Len Casey MBE RIP | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Len Casey MBE RIP

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I have just taken a call from his daughter to say Argyle's former captain, and latterly my very good friend, Len Casey, has passed away, aged 91. He suffered a nasty fall in March and never truly recovered. He was recently hospitalised with pneumonia and died very peacefully last night (Sunday), surrounded by his family. Signed from Chelsea in December 1958, in a joint deal £15,000 with Wally Bellett, he is one of a special few who have captained an Argyle side to promotion. Those who played with him tell me that his class was obvious for all to see. A series of troublesome knee injuries meant we never really saw the best of him from January 1960 onwards but many young players of the day - amongst them Richard Davis, Colin Buckingham, Stuart Brace and Dave Roberts - each told me how much they benefited from playing alongside him in the reserves. He also coached the SWL team in the evenings

292053456_1440937663035508_2095638549035331343_n.jpg

DSC_0220 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
RIP Pilgrim

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
I remember being quite excited when Argyle bought Len Casey & Wally Bellett. Although never 1st team regulars they had still played a lot of 1st team matches for Chelsea, so seemed ideal signings. However, after our promotion season both seemed to fade away into the reserves. Len never did show any real form again, although I seemed to remember that he was a regular feature for the reserves for several seasons after. Memory Man says that Len suffered from a series of leg injuries - this would explain a lot, but I don't recall anyone mentioning it at the time - I wish they had. A sad ending to his football career.

Jan 11, 2016
Sad news - I remember Len always having time to sign our autograph books. I managed to get a photo of him with my Brownie 127 - no smartphones in those days - in front of the old offices on the right as you went through the big gates. It wasn't a great snap but he was happy to sign it. Wonderful memories of great times.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Sad to see his passing. I certainly recall the WMNs carrying pics of both Bellett and himself at the time of their signing, It was at the end of a week, I remember as a kid, but I am not certain as to whether they were immediately thrust into first team duty that Saturday.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Sad to see his passing. I certainly recall the WMNs carrying pics of both Bellett and himself at the time of their signing, It was at the end of a week, I remember as a kid, but I am not certain as to whether they were immediately thrust into first team duty that Saturday.
They were, still reeling from the shock of Ted Drake saying "We have accepted an offer from Plymouth. Go to the Secretary's office where you can collect a single rail ticket from Paddington to Plymouth, valid tomorrow". So they played in the First Division at the Hawthorns on 13 Dec 1958 and at Home Park a week later in a game against Hull.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
RIP Pilgrim.