good enough, wouldn't surprise me if Brent wielded the axe.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Nobby":2r6pv9zb said:
demportdave":2r6pv9zb said:

I wasn't at today's game so can't really comment. From the sounds of it we were largely the better side and should have had a penalty.

Still think this crop of players are easily good enough for mid-table just need to get out of this run of form. Think Fletch is capable of doing it, but I doubt he'll be given the time now. Results not good enough, wouldn't surprise me if Brent wielded the axe.

Fair enough but i think the problem is:

if the players are easily good enough and Fletcher is capable of doing it ... why hasn't it happened yet? :think:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":2gnqww1y said:
Nobby":2gnqww1y said:
demportdave":2gnqww1y said:

if the players are easily good enough and Fletcher is capable of doing it ... why hasn't it happened yet? :think:

It was happening, until we played: Fleetwood, Bradford, Rotherham, Cheltenham & Gillingham. All in the top 6, four of them away from home.

Hardly an easy run of games. Chesterfield we should be beating though, especially at home.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Our squad could be mid-table with the right manager, I think the time has to come to accept that due to this inept management our squad won't be able to come mid-table without a change.

I've even come to think this week that if we don't change the manager, we may even go down rather than come 18th/19th which is what I previously though. Get a new manager in right now, someone better can take us up to mid-table, rebuild the squad and make a push next season.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Pogleswoody":3bznlv0u said:
Nobby":3bznlv0u said:
demportdave":3bznlv0u said:

And there you have it I'm afraid, very succinctly put Pogleswoody.

20 League games and only 4 wins, not to mention the humiliation at Dorchester - when is Fletcher going to show that "...he is capable of doing it...?

Don't you think it's time to accept the inevitable and replace him as Manager?

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
Nobby , how much more time do you think Fletcher should be given? As things stand we are going to non league and nothing Carl Fletcher can do can avoid this.Dont get me wrong , i have enourmouse sympathy for him as he should never have been put in this position in the first place.He is not a suitable person to be a manager of a football club and never will be. I invite your comments.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Graham Evans":1dgawvze said:
Nobby , how much more time do you think Fletcher should be given? As things stand we are going to non league and nothing Carl Fletcher can do can avoid this.Dont get me wrong , i have enourmouse sympathy for him as he should never have been put in this position in the first place.He is not a suitable person to be a manager of a football club and never will be. I invite your comments.

I'll keep it brief, because I sound like a broken record otherwise.

Firstly, this season was more about stability than anything for me and keeping the same manager will bring that. I think we've played better than our results have shown (from what I have seen anyway) and I think we have the makings of a good side.

Does Fletcher have his shortcomings? Absolutely. However, I don't think he's getting a lot wrong. Today, Chadders shouldn't have started, but otherwise I'd have picked the same 11. By the sounds of it, we should have DEFINITELY had a penalty. That would have (should we have scored) brought us a point.

However there's a lot said on here about CF that is complete myth. For example "He's too close to the players, doesn't know how to get angry with them". "He's lost the dressing room". Complete rubbish, because none of us know that & judging by the words of PCH on Twitter, he's completely behind Fletch.

Secondly, I'm completely against the sack culture we have in English football. 50 out of 92 managers have been appointed within the last year, that's frankly ridiculous. Fletcher, if given time and more importantly financial backing (because, let's face it, not a single person on here knows our budget, that too is myth territory) will help bring stability to a ship that has been sinking for four years and Ithink he can turn us around and guide us to mid-table this year. Next year I expect a promotion push, regardless of who the manager is.

I'd be sad to see Fletch go, however if we were to get a good replacement (not like some of the RUBBISH touted on here.. Jamie Carragher, Paul Ince, Paul Hart etc...) then I wouldn't be against change.

To be brutally honest, I couldn't give a flying f*ck who the manager is, I'd just like us to start winning some games again.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I also disagree with the sack culture Nobby, but that's because a lot of the managers sacked were doing something resembling a half-decent job. Fletcher's doing worse this season than pretty much any other manager in the 92 I can think of aside from possibly Mark Hughes at QPR.

E

Every Saturday

With all due respect to "Fleetwood, Bradford, Rotherham, Cheltenham & Gillingham", the Plymouth Argyle I have followed for the last 50 years or so should "expect" to beat clubs like that ... with the possible exception of occasionally Bradford and occasionally Gillingham (when we are poor)

If we expect mediocrity we will get mediocrity

Plymouth Argyle is better than that - and we have got to aim higher

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Every Saturday":1zyef8gy said:
With all due respect to "Fleetwood, Bradford, Rotherham, Cheltenham & Gillingham", the Plymouth Argyle I have followed for the last 50 years or so should "expect" to beat clubs like that ... with the possible exception of occasionally Bradford and occasionally Gillingham (when we are poor)

Oh to be mediocre would be an improvement at the moment. :banghead:

Who are the mighty Fleetwood anyway ? :doh:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Every Saturday":4pi82yaq said:

With all due respect, we're not that Plymouth Argyle anymore. We're a Plymouth Argyle who have hit the lowest point in there history and somehow come out the other side still a football club. Rebuilding from the bottom upward will take time.

I too want to be ambitious, but while we're still getting back on our feet, i'm more interested in being stable.

E

Every Saturday

Financial problems dont seem to have affected Port Vale much - or Southend

We are one of the largest clubs in this division - we have one of the largest attendances in the division - we have one of the largest incomes in the division - we have (apparently) a very competitive playing budget

Last season we hit a low point - and escaped. How many professionals did we have "signed up" in the close season? Wasnt it somewhere around eight?

As a club we were "united" and we had a great chance to rebuild. Half a season later, where are we? We have a bloated squad of over 30 but are one point off the relegation zone of the bottom league

Plymouth Argyle are better than this - and if we believe we are not we will continue to be a very poor outfit