Memory Lane: Bason & Taylor | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Memory Lane: Bason & Taylor

Aug 13, 2011
Going down memory lane here but in my opinion Brian Bason and Brian Taylor were two of the best players ever to run the midfield at Home Park. If anyone can remember them please do comment.. Late 70s. Taylor, (who unfortunatley was taken from the world too early), was a menacing midfielder, direct with perfect balance and dribbling skills with a rapier shot. Bason, ever dependable, versatile, scored many cracking goals himself, linked superbly with a young Kevin Hodges. I recall them and the threat they were and what a treat it was to see midfielders taking defences on for skill (a la Dalton). We needed to beat Port Vale at home in 1978 under Big Mal and went one down to a Ken Beamish strike. Then Taylor & Bason literally took over completely with scintillating midflield play all game. Fred Binney got two in the 3-2 win which sparked celebrations as if we'd won promotion. This midfield dribbling ability is one feature totally lacking with the present squad. The two Brians were superb. However, if we do stay up the celebrations will be no less vibrant, that's for sure. Come on you Greens!!

Jun 28, 2006
Salisbury
Maybe it's because these two played when I was an Argyle-mad teenager, but yes I agree - these were two of the best midfield players I've seen play for Argyle. Taylor was the entertainer with his dribbling skill and Bason was pure quality - always felt he was too good for us (and the opposition). When I think about Walton and Wotton and other recent midfielders - well, there's just no comparison really is there (at least in terms of footballing ability)? Still, all are part of Argyle's story. Very very sad about Brian Taylor's early death.

Aug 13, 2011
jimmygreen":1bvtay3b said:
Maybe it's because these two played when I was an Argyle-mad teenager, but yes I agree - these were two of the best midfield players I've seen play for Argyle. Taylor was the entertainer with his dribbling skill and Bason was pure quality - always felt he was too good for us (and the opposition). When I think about Walton and Wotton and other recent midfielders - well, there's just no comparison really is there (at least in terms of footballing ability)? Still, all are part of Argyle's story. Very very sad about Brian Taylor's early death.

Thanks for the reponse Jimmy. Yes they were so easy on the eye and quality like you say. Brian Taylor was as good as you'd see in the Premiership now at gliding past people. As I say one of the best balanced players I've seen in a Green shirt. Bason was mesmeric at times. If there was nothing happening give the ball to Bas. In the more modern era I've enjoyed watching Garry Nelson, Paul Dalton (a genius at times) and Steve McCall in the midfield roles but none so much as Bason & Taylor in the same team. Port Vale couldn't live with them in the releagtion battle i related. I remember a goal Bason scored against Swindon, he had the defender hanging on to this shirt from his own half, but he refused to go down, out ran him with the ball and blasted an arcing shot over the advancing keeper. What a goal. Taylor? Ask Bradford in the 6-0 the game after. They couldn't catch a glimpse of him before he was gone! There are certainly in the bracket of Argyle midfielders who scared the pants off defences. Yes, I think in the same team, the best!

G

GreenMill

I remembered Brian Bason from a golden goal he scored on the Big Match for Chelsea in 1976. When we signed him just over a year later, I thought we had bought a superstar :)

Here it is about 1 minute 36 seconds in but its worth watching the whole thing for nostalgia's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk82PGXxmEY

And here's one he scored for us against Swansea on Match of The Day in 1979! it's about 2 minutes and 3 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ulIMyI ... ure=relmfu

I loved both the Brians!

Aug 13, 2011
GreenMill":2b9ehb1u said:
I remembered Brian Bason from a golden goal he scored on the Big Match for Chelsea in 1976. When we signed him just over a year later, I thought we had bought a superstar :)

Here it is about 1 minute 36 seconds in but its worth watching the whole thing for nostalgia's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk82PGXxmEY

And here's one he scored for us against Swansea on Match of The Day in 1979! it's about 2 minutes and 3 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ulIMyI ... ure=relmfu

I loved both the Brians!

Great stuff GreenMill, I will chack these out when I get on my laptop. Thank you so much. I remember that Swansea game Brain Bason nearly got a 2nd cracker, it was top corner bound, and Crudgington, then of Swansea, pulled off a miraculous save. Taylor was a sensation, he had everything, could have played at a much, much higher level. Bason was the driving force/engine room of the team for a long time. Why, when he went to Palace they didn't regard him highly I don't know, they must have either played him out of position or at least not to his strengths. These were the sort of midfielders that gets you off to games with a notion you could see something special. I don't get that feeling now I have to admit but hopefully we can survive and build and get create flair back out there!