League 1 - 22/23 Financial Data | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 1 - 22/23 Financial Data

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424_180740.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_180740.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Screenshot_20240424_180755.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_180755.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20240424_180937_com.twitter.android_edit_334548480310408.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_180937_com.twitter.android_edit_334548480310408.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_20240424_181136.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_181136.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_20240424_181853.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_181853.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 204

South Hams James

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 10, 2011
Slightly off topic, but, 'IF' we did go down, it would be good to see us do something similar to Ipswich last season and purchase Championship ready players / keep players on Championship salaries to have the best chance of an immediate return, then be able to push on immediately the following season. With a team that already know each other and doesn't need a complete rebuild. This of course is a risk. But i feel with Portsmouth, Derby and hopefully Bolton going up, League 1 next season would be our best chance of an instant return. lets all hope this isn't needed.......

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Couldn't see this mentioned elsewhere.

The excellent Kieran Maguire has released some financial data for last season.
All things considered, it only highlights our incredible achievement of winning the title.

Interestingly, that shower up the A38 were the only side to make a profit!

Full thread for those who might be interested.
Surely the two phrases "that shower up the A38" and "only side to make a profit" do not belong in the same sentence? Personally, I find it highly creditable.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Slightly off topic, but, 'IF' we did go down, it would be good to see us do something similar to Ipswich last season and purchase Championship ready players / keep players on Championship salaries to have the best chance of an immediate return, then be able to push on immediately the following season. With a team that already know each other and doesn't need a complete rebuild. This of course is a risk. But i feel with Portsmouth, Derby and hopefully Bolton going up, League 1 next season would be our best chance of an instant return. lets all hope this isn't needed.......
whichever league we're playing in next season, we'll need a significant rebuild

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

If we can’t recruit championship ready players now and pay championship wages already what makes you think we can if we go down?

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Interesting to see Pompey's model was similar to ours last season wages at Pompey must have been less than Argyle as they paid more in fees
Maybe Pompey will also struggle next season if they are following the same model as us

Reactions: Floyd Pepper

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
Only if you want to go into serious debt with huge risks. We don't have anyone to pay off massive debts if we don't get promoted, and those Championship ready players will want near Championship salaries.

If we go down we should continue to do what we've been doing, outsmarting the competition with less money and finding ways to increase revenue to level the playing field.

Sep 22, 2020

your post loses its credibility including this comment. On what basis are they a shower???

Fan owned, making a profit and upper mid table where Argyle were not that long ago. All very credible to me and clearly the way to go for most lower league clubs who seem and endlessly to jeopardise the very existence of the club by over spending for a couple of seasons success.

Ask Torquay fans what they would like just now!

Reactions: Moorlander

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton

your post loses its credibility including this comment. On what basis are they a shower???

Fan owned, making a profit and upper mid table where Argyle were not that long ago. All very credible to me and clearly the way to go for most lower league clubs who seem and endlessly to jeopardise the very existence of the club by over spending for a couple of seasons success.

Ask Torquay fans what they would like just now!
It's impressive that they're able to make a profit, but it was only around 1/4 of the previous year's effort and both of those were made up almost exclusively of transfer fee income.

They have less than a third of the cash available that they had in the last accounts too.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020
But when your business model is precisely set out to develop and sell young talent this is surely as good as 'operational income'. The envy of Argyle for many years. Maybe not going forward.

Of course that model may not last for ever and relies upon key individuals remaining in post which i believe has not happened recently at the Exeter academy with the loss of a key individual.

Dec 30, 2020
The stat I find most interesting isn’t posted on the thread.

Argyle generated 4th highest revenue in the league, higher than Bolton and Portsmouth who had bigger average crowds than we did, and much closer to Ipswich, Derby and Sheff Weds than average crowds would suggest

This is partly down to the club staff doing a great job selling and delivering commercial packages and merchandise. They probably don’t get enough credit. But I think it also speaks to Argyle being a bigger club capable of grabbing much higher levels of interest than people realise.

We’re the flagship sports team across two counties with 1.7m people, which has lots of attractions from a commercial and sponsorship perspective that other clubs can’t offer. The number of people supporting from far flung parts of the region or who have to move away altogether means that crowd sizes understate our fanbase in a way they don’t for other clubs.

If I was touting Argyle for investment, this is a line that I would be pushing at every opportunity.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I can’t figure out how on earth Forest Green had such a low wages as a percentage of revenue. Where on earth do they generate revenue given they are watched by one man and his veggie burger? You do wonder what is really under the bonnet of some of these data