Lopsided Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lopsided Argyle

Jul 12, 2016
jerryatricjanner":3eac9fmm said:
?? So when you see an athlete run or jump their arms are redundant are they?
So why select him to play if he is not fit enough? RL says he is not a risk taker regarding injuries.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Monster Green":13cp13zg said:
SteelCannon":13cp13zg said:
Having just three at the back is always risk, but not if it’s the CORRECT back three and we don’t have that yet.

The OP was correct about us being lop-sided with the left side being abundantly stronger than the right. McFadzean and Mayor are an absolute joy to watch playing together and their link up play is mesmerising. I tipped Fadz to be one of our finds of the season and I’m pleased to say I think that’s one I got right for once!

I don’t know what the answer is on the right, several posts on this thread suggest some good options. My thoughts, and this with the current formation, when all fully fit would be:

Palmer
Cooper, Aimson, Josh Grant
Conor Grant, Baxter, Sarcevic, Mayor, McFadzean
Telford, B.Moore

You'd leave out Edwards and play a RW at CH? Odd.
I don't go as often as I wish I could. But I had the impression Conor Grant was predominately a left-sided player.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":rldo27ob said:
Monster Green":rldo27ob said:
SteelCannon":rldo27ob said:
Having just three at the back is always risk, but not if it’s the CORRECT back three and we don’t have that yet.

The OP was correct about us being lop-sided with the left side being abundantly stronger than the right. McFadzean and Mayor are an absolute joy to watch playing together and their link up play is mesmerising. I tipped Fadz to be one of our finds of the season and I’m pleased to say I think that’s one I got right for once!

I don’t know what the answer is on the right, several posts on this thread suggest some good options. My thoughts, and this with the current formation, when all fully fit would be:

Palmer
Cooper, Aimson, Josh Grant
Conor Grant, Baxter, Sarcevic, Mayor, McFadzean
Telford, B.Moore

You'd leave out Edwards and play a RW at CH? Odd.
I don't go as often as I wish I could. But I had the impression Conor Grant was predominately a left-sided player.

He was called into service last season, before he was crocked, on the left side and was considered very promising in that position. This was much in contrast to his fellow Evertonian, who came with him at the start of last season as a striker.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Having seen how effective he was at LWB and given he’s two footed I’d quite like to see George Cooper at RWB. Because of our quality players in the left Cooper Would certainly get space down the right and from what I’ve seen I’d be excited to see what he’d do in a RWB role. Also like to see Aimson come in at RCB who is good in the air and can bring the ball forwards.

Dec 3, 2005
Refreshing to read a thread that stays on topic and hasn't degenerated into a mud slinging competition.

Back on topic :) Cooper looked good and Definately balanced the team up. I am sure this week free of a Tuesday game, will work wonders, both tactical and injury wise. :scarf:

Feb 25, 2008
First live game of the season for me on Saturday, so all the usual caveats about that but it appeared to me that there might be a few problems that we could solve by sacrificing a striker and playing an extra body in midfield. It doesn't mean being negative, just changing the way we build it up.

For one thing, it seems that opposition managers have cottoned on to man-marking Edwards in the same way as the smart managers in League 1 realised that you had to man-mark David Fox to stop the ball getting to Carey and Lameiras. The Oldham strikers when they closed down our defenders seemed to be deliberately angling themselves between the defenders and Edwards. So very often there was then a long pass forward that went astray. So if we are going to play this way then we need more short passing options out of defence.

Then there's obviously the Riley problem. If we have more cover in midfield we can play Byron Moore or Joel Grant when he's fit, and let them bomb on a bit. The attack then comes much more down the sides with the midfield acting as security.

So something like, when all fit: Palmer; Aimson, Canavan, Josh Grant; Joel Grant / Byron Moore, Sarcevic, Edwards, Baxter / Cooper, McFadzean; Mayor; striker. Striker is any one of Telford, Byron Moore if he's not RWB, Taylor, Rudden, or Lolos. Mayor can play directly off the striker, run past him etc etc.

The other solution could be to use the same personnel as Saturday but to ask Baxter or George Cooper to drop back a bit alongside Edwards to provide more passing options, bring Mayor more central and play more of a 3-4-1-2, rather than 3-1-4-2.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The stats back up the lopsided feel to the team ...

42% of attacks have come from the Argyle left side which is the highest percentage in League Two while 22% of attacks come through the centre, the third lowest; and 36% of attacks have come from the right side, the second lowest in the league.
21 of the 24 teams have the right side as their strongest area of attacking play.

Jun 2, 2016
PL2 3DQ":22bgzvzs said:
The stats back up the lopsided feel to the team ...

42% of attacks have come from the Argyle left side which is the highest percentage in League Two while 22% of attacks come through the centre, the third lowest; and 36% of attacks have come from the right side, the second lowest in the league.
21 of the 24 teams have the right side as their strongest area of attacking play.

so if just 3% of attacks move from left to right we are perfectly balanced on the wings ...
some teams are dangerous on the right, some on the left - it's not an issue in itself - we just need to improve the quality all round