Long ball - why? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Long ball - why?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
up_the_line":3i5o2api said:
Having said all the above I was impressed by the left back who seemed beyond his years. Perhaps there's a possibility for Sawyer to slot in at left centre back?? He's running out of pace a bit to play full back (although not to the degree some people say) but his reading of the game and positional sense are good enough at centre back and on first impressions he's as mobile as Wootton

A rare event but I agree with you, although I haven't seen Canavan yet. Seems to me that our "first header" has moved from left centre back (Bradley) to right centre back (Edwards), what we need now is the ball playing, mobile one on the left hand side - and that ain't Wootton!!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
up_the_line":32omaiq5 said:
If he hadn't punched then we're not talking about Taylor hauling a player down for a penalty because we're up the other end after a kick from hands.
The spill from a soft shot directly to a striker is worrying.
I don't recall any specific saves where I thought he shouldnt have been saving it
I didn't say he's crap, I just rate Matthews as better overall based on the 2 occasions I've seen macey play to date
I note you don't disagree with the rest, ie. the back 4 is weaker than last season.

Not sure yet about full backs but we are certainly weaker at CB. I know I’ve mentioned it before but I still don’t know why we didn’t offer a better contract to Sonny.?

Sep 6, 2006
up_the_line":3vyouuay said:
Cobi Budge":3vyouuay said:
Cobi Budge":3vyouuay said:
JannerinCardiff":3vyouuay said:
I really think DA has made a mistake not bringing in at least 1 CB who has more pace (but possibly less aerial ability) who can pass the ball and is decent when pressured. He has brought in 3 CB’s none of which are quickish nor possess that sort of ability on the ball to help us build from the back.

It is early days though, maybe a decent partnership can be formed with more time..

This for me.
The centre back pairing, on first impressions, looks vastly inferior to the Bradley / Vyner partnership at the end of last season. We've gone backwards at centre back in terms of mobility, pace and distribution
On first impressions I'd also say we've gone backwards at right back too after Threlkeld.
The only improvement across the goalkeeper and defence currently looks like being the lad at left back

What's Macey done wrong?

MOTM in both of our opening games for me.

Looked very dodgy when he spilled the ball from a routine shot first half... Fortunately the striker following up was offside otherwise we'd have been one down. Punched an easy catch and 30 seconds later we concede a penalty.

He also made a number of good saves which kept us in the game.

It's not Macey's fault Taylor decided to needlessly drag his man to the ground.

OK so a keeper makes 2 howlers costing his club 2 goals but because he saved some other shots he had a good game in your book?
In that case Karius had a blinder in the champions league final. OK he ballsed up twice spectacularly but he saved a few others. 9/10[/quote

You do know the final score was 1.1?!]

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Yes.
I was talking in general terms about goalkeepers. Cobi referred to a few saves Macey made as if they would excuse any mistakes.
Fortunately his first clanger wasn't costly because the striker was offside. His second mistake led directly to the penalty. Of course Taylor pulled the player down, but Argyle wouldn't have been defending a second high ball into the box if he'd taken the simple catch on offer.
He wasn't appalling. But a few smart stops weighed against those 2 gaffes don't convince me just yet. Hoping for an error free game when he next plays

May 8, 2011
It could be argued that Taylor has cost us points in both games so far, as he was at fault, by not doing his job in the wall, for the second goal at Walsall and giving away the penalty on Saturday.

Jul 13, 2006
up_the_line":w2csg7qx said:
Pogleswoody":w2csg7qx said:
up_the_line":w2csg7qx said:
If he hadn't punched then we're not talking about Taylor hauling a player down for a penalty because we're up the other end after a kick from hands.
The spill from a soft shot directly to a striker is worrying.
I don't recall any specific saves where I thought he shouldnt have been saving it
I didn't say he's crap, I just rate Matthews as better overall based on the 2 occasions I've seen macey play to date
I note you don't disagree with the rest, ie. the back 4 is weaker than last season.

I think he got down quickly to 3 or 4 shots that other keepers may have conceded. Really difficult to compare keepers if one lets it in but the other saves it. I'm in the Spion/Lyndhurst and was behind a couple of shots into the BP end that I thought were in tbh!

I'll bow to your judgement on that then. Unfortunately I think he'll have to be doing a lot of last gasp stuff with the centre halves in front of him so hopefully snap shots and one on one's are a specialty
Really hoping Grant and Canavan (?) have some pace or mobility to bring to that position, or at least an ounce of distribution
Haven't seen enough of Grant, but from what I saw of Canavan at Torquay you may be disappointed.