Lowe and Mayor | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe and Mayor

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":1nkxp8uk said:
WoodsyGreen":1nkxp8uk said:
Always makes me laugh when people ask why clubs aren't 'queuing up' to sign a particular player.

Where is this mythical queue and how do we see what clubs are in it?
To the best of my knowledge no other teams have made a move for him and there have not been any rumours to that affect. If you know differently perhaps you would like to share the info with us?

Why would I know? I'm just like you, a mere fan.

Only Danny Mayor and his managers will know how many clubs have been interested in him over the course of his career. I would bet good money, though, that every manager in League Two and most in League One would take him in a heartbeat.

Feb 8, 2005
oldage":2roeq08x said:
WoodsyGreen":2roeq08x said:
Always makes me laugh when people ask why clubs aren't 'queuing up' to sign a particular player.

To the best of my knowledge no other teams have made a move for him and there have not been any rumours to that affect. If you know differently perhaps you would like to share the info with us?

Maybe it's because no transfers can take place until January at the earliest.

Jul 12, 2016
jimsing":1ksvltg7 said:
oldage":1ksvltg7 said:
WoodsyGreen":1ksvltg7 said:

There were plenty of opportunities to sign him last season and before this season started.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Mayor is class 'on the ball'. Having said that he scored one goal in every 7 games for over 200 games for Bury, but only one goal so far in 31 games for Argyle. He is obviously playing in a different role, or, he had had a loss of form. The difficulty is knowing witch, but it is obvious that RL is satisfied with him or he would not be selected.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":qqlslyr6 said:
jimsing":qqlslyr6 said:
oldage":qqlslyr6 said:
WoodsyGreen":qqlslyr6 said:

There were plenty of opportunities to sign him last season and before this season started.

It was well documented that he chose to sign for us over Ipswich, who are bar Sunderland, the biggest club in the lower leagues. Since then he’s been under contract and the only transfer window where someone may have considered buying him was riddled by COVID-19.

Jul 12, 2016
Nobby":1z55f441 said:
oldage":1z55f441 said:
jimsing":1z55f441 said:
oldage":1z55f441 said:
WoodsyGreen":1z55f441 said:

It was well documented that he chose to sign for us over Ipswich, who are bar Sunderland, the biggest club in the lower leagues. Since then he’s been under contract and the only transfer window where someone may have considered buying him was riddled by COVID-19.
Sorry don't buy this. If he is as good as some make out he would have been at the top of most lower league club's lists not just one.

Jun 27, 2019
You're assuming that it was only Argyle and Ipswich who were in for him. Those were the two clubs we know for a fact he visited, but that doesn't mean there weren't others who he didn't bother with because he wasn't interested.

He visited Argyle because half of his former teammates and management were signing for us. He visited Ipswich because they're a big club. Who knows how many others he turned down because they didn't appeal?

You seem to be basing your argument that Mayor is over-rated on a lack of interest in him when he signed for us. If you can present evidence that it was definitely only Argyle and Ipswich who were in for him then fine, but until then this argument doesn't hold any water.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":3ldsvohp said:
You're assuming that it was only Argyle and Ipswich who were in for him. Those were the two clubs we know for a fact he visited, but that doesn't mean there weren't others who he didn't bother with because he wasn't interested.

He visited Argyle because half of his former teammates and management were signing for us. He visited Ipswich because they're a big club. Who knows how many others he turned down because they didn't appeal?

You seem to be basing your argument that Mayor is over-rated on a lack of interest in him when he signed for us. If you can present evidence that it was definitely only Argyle and Ipswich who were in for him then fine, but until then this argument doesn't hold any water.

Yes Oldage clearly has inside knowledge on the shopping list of every other League 1 club. Wonder where he gets that from. To suggest only 1 other team would be interested is obviously nonsense. Unusual for Oldage.

Feb 23, 2006
Is it just me that thinks a certain poster on this topic is showing a touch of the Victor Meldrews and is probably a member of the Flat Earth Society ;)

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":43beshyp said:
WoodsyGreen":43beshyp said:

Yes Oldage clearly has inside knowledge on the shopping list of every other League 1 club. Wonder where he gets that from. To suggest only 1 other team would be interested is obviously nonsense. Unusual for Oldage.
How is it obviously nonsense. Prove it?

Jul 12, 2016
graygreen said:
Is it just me that thinks a certain poster on this topic is showing a touch of the Victor Meldrews and is probably a member of the Flat Earth Society ;)[/q
If you are referring to me it won't be the first time I have been criticised and it will not be the last. I speak as I see it and will continue to do so. :thumbup:

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
oldage":2chkekx7 said:
Nobby":2chkekx7 said:
jimsing":2chkekx7 said:
WoodsyGreen":2chkekx7 said:

Sorry don't buy this. If he is as good as some make out he would have been at the top of most lower league club's lists not just one.

Since you seem 'in the know', how many clubs tabled big money offers for Carey whilst he was under contract with Argyle. My stats say zero. Probably a big queue though right?

Jan 27, 2012
oldage":30btiihj said:
We could easily have missed out on promotion because we were far from convincing and it was just as well the season finished when it did. Mayor has done little to date to suggest he is better than Carey or Lameiras. He has only played 11 times in league one and who knows he could still be part of a relegation team .Nobody has yet answered a question I have raised before ,if Mayor is so good why aren't other clubs queuing up to sign him? He is a good player and RL has the potential to be a great manager but it is far too early to go overboard on their achievements to date.

I'd agree with that.

Mayor is a good player but there is a reason has spent most of his career in Leagues One and Two. Argyle have previously had better players in that position and not just Graham Carey.

As for Lowe, I like him but he is still relatively unproven. He has managed two well funded teams out of the basement division.

So whilst both are good, I wouldn't get too caried away.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
gaspargomez":og3yh753 said:
oldage":og3yh753 said:
We could easily have missed out on promotion because we were far from convincing and it was just as well the season finished when it did. Mayor has done little to date to suggest he is better than Carey or Lameiras. He has only played 11 times in league one and who knows he could still be part of a relegation team .Nobody has yet answered a question I have raised before ,if Mayor is so good why aren't other clubs queuing up to sign him? He is a good player and RL has the potential to be a great manager but it is far too early to go overboard on their achievements to date.

I'd agree with that.

Mayor is a good player but there is a reason has spent most of his career in Leagues One and Two. Argyle have previously had better players in that position and not just Graham Carey.

As for Lowe, I like him but he is still relatively unproven. He has managed two well funded teams out of the basement division.

So whilst both are good, I wouldn't get too caried away.

Hang on. Mayor can't be all that good because he's played most of his career in lg 1 & 2 but Carey was better having only played in leagues 1 & 2?
Out of the two only one has been signed by a championship club. Danny Mayor played over 30 games for Preston in the championship and a smattering for Sheffield Wednesday. I'll wait for the stat of how many championship games Carey has played.